Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Seeking HYN guitarists and/or vocalists in SoCal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HomeDog
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I live in Newport Beach, Orange County, California. I am looking for a Hawaiian vocalist and/or another experienced slack key guitarist with whom to play and perform traditional ki ho'alu and mele. I have been studying and playing with master kumu ki'hoalu Uncle Mahi Ka'imikaua (originally from Moloka'i) in Torrance for the past 5 years. Unfortunately (though fortunately for them!), Uncle Mahi and Auntie Iolana are planning on moving back to Hawai'i in the near future. I have compiled a repertoire of about 100 slack key hulas and meles that were taught to me by Uncle Mahi, and others, over the past 5 years that I would like to share, and work on, with similarly interested and experienced devotees of the art. I am particularly looking for a vocalist (seems there are more good guitarists with bad voices (like me!)than there are good vocalists, regardless of guitar skills). Leave a message if you live in the Orange County or LA areas and are interested.

Mahalo,

HomeDog

Edited by - HomeDog on 06/22/2004 7:50:38 PM

steelguitar
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  02:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey HomeDog,

Would you have any interest in getting together with an acoustic steel player. I play in the same style as Bob Brozman and have always wanted to hook up with a slack key player to do the same type of thing that he does with Led Kaapana and Cyril Pahinui. At least it might be fun just to get together and pick some. I'm up in Palos Verdes. Let me know if your interested & we'll hook up.

Aloha
Go to Top of Page

HomeDog
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  7:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Steelguitar, Please list your contact info. As and aside, I haven't met Keoki yet, but I studied with George Kahumoku when he was living up in Santa Cruz before moving back to Maui this year. I would be interested in getting together and just comparing chops and seeing where it goes from there. - HomeDog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  8:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha homedog!

i've heard of you, through uncle mahi! i live down in north san diego county, but have taken about eight lessons from him (my parents live in torrance). i've not seen him in awhile, his schedule and mine got a bit busy. he's a very good and patient teacher, and he has said some great things about your playing.

hope to meet you sometime, keith
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  10:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Good luck in your search. I live in Laguna Beach but just started playing and I don't sing so you would not benefit from jamming with me. Please post your gigs so we can enjoy. Happy Sunsets!

Happy Sunsets
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Tim
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  3:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Tim an AOL message
Aloha,
Well, I sing a little bit, but not well versed in hawaiian language. I'm a haole raised in Honolulu (What? You nevah go Punahou? S'mattah you?)I was blown away be a live performance by Leo Kottke at the U of H and so love that style. But I've been doing slack key mostly, now, for the last several years. I'd like to meet you sometime.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

SoCalHaole
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  11:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi HomeDog,

Let me know when you guys get together. I live in Rancho Cucamonga, and I am willing to drive. I play a six-string Kamaka ukulele. When I sing, at least they do not throw things at me!

-Nick

Edited by - SoCalHaole on 07/19/2004 11:48:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

stevendesalvo
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  6:31:46 PM  Show Profile
HomeDog:

I'm looking to hire a slack key guitarist to perform at a memorial service for my wife on Sunday, August 1, 2004, from approximately 6 to 10 p.m. I expect about 125 people will attend, perhaps more. It's at Descanso Gardens, in La Canada Flintridge.

Are you available for hire? Please let me know. If not, can you recommend someone else? Many thanks.

Steven De Salvo
323-225-5554
323-839-7040
steven_desalvo @ yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  8:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha HomeDog,

I'm in the Diamond Bar area. I didn't learn my slack key from really anybody - I've just been playing for about 35 years now. Let me know if you guys get a thing together like they've got down in the San Diego are.

I do like your approach though - too many on this forum seem completely out of touch with the notion the 'mele' is about the WORDS not the music.

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

mikaele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  3:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Aloha no, all you guys that submitted.
I'm interested in jamming, but I live up in the West San Fernando Valley. I could hele down there some times.... 'Elua makahiki ko'u i 'olelo Hawai'i in Manoa, aka, nui ka po'ina i Kaleponi. I sing, also, falesetto to emergency bass. I don't consider myself good--I used to play with Joe Keawe and others that I consider good. Ua hala lakou.
Beyond jamming, I'm interested in forming a Hawaiian equivilant to The New Lost City Ramblers. This was a trio that played many instruments that introduced pre-WW2 country/folk music to urban audiences. Hawai'i has a great musical tradition that includes violin/flute duets, accordion, mandolin, himenes, marches, waltz, etc that should be heard, as well as steel/slack key/'ukulele. I've done some of this with a trio that included my brother Bill, Leihua Ka'apana Nash, and myself. However, we had to reform each time we played!
Yes, I can play all the instruments, but not equally well and certainly not at the same time! Ideally the group would include 4, so we could do 4-part hymns. It'd be real nice to have a female voice/dancer/maybe 'ukulele, but it'd nice just to have anybody! My home phone is (818)999-3129. Work is (818) 756-9086. A hui hou no, Mika'ele McClellan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000