Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Surprise Mendocino performance, help with PA!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  03:42:37 AM  Show Profile
So after my husband and I left Lark Music Camp outside of Mendocino last Saturday, we went to the Mendocino Art Center, where they were having a special celebration of Japan. The woman in charge was from Honolulu. When she found out we played Hawaiian music, she BEGGED us to perform for the festival, anytime, any length, please, please please...

Soooo, fools that we are, we changed into our Hawaiian clothes and proceeded to the little stage that was set up. We decided to play acoustically, as it was a small venue. However, after one song, she came over with a "sound man" with dreadlocks named "Human", who set up this one mike for us, so they could hear us all over the area.

Well, "Human" got the PA going and then left to do something else. As we were playing, the single mike which had been aimed at me for voice and was supposed to get both ukuleles as well, was sinking slowly. After several songs it was down by my ankle. Meanwhile, all those songs I had known for years and had recently played at several music camps seemed to escape me. I lost some chords, forgot some words, etc, and meanwhile watched the mike lose its luster.

The only thing I could say to Larry after we escaped the place and he asked "What were we thinking?" was: "Stick with me kid, there is an adventure around every corner!"

So now we know:
1. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
2. We need a small PA that we can use and control. Simple, one mike, pickups for two instruments, a small amp. I'm sure others have come across this type of scenario. Any feedback? Aside from turning down all offers for performing?

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 08/13/2004 03:45:03 AM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  12:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Can't help you with the PA, 'cause I use an amp, but on the performance side ....
A similar thing happened to me, so .... I now have a memorized short set that I can "whip out" at any time consisting of a half dozen songs. Before I got an ongoing gig (which provides me with an opportunity to keep the set current in memory) I practiced that set at least twice a week. It worked. Next time I had an "impromptu" invite, I launched into my set and played as best as I could at that time. I said that "at that time" 'cause I just recently listened to a tape I did back then .. I almost embarrassed myself. On the positive side, it does show that with continual practice you can get much better.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

There are a few decent choices for an Amp/PA that you
would like. You have seen one in action for several
years now, and that is George's Carvin StageMate. You
can get it with one speaker or two and it contains a
battery so that you can play without AC available.
(Only $350) It has four input channels, which you should
consider a MINIMUM. (for two mikes two instruments, etc)
You will find that you sometimes need more than the three
channels you just asked for, and it is very troublesome to
come up short.

Another Unit worth considering (and I have been eyeing it
myself) is the Fender Passport, which has SIX channels. I
often find that the four channels on My Carvin (just like
George's) are too few. The throuble with the Passport is
that it is pretty heavy, and I am not sure how well it
will make it through Airline Luggage (yes, you should
consider things things in advance) $750 or so, I think.
I bought a six channel Beringer Mixer as a "channel extender"
for my Carvin (also works on batteries).

There is another thread on this topic so also do a search
on "PA" or "Amp".

You can try out our one anytime if you promise to bring it
back in a reasonable time.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/13/2004 12:48:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
We've often debated the virtues of "easy" PA systems, and there are several ways to go.
I was asked to sing at a luau last week and had to quickly come up with a PA something-or-other. And after looking at what to buy, I also realized I would need another mic stand and another mic (already had one) and another cable or two.
My choices, on a no-money budget, were:
1. A cheap one-box mixer amp and separate pair of speakers, minimum $300 at the store, $200 online. Too expensive for right now, plus a lot to lug around for a one-guitar gig.
2. Mixer-amp-speaker-in-one-box, multichannel roller PA (none locally available, only online) with prices $200-$350. Too expensive, but easier to move. But I needed something quick.
3. Buy a separate mixer, power amp and speakers. Because of the cost of a true PA power amp this would have been $400 minimum. Plus, I would still need some kind of reverb or effects unit to make it all sound good. But I was only playing for a plate of kalua pig and a piece of coconut cake, and I only play a few times a year.
What I finally did was buy a basic six-channel mixer with a built-in digital effects module for reverb/delay, about $120. Along with that I picked up a basic condenser mike to pick up my uke, a mic stand and a chord and the total was $180 for everything. Then I plugged the whole setup into (everyone hold your nose) a guitar amp which I already had.
It didn't sound too bad! On the upside, it was my cheapest option, I had close-at-hand control of levels and effects, and I could position the little amp farther away to control feedback. Also, I now had a small mixer and mics for computer recording, which I am starting to dabble in. On the downside, feedback is a problem with an open-back amp and the volume available was limited. It would also be nice to have two speakers to spread out the sound. But the little set up worked for the small group.
I bought an old laptop shoulderbag for $5 at a thrift store and the mixer/mics/cables fit nicely for travel. Mic stands are still clumsy though. The other advantage of separate mixer and amp is that if one piece breaks, the whole unit doesn't become worthless because repairs can cost as much as a new unit.
But whatever you choose, you'll have fun with it.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 08/13/2004 6:39:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000