Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Need recommendations for adding a pickup
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  10:14:33 AM  Show Profile
OK TPers,
I admit to having this new (for me) guitar and I need to add a pickup. So I'm asking the best source I know for advice. It's a Goodall Grand Concert, Engleman Spruce and Rosewood; no cutaway. I'm not a regular performer, but I do plug in occasionally. Looking for a decent setup that I can likely get at my local guitar shop. I know they carry Baggs stuff and maybe K & K. I have a Fishman standalone preamp if that matters - it may influence what goes into the guitar.

On the same note (no pun intended), I'm also looking for advice abouts amps. I have a Fender Blues Delux tube amp left over from my electric days. It works fine, but may not be appropriate for acoustic playing, although Herb Otah, Jr used it one time for a local gig and it seemed to be OK for his uke. It's certainly loud, but that's most of the problem. I'm willing to trade this in. I know a little about the California Blonde and the small Fender acoustic amps. Any suggestions that won't cost me a fortune?

Thanks na aikane

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Boy you are going to get quite a few opinions about both these
questions!

You can search for earlier threads, as there has been a fair
amount of discussion on these topics. I would search for "amp"
or "PA" and "pickup", etc.

A better site for gathering data on acoustic pickups and such
is the "Gear" forum at the Acoustic Guitar Magazine site. More
in-depth and lots more opinions.

The main thing you will hear is "use your ears" for answers to
both questions.

I have explained my Gear in some of these other threads that you
will need to look at (at both sites), so it need not be repeated
at this point.

That is certainly a nice Guitar you have, so get it at nice pickup !

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/24/2004 11:03:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

On the same note (no pun intended), I'm also looking for advice abouts amps. [snip] Any suggestions that won't cost me a fortune?
Well it ain't cheap, but I think AER amps are awesome. I picked up a used AER Compact60 a few months ago. The smaller Alpha is also great. They're super light, 19lbs and 14lbs respectively, clear and loud.

They're not cheap but the sound and ease of carrying around seem worth it to me. These two models come in a gig bag so you can just throw it over your shoulder. It can handle an instrument cable and XLR input for a mic so you have an ultraportable one man PA.

http://www.aer-amps.de/Editorialbilder/englisch.pdf

Good luck with your search. The good news is that there are a decent number of choices for good acoustic amplification these days. Instead of going for the "acoustic amp", you could also get a mixer and some powered speakers. Choices are good, right?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
The hard thing abou this is that each guitar sounds different with different pickups and with different amps. That said, I put a Baggs Element Active (the preamp is inside the socket) and I like it a lot. I'm using it with a borrowed Fender amp from the 70s, and my Martin sounds very good and natural I think with that setup. When I come to buying an amp, I'll take my guitar and plug it in to the ones I'm interested in. There was a website with short sound files with a wide range of pickups on a wide range of guitars. The Baggs on a Taylor was the sound file I liked best, which is why I went with it. My reading on this suggests that the choice is a VERY subjective one. By the way, some of the soundhole pickups might be easy to audition - put them in and plug in. Guitar store listening is in order. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000