Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Led at Kapono's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We're enjoying O`ahu even though we're catching a little storm action. It's worth a lot just to be able to make the Tuesday night Ledward gig at Kapono's. Tonight Led played with Alika Odom of I Kona, and the years these guys spent playing together really showed. They were able to stretch tunes to the breaking point and Alika followed Led into the wildest twists and turns. Even a little shower didn't seem to dampen spirits, the rain poured off the canopies and the music poured off the stage.

Thanks to Lynn, my life coach, I even got a chance to do a few numbers with Ledward. I tried to be subtle, planting my guitar case at the foot of the stage, but Lynnie went further by engaging Alika in conversation about our anniversary. After the break Led called me up and we did three numbers - "Salomila" to get in the mood, "Ku`u Ipo Onaona" because I'm nuts, and "Slack Key Lullaby" even though Led had already done a version that was stunning. Needless to say this was some kind of peak experience and one that showed me just how far I have to go to become a real slack key player.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  10:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Awesome Fran. Thanks for the report. Can't believe I'm going to miss you by a day in San Jose. Next time.

Aloha to you and Lynn. Have a great time on O`ahu.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  1:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Andy, I sure wish we could figure out how to hookup so I could learn your "Double Slack Swing." Right now we're being visited by something approaching a mild hurricane - still not as exciting as playing with Led, of course.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by fguidry

Hey, Andy, I sure wish we could figure out how to hookup so I could learn your "Double Slack Swing."
That's a deal! Not sure when but let's do it. And maybe you can teach me Saimin Slack Key `Ekahi and Monorail Slack Key.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  12:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Fran,
Congratulations. Were you nervous? DId you geta chance to warm up or did you play them cold?

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  01:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
And maybe you can teach me Saimin Slack Key `Ekahi and Monorail Slack Key.

Andy, I'll be glad to show you Monorail, but I never have figured out Noodle Slack Key #1. I mean, it was noodling, ya know?

I thought my retired days were going to be one cool road trip after another, but so far it hasn't happened. I still expect to show up on your doorstep someday, though.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  01:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Gary A

Fran,
Congratulations. Were you nervous? DId you geta chance to warm up or did you play them cold?

Hey, Gary. I was pretty nervous, but it all happened so fast it didn't have time to get to me. I didn't warm up before the show, in fact I sat there and drank a beer and ate a salad during the first set. What I did do was practice pretty carefully during the day in hopes of getting on stage that evening. I made a point of practicing standing up so I would be ready for that, and I'm sure glad I did. I also tested my pickup during the day before the show.

It was certainly humbling to play through my arrangements and hear Led doing his spontaneous musical commentary, finding harmonies and counter-lines in the spur of the moment that sounded like finely honed compositions.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  7:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Aloha Fran, Good to hear you putting your talent to good use. Enjoyed your music and uke at Gary's kanikapila (thanks again Gary). Looking forward to next time... Hiram

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  10:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Hiram, thanks a lot for the kind comments. I really didn't know you had brought your uke, see, and I just wanted to hear what you thought of the Ko`olau and ... but ...

Seriously, it was inspiring to see and hear you in action. I wish I could be there for your Fair gig. Hope it goes great.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  10:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Fran. What an experience.
While you are in Oahu you might check out MaunaLua, I beleive they play at Dukes this afternoon.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000