Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Ledward at 19 Broadway - Mini Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  04:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Whee Ha!

Oh man, we had one good time tonight. They named a very attractive Mai Tai after Led tonight and he liked 'em pretty good.
At one point(at least) in the second set, he started laughing and couldn't stop, along with the whole house; you all know how infectious Led's laughter is!
He talk alotta story tonight!

To the music; Led introduced us to his lovely assistant....his Graziano "HulaCaster" 'lectric uke for a few songs, while local slacker Donlee accompanied Led.

I was meaning to ask Led at break if he ever played Kolomona slack key any more, and what did he play last song of first set, but Kolomona SK! Da man's psychic too. It was pretty short, but I no complain.

Led had a lovely cousin, Sharon, come up to dance
Puamana , and later I Kona.

I think my favorite of the night was Dennis Pavao's "Mama Mama", which he did very sweetly with lots of embellishment. That was a treat for me as I've never heard anyone do that song.

He did a strange & funny interpretation of Ku`u lei Awapuhi complete with references to bumblebees and various anatomical parts.

Has Led always done da little slide things up around the twelfth? really sounded like a picked lap steel...loved it brah! how you do dat?

Some other songs he played:

Wai Ulu
Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai
Ku`u Lei Awapuhi
Maika`i Ka Makani O Kohala
Ka Makani Ka ili aloha
almost forgot his Elvis impresssion; "Can't help falling in love"; wish he had finished it though, pretty good.

(sorry, can't remembah da rest)

He popped his third string prepping for the hana hou and played right through to finish with "Hawai`i Aloha" runnin' on five.
A fitting finish for Led, the party animal.

This was Led's second of THREE shows in Marin THIS WEEK, yow.
I spaced the first but after tonight, I'm going to the third one for sure.

Led'll be at Sweetwater saloon in Mill Valley, Thursday July 15th.
Go hear him if you can.

Edited by - rossasaurus on 07/13/2004 9:10:24 PM

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The "steel guitar" thing is a series of artificial harmonics. By way of explanation, natural harmonics are those that occur on the open string. The easiest to play are those at the 12th, 7th, and 5th frets. But it is possible to play harmonics on a fretted string, by plucking and muting with the picking hand at the halfway point on the closed string. So if you finger a G (in Taropatch) at the 5th fret on the 1st string, you can sound an octave harmonic at the 17th fret. A at the 7th fret, harmonic at the 19th. Led is fretting up around the 9-15th frets, so his harmonics are beyond the end of the fretboard, and he's constantly changing his posittion to split the string in half. It's quite a technical, difficult move, and he can play extended melodies up there. Artificial harmonics also allow him to bend, hammer, and slide the chimed notes, for even more of a steel guitar sound. The guy is amazing, isn't he?

See you at Sweetwater. Gonna make it to the workshop?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message
Led did the harmonics in the key of C playing Penei No. I was hanging on to the melody for dear life and trying to watch him at the same time. It was beautiful.

Donley
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  11:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hey Donley,
you did great!
I know what you mean about the focus; it DID seem like Led was testing you in a way; puttin' you on da grill!

I enjoyed hearing Led's accompaniment on the "western" piece too.

Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000