Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 classical guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  8:59:23 PM  Show Profile

I was just given a low end classical guitar and have fallin in love playing slack key on this guitar can someone tell me where I can find Hense classical strings?

Steve

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  9:32:55 PM  Show Profile
There's been a problem with Hense strings in the past few months (sob, sob as they were my strings of choice) -- the American importer is no longer handling them. I can vouche for the problem -- one set of strings started to unravel while I was playing. A pretty close substitute would be to combine Hannabach High Tension Silver (815 HT) bases with Medium/High Tension Carbon Trebles (CAR 1 MHT E-1)

You might want to try some of the cheaper sets too -- these things get very "idiosynchratic" -- i.e. the match between a classical guitar and strings.

Used to love the Hense.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  11:03:34 PM  Show Profile
BTW,
I use Strings By Mail.com
Good service, reasonable price - They were the importers for Hense
Thet carry a wide range of strings -- buy a few different sets to try out.
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  9:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Raymond I will give them a try.

Aloha

Steve
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  7:43:48 PM  Show Profile
I have tried the high tension string on my classical and I am having a hard time keeping it tunned any idea for this.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  7:55:14 PM  Show Profile
This is probably not a function of your guitar -
Depending on the type of string you use -- break in time varies -- nylon's break in more slowly than steel and are more temperamental.
With Hannabachs it usually takes me 3 - 6 hours of solid playing playing before they get set.
The basses set before the trebles.
Then .. nylons are notoriously sensitive to temperature and humidity -- most days I have to adjust them a bit - especially the first and second strings.

Some things to do to help:
- Make sure that when you wind the strings up on the tuners you get a clean wind - don't let them keep wrapping over each other.
- After you put the strings on, and you think you have them pretty set, grab them around the 12 - 15 frets and give 2 - 4 good tugs. Then re- tune. If you need them to set up real fast, you'll do more tugging.
- Most players who use nylon strings don't change tunings very often.

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  9:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Steve and Raymond,
It's a good idea to pre-stretch your strings after you put them on initially, but I think it's probably better for the guitar to grab the string as Raymond says, but at the same time keep downward pressure on the bridge as you pull the string up and away from the neck to stretch them, one at a time, before tuning up to pitch. I usually hold it for about 20 to 25 seconds, then release and tune.
The down pressure on the bridge is some insurance that you are not putting too much lift on the bridge, so the glue joint on the bridge and top is less likely to give way from the force of pulling on the strings.
Some guitars are more likely to be more fragile than others, depending on the strength of the glue joint at the time, because over time glue dries out and loses strength to hold. Also, the stength of the wood of the top comes in to play also along with the glue bond to various top woods.
I don't want to scare anyone, but just be cautious about putting excess tension on bridges, whether steel string or nylon.
And humidify your instrument during the heating season so wood will not warp and crack, and glue joints won't deteriorate prematurely.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 08/25/2004 9:31:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000