Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 tenor 6-string uke tuning?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  10:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone, my husband bought a 6-string tenor uke at Mele on Maui, but cannot remember how to tune it? (He is new at this.) I know that one set of strings is identical, and one set is tuned at an octave apart, but which is which? Mahalo nui, Julie

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  04:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha from Maui, Hawaii!

Wow! a "lili'u"! I have one myself! Well, I passed it on to my Daughter. I bought it during the late 60's, early 70's! Yikes the price of a "Kamaka" today is between $400.00 up to $500.00! I only got mine for about $90.00, and w/case a little over a $120.00 (give or take).

Anyways, about the tuning....It's like regular tuning G-C-E-A (piano) with the exception of the base/octive string, and a high/octive.

top string: is G

2nd. string: is- C

3rd. string:(or the octive string) is a (high C)

4th. string: is- E

5th. string: (or base/octive string) is tuned low- A

6th. string: is regular- A

The key to tuning a 6-string correctly, is to (match) the octives w/the regulars...It's then just a matter of one being high, and the other being low! Am I confusing you? Geez I hope not! Ha! ha! ha! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  02:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have a friend (a little clueless) with a tenor Lili'u uke and he had a guitar shop string it for him. Unfortunately, they just doubled the first and third strings rather than make them an octave. I'd like to change that for him. Any recommendation on strings? Size? Do you buy two different sets and select what you want?
Any help appreciated. Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  11:26:57 PM  Show Profile
GHS (and others) make sets for a Lili`u. See http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-h-l6.html

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  01:48:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Hapakid!

That's a really odd way to string-up a Lili'u! They probably didn't know how to properly string one. Some Ukulele players with a Lili'u
would take off the base, and the high octave string. But it's a Lili'u ukulele players preference. I personally like that deep/harmonious sound it gives a lili'u.

Anyways, Kamaka has the Lili'u strings, and as do other's like Hilo Strings. Then there's the website Dusty gave! As long as your freind gets a proper set of Lili'u strings, he'll be good to go, and will be able to enjoy the sound of a properly-strung Lili'u. A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  2:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks Dusty and Slackkey!
But I noticed on the Just Strings web site that they list two strings of the same size for the doubled strings on a Lili'u. Does that sound right? Wouldn't that give you one tight and one slack string if you made them an octave apart?
Jesse Tinsley
Uke man of Idaho

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000