Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke shopping on O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  02:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
It's a full-time job, but somebody's got to do it .

Working from these two links:

dmoz.com search

yahoo.com search

Lynn (wife/financial manager/life coach) and I set out to see what O`ahu had to offer in the way of koa tenor ukuleles. I ran out of steam before we ran out of builders and shops, but along the way we talked to lots of very nice people and fondled lots of gorgeous ukuleles.

Our first stop was with Charlie Fukuba, maker of I`iwa ukes. He's moved his shop into his house after the drastic drop-off in business that followed Sept. 11. He's still turning out terrific instruments, with thoughtful design and careful craftsmanship. He had a demo tenor with a spruce top and three soundholes that had the richness and sustain that made me think of a good steel string guitar.

Down the road a piece, we found Keli`i, with their factory next door to the showroom/pawn shop. They had no tenors, and appear to be cranking out ukes rather than crafting them.

A little searching and cell phoning brought us to G-String, where they again were without tenors. These ukes were recommended by Keoki Kahumoku, so I was anxious to try them. The shop foreman said we might find some in one of the downtown shops.

We took a pass through Waikiki after lunch but the traffic was murder and we didn't want to experience the Honolulu rush hour, so we headed over the Pali highway to Kaneohe.

It was easy to find Ko`olau Ukes and Guitars, and a very pleasant stop indeed. Three koa tenors in their lowest priced line, along with a spruce top and a cedar top. John Kitakis also had a very impressive collection of vintage Nunes, Kamaka, and more obscure instruments, and several of his high end instruments featuring exotic woods and inlays. All these instruments were crafted to the highest standards, and John recommends the plain ones as having all the sound of the fanciest versions.

We were unable to locate Kanile`a, or contact them on the phone, so we left a message. The next day we connected and stopped by the shop. Joseph and Kristen were great hosts, and the ukes once again were jewels. Joe showed me his "super concert" - a concert body with a tenor scale and it was a honey.

After our stop and Kanile`a we headed back to Waikiki and looked through the stock at Ukulele's Hawaii and Island Ukulele. Ukes Hawaii had a terrific stock, starting with an impressive selection of lower priced instruments, and the Keli`is surprised me. I guess you can't judge a uke factory by the neighborhood. Moving upscale, they had examples from many fine makers and a mouth-watering collection of vintage items. Prices were pretty substantial but it was great window shopping. One of the pleasant surprises was an I`iwi soprano that really sang out. They had no G-string tenors, but they had a concert that showed how terrific these ukes can be. Perhaps a highlight of the visit was a "player ukulele" vending machine - put in a quarter and pick a tune, the intricate mechanism fretted the notes and plucked the strings and played a fine version of the tune. The uke was a Ko`olau, by the way, unfortunately with holes drilled through the neck and fretboard for the fretting mechanism.

Over at Island ukulele the selection was much less impressive, most of the instruments were the cheapest tourist ukes, but I finally got my hands on a Sonny D, two super concerts that were very impressive and not badly priced.

You may notice that we didn't make it to Kamaka. There are several other makers and stores that we didn't visit. I hit ukulele overload after only two days, I guess I'm just a wimp. If you're ready to do some serious ukulele shopping, I recommend Aloha airlines.

Fran

El Jefe
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  03:17:57 AM  Show Profile
SO Fran,

What's your choice based on what you have seen so far???

And did the best craftsmanship necessarily also have the best sound and playability

And as Ko'olau said ... the plain ones sound as good as the more expensive fancy wood models... did you find this to be true

Did you try and concert size pineapple models..?

I am enjoying your trip...

El Jefe

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  09:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

Thanks so much for the report! I'm right there with you without sitting in H1 traffic.

Are you still on O`ahu? Any plan to visit Uncle Ray or any kumu while on the islands?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  12:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e fran,

can you feel the waves of envy lapping on the o'ahu shore?

are you going to maui as well?

keith

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  2:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Well, Boss,

quote:

What's your choice based on what you have seen so far???

As Lynn said, the people were so nice you wanted to buy one from each, but when John Kitakis played the all koa tenor it hit me square in the heart. I had to have one. Talk about fun, I awoke this morning hearing Lynn try out her first chords on it.

And, fortunately, the backlog at Kanile`a is almost a year, so I could order one from them and not have it count against this year's instrument budget. Joe had a piece of koa that he was really excited about so I'm getting a super concert made from that, with ebony board and bridge.

quote:

And did the best craftsmanship necessarily also have the best sound and playability

I was surprised at the sound and playability of the Keli`is which were definitely not handcrafted jewels. And Kanile`a lacks the absolute perfection of construction that I'm used to seeing in fine guitars, but they played and sounded great - they really felt right in the hands, perhaps because Joe is an active player.

quote:

And as Ko'olau said ... the plain ones sound as good as the more expensive fancy wood models... did you find this to be true

Definitely. Many of the fancier ukes had spruce or cedar tops, so they sounded a little different, but the least decorated ukes were easily their match.

quote:

Did you try and concert size pineapple models..?

I didn't try any pineapples at all.

quote:

I am enjoying your trip...

Glad to have you along,
Fran

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  2:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Andy,

We've done a great job of being where the traffic ain't, so far.

quote:

Are you still on O`ahu? Any plan to visit Uncle Ray or any kumu while on the islands?

We'll call Uncle Ray today and try to set up a visit. We're still on O`ahu until Sunday, then off to the Big Island.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:

... are you going to maui as well?...
Keith

Aloha, Keith,

Our next stop is the Big Island. We spent a month on Maui last year learning a little about the neighborhoods and falling in love - unfortunately I fell in love with Kula and Lynn with Kahana - oops. We're going to the other islands over the next year or so to check out real estate. After this trip we'll have to come back to check out Kaua`i and Moloka`i. Tough job, but we've been in training.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  6:33:25 PM  Show Profile
mahalo plenty for the fun talk story @ uke shopping. I'm in the market for a koa tenor. It was a good read. Any advice for me. I own a Mele koa concert and Mele pineapple concert. (Know anything about Mele out opf Maui?)I love the pair . Still I'm curious about whatever else is out there. My $$ is limited (sigh). But I want a higher end tenor or none. I will be on Kauai and Hawaii this July.
Aloha

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  9:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hi, Buddy,

I visited Mele a couple of years ago, but that was before I was ready to buy a uke.

I really don't have any advice, except to save up for what you really want. I sure think my Ko`olau is a terrific uke, but I have fun with a plywood Lehua as well.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  01:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
We should have a rating system for ukes, since we don't always agree on which brand/type is worth spending big bucks on. Inlays, abalone and exotic woods aside, we could rate playability and sound on a scale like this:
1 star: Put it in the toybox for the kid to play (or break)
2 star: If you listen closely you might recognize a chord, but it won't stay in tune/bad intonation, tourists only
3 star: Good enough for the back porch kanikapila, loud enough to annoy, will stay in tune through a few songs, but goes haywire after "Wai Hu'i Hu'i"
4 star: Good sound, stays in tune, decent intonation
5 star: "Take out a loan, brah, dis one is good"
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  02:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Fran...
Mahalo nui for your in-depth tour of 'ukulele makers and instruments, but <sigh> what about the baritones?????? Did you see any? Did you play any??? don't be cruel.... <G>

Big Island luthier you might wanna call is Dennis Lake of Po Mahina Strings, he lives in South Point/Na'ahlehu area - has some of his 'ukes in Hilo,and mebbe in Wainmea I think - he's at Merrie Monarch this weekend, but should be home again by the time you see this message. He's building me a curly koa/ebony baritone. Please give my resepects to Madame Pele. Ou hui hou, Cathe

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  07:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Cathe, baritones were nowhere to be seen on my tour. Sorry, pal.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  10:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi cathe,

i have a martin baritone, and my friends who bave baritones have either martin or kamakas. one friend, george hoshide, plays his martin baritone tuned up to GCEA with
the high G even, and it sounds great.

i'm a huge fan of john kitakis, and he makes baritone ukes, see http://www.koolauukulele.com/models-prices.html

i bet your po mahina bari is going to be beautiful. i don't know why baritones aren't more popular; they have a beautiful tone. i don't play mine a lot because i like the shorter scale of the tenor, but my baritone sounds great.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  02:26:23 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Keith,
I don't know why the baris aren't played more either, but hey, they jus' don' know wha' they missin', eh? I love the lower voice.
Your Martin sounds terrific, I'll try that tuning, and I'm off to check the site nooowwww.

cathe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000