Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sonny Chillingworth materials...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  8:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Peter,

I cannot express how much I enjoy your dropping in to share your insights and experiences. Your anthology will surely be of great interest and a gift to students for generations to come.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  12:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Dave:
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  12:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Peter:
Your Web Bio site is down.
Additonal On-line lessons would be GREAT!
Here too, I can't seem to to find a place to get on your mailing list. I listened to your stuff at the site below.

Gary

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2340.htm
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  03:28:35 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Peter, You can't inagine how each of your posts has become a reference work on the subject under discussion. Just about a week ago I located your first-ever thread and presented a link to it so that a valuable view could be reconsidered. Last night at dinner, we just happened to discuss copyright law and, again, what you posted about that was referred to. Coincidentally, your CD Ko`olau was playing at the same time. And, I use it as a sonic target for learning how to mix tracks ( you are a one man band, for sure).

Please check in whenever you have the time and please keep us posted about your work.

me ke aloha pumehana,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  08:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Peter, I'm glad you brought up Peter Moon. I have most of his recordings -- at least the ones available on tape and CD -- his work is phenomenal -- and the more I listen to it, the more I respect it. I very much shy away from any form of "missionaryism," but the closest I get to that is trying to make sure my friends and acquaintances give Moon a good listen to.
put me on the list for 2 copies of your book.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'd like to second the admiration for Atta Isaacs.

He isn't only one of the best slack key guitarists -- he is one of the finest guitarists of all time, in any genre. His harmonic sense was second to none -- and his chops were nothing short of jaw dropping. And yes, I'm including him in the same group as Django and Charlie Christian and Jimi Hendrix and Segovia and ....

Had Atta Issacs been better known outside of Hawaii the whole concept of steel string guitar playing would have taken a very different turn than it did.

Thanks, Peter, for bringing him up -- but no need to include any of his transcriptions in your magnum opus -- this boy would never be able to play 'em!

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think it's worth spending the $15 for stropes, in comprison to Mark's book. First of all, I don't want to play like Sonny, or anyone, note for note. I want to learn their stuff, and learn from it. It times I want to play one of their pieces -- it's perfectly ok for me to deviate. -- a word on that in the ps -- AND, I think Marks version gives one enough material -- then pick up the CD and listen hard -- you can get an excellent version with Mark's material and a bit of work -- plus you get a bunch of other songs to boot.

PS -- I love the Picasso comment to the effect that it's ok to copy a master -- and that your individuality as a artist will be found in those places where you "make mistakes" or deviate from the original.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  07:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Jazz musician quote:
"There are no wrong notes--but there's BETTER notes!
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  04:07:17 AM  Show Profile
Peter,

I do so look forward to purchasing that publication. Thanks for the post and Aloha in the New Year!!

Jon M
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  07:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Peter,

As always, a very insiteful read. Please do announce when the Anthology is ready, perhaps we can buy it through the TP buying links?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  05:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone seen tabs for Sonny's Liloa's Mele? It is a beautiful piece for sure. Thank God for tabs; if I had to listen and watch to learn slack key, it would take me a very long time before I could figure out the fingerings. Thanks!

Jon M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000