Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 HAWAIIAN REGGAE
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  05:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha guys , just spent a great morning talkin with julian and ky-mani marley (I had a connection), after the Bob Marley , Roots,Rock,Reggae,Festival here in Clevelad,Ohio. I played some percussion in the past with local reggae bands....We got to talkin about places we have been and world wide reggae groups. Well when I lived on Oahu I left there in 74' and didn't know reggae till seeing Bob Marley in 75'. a great concert and I was hooked since. Now for my question...any of you guys on the islands know of any good Hawaiian Reggae? not the dancehall or rap junk, but the good roots reggae sound ,like bob's exodus and rastaman vibration albums? would like to grab a few good Hawaiian roots reggae cd's if they exist?! Mahalo,Ken.

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There is a lot of great Hawaiian reggae of all styles, but my favorites are Oshen, Sean Na'auao, Three Plus and Pau Hana. There are dozens more. But most Hawaiian reggae is heavily produced and relying on synth sounds, so it might not be as raw as Bob Marley's music.
I like Hawaiian-style reggae that still has a Hawaiian flavor, preferably with ukes and without the fake Jamaican accents and references. Pure Heart, Opihi Pickers and others do great uke reggae.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  2:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Ken,
Although not exactly Hawai'ian, my sons' reggae band, Pacific Vibrations, is island-influenced. They're releasing a new CD in a month (?), Eastern Sun, and I just heard them mixing down one song, "Halawa Moon", written by both my sons in Halawa. They uise me as one gauge. It got the "Oh, maaaaan!', then the ili moa (quadrapaligic chicken skin and then it go make my eye wattah.
You can check them out at Pacvibes.com. They may be doing a Hawai'ian tour this November.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  6:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Bwop

Hey, Best wishes to your son's reggae band, and on there release of there first CD!

Of course my first love is hawaiian music,( especially ki ho'alu.)
But since this is about reggae, My favorite reggae band is, UB40 and ASWAD. Infact, hee,hee, I went to UB40's concert last night at the Macc. There were great! i also love my oldies too.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

ryan.agmata
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  1:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Howzit braddah Ken, try and find a group called "Ooklah the Moc" they play some pretty solid reggae, they got two albums out and if your into instruments and fine lyrics this is the band for you!!!!
Shoots Ryan.

Edited by - ryan.agmata on 08/21/2004 1:25:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  6:43:46 PM  Show Profile
The two top-selling reggae artists in Hawai`i are still the "veterans" -- Butch Helemano and Marty Dread.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  3:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
I'm a fan of the old "roots-style" reggae. Ookla The Moc is great! Also, try to catch them live if you can back home in Hawaii.

quote:
Originally posted by ryan.agmata

Howzit braddah Ken, try and find a group called "Ooklah the Moc" they play some pretty solid reggae, they got two albums out and if your into instruments and fine lyrics this is the band for you!!!!
Shoots Ryan.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  9:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha kakou,
Eh, Pacific Vibrations just played Monterey Reggae Festival, where they blew Humble Soul's mind. Now he wants to do the Hawai'i tour with them. Maybe November/December.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:38:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all!...Thanks for the feedback..sorry I took so long to get back...I heard a cut from Pacific Vibes and loved it!!!thanks Bwop..I'll be getting that cd for sure,and wish your son the best on that effort!..Ryan, just heard some Ooklah the Moc!..yeah that's what I'm talkin bout!mahalo!...Oh yes...will pick up a Marty Dread cd too...smooth sound! Thanks Auntie Maria!
And anyone that loves the Roots Reggae sound check out my friends band ... Carlos Jones and The P.L.U.S. Band ...at carlosjones.com Their long awatied cd is finally out to order...let me know what you guys think! Jah Bless! Irie! and Mahalo again!...Ken. p.s. Carlos and I have a folk trio called Los Amigos and we just started playin out (mostly 60's-70's folk) and at times I'll sneak in the few slack key songs I know and people always come up to me later and ask what that solo stuff was! They love slack key out here in Ohio, it's just weird nobody knows what it is at first!...later all!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just heard O-shen's new album "Rising Son" and it's great. He uses his New Guinea pidgin in the lyrics and it's very cool.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000