Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Need an appropriate song for funeral
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  6:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I had already posted this on Flea Market Music when I thought this might be a better place.

Can anyone help with an appropriate song for a friend who just passed away? He was from Hawaii and loved his Hawaiian music. He and his friends and family played every Saturday. He played his Kamaka soprano but really rocked on the homemade washbasin bass.

I would like to play an appropriate song on my ukulele for him. Does anyone have an idea? If you can post the music I would be grateful. It would be better if you have a recording of some kind. I am still a beginner but will do my best to learn any song no matter how difficult.

Thanks in Advance

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  8:28:13 PM  Show Profile
I think it's always best to play one of the deceased's favorite songs or hymns. If you don't know one, there's probably a few uke versions of "Kanaka waiwai" out there (I don't play uke, so I don't have one.)

Edited by - RJS on 06/23/2004 8:29:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  12:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Listen to Iz's "White Sandy Beach"

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  12:45:17 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about your loss. "Aloha Oe" might be appropriate.

Edited by - Kahalenahele on 06/24/2004 12:47:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile
I suggest either Aloha Oe or Hawaiian Soul. Kanaka Waiwai is also a good suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your support and advice.

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile
"Hawai`i Aloha" -- often mistakenly sung at the end of island-themed events (sigh...) -- was written by Rev. Lorenzo Lyons to "celebrate" the passing of a loved one:
http://www.huapala.org/Hawaii/Hawaii_Aloha.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  8:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

i've never heard that hawai`i aloha was written with the death of a loved on in mind... that's interesting. the words seem more like an anthem to hawai`i than a funeral song.

i arranged a version of "aloha oe" for my father in law's funeral a month or so ago. i remember reading in "na mele o hawai`i" that queen lili`u didn't intend for it to be played at a funeral - she meant it to be a love song - but the sadness of parting and the hope of seeing someone again is so well done in that song.

some people use "ku'u lei `awapuhi" for funerals.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  10:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

Your version of Aloha Oe was quite appropriate. Your choice of "happy" chords made me smile and cry along with you. I thank you for sharing this song with me and allowing us to help you carry the aloha you felt for your father in law. We know him through you.

God bless,

Dave

PS: Kevin Brown shared some great stories about Ned Ka`apana. Upon returning home from Moloka`i I picked up his album "Pana". I think his version of "A Place in the Sun" would be a wonderful song.

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 07/04/2004 10:30:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  8:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Try Ipo Lei Manu - it's is a funeral dirge.

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net

Edited by - trlau on 07/26/2004 8:05:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000