Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Man Who Knew Too Much!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  01:05:57 AM  Show Profile
So I finally checked out "cpatch's list". This is a wonderful cross-check for those of us who thought we had everything--and a great way to find new tunes with material to help us learn 'em!
What else am I missing in our taropatch?
Thanks to cpatch for a nice resource.
G

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  03:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My pleasure! Have you checked out the SoundClick page yet?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  02:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Gettin' there...thanks.
Think I found my "Hawaiian" name..."Uncle Joe"... as in "There's Uncle Joe, he's..."
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Help me.
Where do I find "cpatch's list" ?

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Jim, you can find it here: http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm

Craig
The Man Who Played Too Little

Edited by - cpatch on 08/05/2004 5:42:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  11:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Or on the main forum page, it's the last item under the "Slack Key Instruction" section.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  4:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow Craig, thanks for sharing that. Thats a lot a work.
When do find time to play slack key? Between heading toward 2000 post and compiling list like this...
Thanks

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  5:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hah! I don't find enough time, hence my signature in this and the previous post!

Craig
The Man Who Played Too Little
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  8:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Greetings all -

I just scoped out Craig's very complete list of slack key tunes available in written sources. Holy moly!

I don't know if this is any kind of a deal or what, but you should know that quite a number of the arrangements in the book Keola and I did together, Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, are not Keola's, nor did Keola play them on the accompanying CD. It's pretty easy to tell whose are whose, as the ones I did don't sound anything like Keola's steller playing and arranging.

In the hopes of avoiding confusion, here's the list of my arrangements in the book:

Kuwili
Pu'u O Hulu
Pa'ahana
Lei Ohu
'Alekoki
Hula O Makee (based on Uncle Ray's playing)
Sase
Hilo March
Matt's Bounce (I wrote it for Brada Matt Manewa)
Keolaokalani
Ahi Wela
Pupu O 'Ewa
Wehiwehi 'Oe
Ki Ho'alu (based loosely on Leonard Kwan's playing)
Sweet Leilehua
Hame Pila
Isalei
Ua Like No a Like
Playful Popoki (wrote this one, too)

Likewise the second guitar parts on Ki Ho'alu Mischief and Tiare Tahiti are my work, for better or worse. Keola arranged both parts of Akaka Falls, which is why it sounds so good.

Although Keola has recorded many of these same songs, in every case his arrangements are quite different, and it would be unfair to him and his fans and students for me to pass off my arrangements as his.

The purpose of Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar is to give a broad overview of many of the styles and tunings heard in slack key, not to be a manual to teach any one particular player's approach. For that reason Keola and I decided to divvy up the work the way we did, with Keola offerring insights into the background of each song, playing tips, and valuable commments on how to acheive the proper feeling. In addition, we included a number of songs intimately associated with him, his slack key style, and the Beamer family.

We musta done something right, 'cause a lot of folks have bought the book since it first came out. For which we are both extremely grateful.

Oh, just to make things even crazier -- sometime during the long writing process Keola sent me a handwritten manuscript of Kamakani 'Olu'olu, an original tune that had sat in a drawer since the '70s. I ended up playing it on the CD, for reasons I no longer remember. (I think the phrase was, "How the # @ %#$ does it go??!!??")

Thanks,

Mark Nelson,
who wishes he'd play more, too

Edited by - Mark on 08/11/2004 8:06:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  12:45:39 AM  Show Profile
I didn't initially notice whether Keola or Mark were the designated players...most of us were just thankful for good materials, and something to shoot for in our playing.
It's good to know the info, so as we develop, we are wiser buds.
Which leads to a new question...
about people's Unpublished Materials...but that's a new topic.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  6:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Mark has a wonderful CD, Slack Key Guitar Solos and Duets that contains complete versions of some of the tunes from book. http://www.mark-o.com/products.html

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000