Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Goodall Hawaiian Guitars...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile
Anyone out there ever see or play a James Goodall guitar? Saw the koa on his site www.goodallguitars.com. it looks beautiful , a lot of the guitars look awesome on that site. Anyone know what you have to drop to get one of those babies? I could trade my youngest daughter and a few cats!...Ken.

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  2:19:10 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 Goodalls, one koa/Engelmann, one Big Goose Spruce/mahogany. Both Grand Concerts, both from about 1995 (old - and good - style). Both in A1 condition. Both bought used for $2K and $2.2K, respectively. Both super wonderful sounding and very slick action. Sarah and I also visited James and Jean at their workshop for about 4 hours, a few years back and learned and saw lots.

Used, primo condition Goodalls are one of the sweetest spots in the market. New, some models go as high as $6k, depending on woods, like highly figured koa or special inlays. Last I looked, Big Goose was Unobtanium - the few sets left were in the multi-K range by themselves, before the rest of the guitar.

I also like the look and sound of the older models lots more than the new. Jean, super businessperson that she is, said that the newer designs were "to stay abreast of modern trends". I say they were to make the construction less expensive. However, many "old style" guitars are being made by demand, special order, but you pay for the "vintage" styling if their crew has to make one. James only does 2 steps in every guitar's manufacture: routing for the binding and sanding the lenticular shape of the top (after the body is complete) until he gets the sound he wants. Goodalls are very thick around the soundhole and thin out towards the edges. James built a humongous belt sander out of a disused church cross (truly) in order to do the top sanding. Their production was about 320 per year, 5 years ago, and I think it has about doubled since then - hence the availability of primo used examples on the market. James really isn't interested in guitars much except for designing them. He is much more occupied with Baroque flute - his dog is named Telemann,after the Baroque compser.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

(BTW, Kevin Brown played my koa one and said "The notes just jump off the strings!" and Andy, AKA Admin, used to love it, too when he had no nails. Slackkey Bill was impressed with the Goose's resonance when I took it to Maui a few years ago. This is just to let you know that I am not the only one who think they are great.)

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Ken,

Attended a Keola B workshop earlier this year, and one of the driving reasons was to have a chance to hear his guitar(s) up close and unamped. Was not disappoined: he brought along his mangowood. Pure honey.

But what definitely stood out most for me was a guy with a Godall koa sitting across the room. The guitar produced a sound that demanded immediate attention. Deep, rich, sweet, loud (but not boomy). Also, refreshingly, the guy knew what to do with it--perhaps having as much to do with the sound as the dead wood and glue.

Whatever, the experience drastically altered my 'dream list' for when I hit the Lotto...

-d
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  01:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
For those who like a little risk added to their guitar purchase, there are usually 3 or 4 Goodalls up for auction on eBay at any given time...usually going for between $2K and $3K.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

(BTW, Kevin Brown played my koa one and said "The notes just jump off the strings!" and Andy, AKA Admin, used to love it, too when he had no nails.
Nails or no nails, Goodalls are great guitars.

I've particularly had my eye on the koa/englemann combination. And always one weak for a good deal, it's true that there can be some great values found on the used market for these instruments. I almost pulled the trigger and bought a used one once but the reality was that I had neither the money nor space for the addition. So to date, no Goodall for me but my eyes and ears are always open.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm in a decision process right now to get a Goodall- koa and cedar. I'll have to trade a Taylor Koa and a RainSong to get it, but it's in the thinking queue. Everything that's been said is true. I asked the "Goodall guy" at Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad, CA - the largest dealer in the nation, BTW- what James does to get the sound and he claimed that not even James is sure. The sound is just there. I'd buy used if I could play it, first.
Go to Top of Page

indy
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  5:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I just visited his shop the other week and played a bunch of his instruments. Honestly, I'd trade in a Taylor Koa and Rainsong in for a Goodall any day (I've had both). They all sound really good, but obviously different from model to model. Actually, their base model sounded the best to me unplugged. Of course it was slacked...
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  08:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Terry, I wouldn't be so concerned about playing a guitar first before buying, *IF* you do your research up front. Out of 10 guitars that Sarah and I own between us, 8 were bought unheard or unplayed. 4 were used and the rest built for us. Andy's McCollum was also bought used and sight unseen and it is stellar. The keys are:

1. Know what you want *exactly*. For instance, wood combo and size and *maker*. Example: I do not like large guitars (for several reasons) and, so, a Goodall Grand Concert (OM sized but slightly different shape) is the largest I would get - but that's my preference.

2. Know the person or business that is selling the guitar. That is not as hard as it sounds. Just do an archive search on r.m.m.g.a. and 13th Fret for the seller's posts or references to the seller in other posts. And lurk in both places. (BTW 13th Fret has a Classified Ad section and the folks who hang there jump on bad things.) You should also know about the rep of commercial sellers. For instance, Cotten Music in Nashville, McCabe's in LA, Serious Strings here in CT all are super reputable. I would believe anything that Kim Sherman of Cotten or Brian at SS told me about a guitar - but you gotta ask the right questions; they are not mind readers. Tell them how you play (light picker, gorilla, whatever) and what music you play and what you expect. Especially tell them about dropped tunings. Check their web sites regularly for inventory and/or email them your wants. Get jpgs of the guitar from all angles and closeup. I even heard one guitar played over the phone. BTW, BuffBros gets mixed reviews - it seems to depend on the phase of the moon :-)

3. Get a 3 day approval period. If it does not meet your expectations, you are only out shipping. You can sometimes make a deal with a private seller to share shipping costs. During that period, take the guitar to a local tech you trust, if you notice anything funny that was not told about up front.

4. Expect any used guitar to need a setup - especially a fret level (especially CA guitars that dry out and pop frets regularly) and fret dress in addition to nut and saddle mods for action adjustment. Should cost about $175 for a complete tune up. Expect minor dings, but I have never gotten one that had anything I wasn't told about or that was cosmetically serious.

Most of our new guitars are Sarah's (built for her) and we share one, The used ones are all mine, except for 1 mint Gurian that we are selling, which is Sarah's. The funny thing is that we played that one a lot before buying. But, after a while, we lost our taste for its sound and its narrow neck.

Do your homework and you will work it all out.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile
You guys are killing me. Thanks Reid and Indy.
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  03:17:33 AM  Show Profile
James guitars are winnahs!
Used Goodalls are definitely your best bet- you cannot go
wrong with any wood combination he builds up.
I ordered a new Koa Grand Concert a couple years back (discounted but still pricey) but have no regrets
Im convinced the Goodall magic tone comes from James build involvment( as Reid described) of him shaving the soundboard.

Have fun Goodall shopping!

enrico

Edited by - enr1co on 06/23/2004 03:23:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  09:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Enrico, that is killer! I also know exactly how it sounds :-)

James actually selected koa trees personally a long time ago. His wood room is like a lumber yard. I couldn't get over the quantity or quality.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  2:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Thnks for the kind words for my GC!
Like yourself, had the opportunity to meet James and Jean
at their shop to pick out the wood for this guitar.
After going thru his woodstock and being veto'd by
James, I figured I would let the "master" do the
pickins'. This guitar has exceeded expectations in
all areas. On that day he also shared an intro to
to Baroque flutes

BTW, heres a link to the owner of the Goodall Royal Hawaiian pictured on James site-

http://stringsnthings.org/hsguitar/Gallery/KJCK_gal.html

http://stringsnthings.org/hsguitar/Gallery/index.html
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Finally got to hear a Goodall Koa Grand Concert Guitar that belongs to a friend of a friends he got used in Columbus Ohio. Yeeoww! That sound is sooo rich and clear and really projects!..And talk about beautiful...I love the look of that finish!...the feel...the action...great picture too enrico! Now if everyone who sees this could just send me $100.00 each I could probably get one pretty soon.!!...wow....Ken.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  8:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Reid, what are the construction differences between the old and newer models? I can see the modified bridge shape, what else? Dont see a lot of em round these parts, Lee.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  10:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kid,

There are several differences, mostly external.

You saw the bridge; it used to be truly winged, and larger. Actually, bridge size and weight have an effect on the sound.

The end of the fretboard used to be a modified classical arc with the corners truncated and everything beveled. It was the lovliest fretboard ever.

Bindings were wider and James made his own purflings of cherry, maple, etc and layered them. The wider bindings gave a tad more prtection.

The rosette was wider abalone and had a different concentric ring design.

The tuners were different, but that was mainly due to what was on the market at the time. HOWEVER, they were all much better operating than current tuners. He had a stash of true West German Schallers, that I have on one, that have ZERO backlash. The Gotohs were better then, too.

It was easier to get custom nut widths (altho' you can do it now if you try hard). They were using different templates on their neck pattern carver (kinda like a 3-D pantograph).

I'll try to post some pix later, so you can see.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:27:42 PM  Show Profile
Actually, the Goodalls did not change the pix of the old style fretboard ends and rosettes. Pix are at http://www.goodallguitars.com/tops.htm#sitka/koa

They now call those rosettes "premium", but they used to be standard. Note also the fretboard ends.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000