Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila on O`ahu - August 2004??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  10:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm staying out Kailua way, brought a guitar and an ukulele, and would be grateful for a chance to play. Our phone here is 262-6341 (but it's busy a lot because it's our internet connection) and my email is fguidry @ yahoo.com. I'll travel anywhere for some music.

I'll be at the Slack Key Festival on Sunday, hopefully down front, wearing a black T shirt with a mamo on the back and a black ball cap.

Hope to see ya,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  7:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We have another message thread going on the Waihe`e jam http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1940 so I'm putting a link to my web pages covering our O`ahu trip here.

http://www.fxguidry.com/hawaii2004

Thanks to everyone who was so hospitable and generous and made this such a memorable trip.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  10:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing them. I saw some familiar places and others where I've never been. Thanks for the quick cyber trip!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  02:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the photos, Fran, so we could see you and Led on stage with Alika. Nice!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  11:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey fran, it's great to see the photos from the trip! you do more in one trip to hawaii than i do in a year's worth of trips...

i especially liked the photos of kimo. i love his `ukulele style, and didn't know he did slack key too. how did you meet up with him?

keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Keith,

Kimo leads the 2nd-Sunday-of-the-month kanikapila at Ward Warehouse. We were really lucky to stumble over the event and I had a fantastic time. While I was playing my wife was working the crowd, and met a friend of Kimo's, so she arranged an introduction that way. We hooked up again at the Slack Key Festival, and then I prevailed on him to come by the house. He stopped by for the kanikapila that we photographed and posted, and he also visited for a very enjoyable dinner the night before we left and gave me some more tips. I've been practicing a little chord progression he showed me on the uke

C6 Cdim7 Dmin7 C#maj7 Cmaj7

I'd have to show you the chords to give the effect, because it uses the high C as a pedal and only moves that note for the final chord. It sounds very sophisticated yet playful.

Kimo's slack key is very nahenahe, and like Kevin he demonstrated that the slack key should grow naturally from the singing. He apparently learned from his family as a kid. He uses a brush on the 2nd and 4th beat bass notes, and sometimes elaborates the brush into a separate little figure in the bass. It's beautiful to hear. He's also very charismatic. All the ladies in our party got a little faint when he came around.

While I was waiting in the Kahului airport after you dropped me off, plucking on my uke, I looked up and found Kimo with two cases under his arms. He was returning from Maui after doing a recording session and picking up not one but two new Eric Devine baritones. When he started to play he attracted the attention of another musician in the waiting area, and before you knew it we was jammin'! That kind of stuff doesn't happen very much when I'm flying on the mainland <grin>.

Thanks again and again for suggesting that I visit Maui, and for putting yourself out to taxi me around. You know it was one of the peak musical moments in my life and I owe it all to you.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  12:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Fran, Thanks for sharing your photos. I also enjoyed your posts to Taropatch.net during your trip. It sounds like you had a great time.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  2:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Glad you enjoyed the commentary, Gary. We had such a good time that we're shopping for real estate.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
OMG i love the way Kevins brother plays that bass!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  7:25:52 PM  Show Profile
FRAN! How I enjoyed your photos! I lived "on and off" on Mokolua Road in Lanikai in the 70's. Had a boyfriend in the Hawai'i Air National Guard who rented a house there, and we woke up everyday to that beautiful sunrise over the islands. How I long for those good old days....

So Alika is playing again with Led? Several years ago I got the major stink-eye from Sharon (Led's wife) when I mentioned to her that I got some great photos of Led and Alika in Santa Cruz. Guess their split was a painful subject at the time. Glad to see they are talking (and playing) again.

And that Kevin Brown! I got to meet him at George's workshop last year, but I never got to see him in person with that bass on his lap. I've missed out... Gosh, I miss being in Hawai'i.

Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 09/19/2004 7:28:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  11:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e fran,
quote:
Thanks again and again for suggesting that I visit Maui, and for putting yourself out to taxi me around. You know it was one of the peak musical moments in my life and I owe it all to you.
woof! i had as much fun as you!

i expect to hear a few variations on "grandfather's clock" the next time i'm in waihe`e ; that was fun to hear in slack key!

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  01:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Julie. We sure can't afford anything down in Lanikai, and we're coming off some pretty decent NorCal real estate. Seeing Led and Alika together was quite an eye-opener. With Alika providing rhythmic foundation, Ledward just went for it on his pa`ani and fills.

Keith, I hope everyone listens to Leonard Kwan do "Clock." That was the source for my version. It's pretty simple, loads of fun, and as you say just calls out for lots of variations. And thanks again (I'm up to about six mahalos and only owe you about 94 more).

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000