Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor tuning on a Fluke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  7:45:33 PM  Show Profile
As I was picking out a melody line for "House of the Rising Sun", surprise, I ran out of bass. Actually, the first note was out of range. For various reasons, I don't want to transpose the melody.

So, I did what any member of this board would do, I slacked off the 4th string to an octave lower. No surprise, it sounded awful. I found an old used G-string from a classical guitar set that never got tossed, "barely used" I'd pencilled on the package, and swapped G-strings. It sounds very nice. The chord shapes I'm learning stay the same, but sound better to my guitar-atuned ears. And I can start the melody on A as it should be instead of doubling the following D. The only downside, I hope, is three black strings and one clear.

QUESTION - what about tension? Just from how the new string feels compared to the other strings, I think there is no problem. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if someone knowledgeable agreed.

Secondary question - the chord finder link that Andy gave has a tuning applet, and the tenor tuning has the low G, so that's what I'm calling it. The Fluke isn't really a tenor uke, I think, so is there a better name?

I was going to post this on Jim Beloff's site, but I can't get past the home page; it just hangs.

Thanks for any help,

Pauline

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  8:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Pauline,

The original Fluke is just slightly larger than a concert and are usually tuned GCEA. However, I've seen it in print that they can accommodate a "low" G. At the Flea Market website their online store sells low G sets that you might want to try.

Glad to hear your intonation problems are going away. Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

--Pops

Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  3:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
I ran across a reference to Low G tuning on concert and tenor ukes at ukuleleworld.com. They use a wound string (no reference as to diameter) for the low G. There is a strong admonishment about not tuning these sets to standard tuning
The brand is Hilo Strings and they are black. I've checked other brands and not found any for low G tuning. I plan to buy some of these soon for my concert size uke.

These things ARE fun.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  5:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
there are ukuleles and there are guitars. there's no right way or wrong way in music. however, there is a "ukulele sound". it comes from re-entrant tuning (ie., high G).

do what you like. enjoy your ukes.

but you might want to give the traditional ukulele sound a bit more of a chance. there are a variety of ways to achieve melody playing on a uke that is strung re-entrant.

jerry moore has a wonderful book/cd set called the "ukulele secret" that leads the way. try chord soloing.

and please remember, it's a uke rather than a tiny guitar.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  5:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I was trying to avoid a wound string, mainly for esthetics, but the more I play with the nylon guitar string, the tubbier it sounds. Now I'm searching by price - Juststrings and Elderly have them; maybe Webstrings, maybe FQMS.

Ukes are adorable!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  5:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I just saw your post, ukejackson.

Yes, I am trying to make it a tiny guitar, I suppose. I'll have to order both kinds of strings, give both tunings an honest try.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  8:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
pauline, try a set of hilo or ghs tenor strings (wound 3rd). i have this set up on one of my 1940s gretsch camp ukes (soprano size) for playing low down dirty bluz. a wound 3rd should work well on a concert fluke.

my only point (i hope) is that you give the unique uke sound a chance. likewise, there are always baritone ukes -- which are strung like the high four on a guitar. i play a bunch of irish trads on the bari uke. (i also string one of my tenor guitars this way).

don't worry about it though. soon you'll want a uke or 2 for every possible tuning variation [;-)]

have fun. i took my triumph uke to the river beach today and had a ball strumming. folks there loved it.
peace and ukes,
uj

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  01:40:47 AM  Show Profile
The Fluke came to a strumming party tonite, no, not slack key, darn, and was passed around. One fellow held it in his lap and used a pick and a brass slide on it. We all got a laugh, but it sounded pretty good!

ukejackson, the wound thirds are for high G tuning? So for low G it would or at least could be 2 wound strings, 3rd & 4th?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  12:38:21 AM  Show Profile
Pauline,

I use Hilo "Low G" strings on my tenor ukulele. They have a wound 3rd and 4th. They sound great. One source is Roy Cone: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_str.html

I also tune to GCEG. It makes playing my taro patch tunes have an entirely new voice.

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  02:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Dusty,

Thanks. I'm going to try combining my uke string order with a guitar string order if it's possible. The search is on. Ta-da!! (Well, maybe tomorrow.)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000