Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Acoustic Pick Up Opinions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodT
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:22:59 AM  Show Profile
I have been using a Neo D Fishman Pick Up. Its ok for a magnetic passive, in fact pretty good compared to most in its class. I was wondering , with the technological improvements over the years, what opinions you all might have when it comes to acoustic guitar pick ups? Magnetic, Piezo or Microphone?

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Let me recommend that you visit Doug Young's pickup test page:

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

to sample a few possiblities. I have had good luck with a Pick Up the World Stealth undersaddle film pickup. I also use a B-Band AST, but I prefer not to have batteries and preamps inside the guitar which these pickups require.

A soundhole mag pickup can be a pretty nifty sound, Uncle Ray still uses one. Perhaps the new Baggs M1 which has gotten excellent reviews.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Michael Arago
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm sold on the LR Baggs Element, I've used Fishmans in the past and I've found that they make every guitar sound the same, and have replaced them with the Element.I have them on my two steel stringed guitars as well as my nylon stringed classical They make a differnt version for nylon stringed guitars. Mine we're installed by a local Mendocino guitar builder Dave Matlin who is renowned fror the work he did with Kate Wolf and Gene Parsons (Byrds). I was forunate enough to be able to test them at Gryphon in Palo Alto where they have demo guitars with over a doxen acoustic pickups installed, so you can road test them.I spent over a hour and a half checking them out and found the Element to have a very pure sound as well as a reasonable price($100). They also have a volume control/wheel that fits in the soundhole, for easy access. This pickup gets my vote.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  02:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have the LR Baggs M1 and would definitley recommend it if you decide to go with a soundhole pickup. I've also had a B-Band UST but was not impressed...despite being professionally installed (and being completely replaced once) it had a lot of background hiss.

Note that the M1 sample on Doug's page has a nasty hum to it that I have never experienced with mine.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/22/2004 02:06:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile
On my Taylor Dan Crary I had the standard Fishman that
the Tayor Factory used to install on it's top-end Guitars.

I was never happy with the sound, too "honky", which is
prevalent with piezo under saddle pickups.

I too, went and played the Gryphon demo guitars and choose
the Baggs I-Beam because, in my opinion, it came closest
to sounding like an acoustic Guitar of all the ones I tried
(about TEN different pickups). The only exception was the
most expensive pickup that Gryphon had, which uses multiple
internal contact pickups placed in different locations.
The name escapes me, but the design principle is similar to
the new Taylor "expression" system and the cost was $600
to $700.

The IBeam was only $150 installed and sounded just as good.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/22/2004 4:46:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile
In my tenor guitar, I've had good results with the DHS internal sound mic pickup. Very natural sounding. Installed, it was only around $120.00

Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  09:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks a bunch, fjuidry! This pickup test website was very helpful in evaluating some pickups that I was interested in. I highly recommend this site if you're thinking of a pickup purchase. Of course every pickup sounds different with different amps, speakers and guitars (and maybe players), but this site is a good place to start. LRR
quote:
Originally posted by fguidry

Let me recommend that you visit Doug Young's pickup test page:

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

to sample a few possiblities. I have had good luck with a Pick Up the World Stealth undersaddle film pickup. I also use a B-Band AST, but I prefer not to have batteries and preamps inside the guitar which these pickups require.

A soundhole mag pickup can be a pretty nifty sound, Uncle Ray still uses one. Perhaps the new Baggs M1 which has gotten excellent reviews.

Fran

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000