Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 $2 strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  4:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
If you get the Musicians Friend catalog, you have probably noticed their own brand of USA-made strings they sell for $1.99 a set. I just bought a bunch and put on my first set last night. They're not bad!
I just replaced the set of John Pearse mediums I got at George Kahumoku's workshop in June. I liked those a lot.
If I had to criticize the cheaper set, I'd say they're a little less warm, more metallic. Sometimes the more metallic sound works well with slack key, giving each pluck a harder attack.
The strings feel fine on the fingers and the mediums, which they just call "13's" feel like a true medium, perhaps a bit lighter than the Pearse's.
It's always disconcerting to pick up your guitar and find the two lowest strings, instead of ringing, just go "thud" and you know you have to go string shopping. I've read on a couple websites that boiling the wound strings in water removes the finger grime from the crevices and can somewhat rejuvenate them.
But at $2, it's hard to argue with the price, especially if you change them a lot. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have tried them.
Jesse Tinsley

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
Bob Brozman taught us a dirty trick to get big wound dead strings alive again. Losen them all the way, and then snap them hard against the finger board. (Pretend your guitar is a bow and you are shooting an arrow with the string.) Crud (especially if not too sticky) just flies off! And they do sound better (for a while). By the way, I just love Pearses. Put them on a pretty mediocre guitar like the old Yamaha I use as my beach guitar, and it sounds great.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000