Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guitar Storage/Display
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  1:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Cmdr

Not so sure about how overrated the humidity thing is. I have a Taylor nylon string that started showing close to extreme signs of what Taylor calls "wet guitar". It wasn't very playable. Since establishing my "special room" -- basically my music room that has a/c and a dehumidifier -- it seems to have forgiven and forgotten and plays just fine now. Granted, here in Hana, Maui, we had an exceptionally wet winter/spring where the relative humidity seemed stuck at no less than 80 to 90 percent for nearly the entire season(s). JMTC

Duke

P.S. Mahalo for the tip on Black Diamond. I'm going to try them.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've had a couple instruments crack from the dry air and others that never showed any ill effects here in the fairly dry inland northwest USA. It really depends on the guitar and the moisture content of the wood and how it's acclimated. A friend who collects and sells vintage guitar and stores approximately 150 Martins, Gibsons, Larrivees plus misc. banjos, mandolins and ukes at his store has had to add interior humidifiers to particular guitars, some worth $10K-and-up to stop cracking, separations and warping.
I try to keep a guitar in each room of my house (except the bathroom), but stored inside cases to protect them from my two-year-old son. Of course, most of my guitars range in cost from free to about $200.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Lopaka
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2004 :  01:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Lopaka a Yahoo! Message
Before when I just had one guitar, I didn't even think about this topic. Like RJS, I liked to keep it out and close to the music stand so I could start playing around whenever I felt like it (which is most of the time)... However, now we've got way too many. It would be nice to have them "on display", even though none of them are particularly expensive! I've got my original Fender, plus a cheapie traveler full-size, and just got a nice Martin travel size, then my kids have one full size, and two ukes! Yikes, time for kanikapila

H a w a i i a n ..at heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000