Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Birdie extinction?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  06:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi TP-er's
I came across this Maui story on CNN.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/01/rare.bird.ap/index.html

It reminded me of the all the disappeared sugar cane fields for my beloved Oahu, and the disappearance of seaweed at Eva Beach, not to mention all the Cond-Condo construction there. Sugar mills are all pau, and Waipahu is now a plantation village tourist site...makes me want to cry. (sigh-sniff-sob)

One day, when I'm good at this slack key stuff, I'll write a song about it.

:-(
-slkho

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha slkho,

I too feel so bad when I see O'ahu. I moved to the mainland some years ago, but still have family and go back and visit plenty still. I remember when I was little and growing up in mililani all of the pineapple and suger cane fields......when Mililani was just new (early 70's), we used to go hiking through the pineapple fields to a place that we used to call paradise...had a pond small waterfall etc.....so beautiful...well that place is gone now with the new models going in there.....we used to go riding dirt bikes where by Crestview back in the early 70's....pau hana now...The ONLY ray of hope that I have seen is on the North Shore......remember "keep the country country"? at least there aren't huge developments all along there, of course I am sure that the pressure is enormous and perhaps it is only a matter of time....but I cry for the loss of the land every time I see what has happened...ALL OVER..I realize people need to live somewhere, but it doesn't make the heartache go away or feel any better......what has happened? What will happen? Will it only get worse? Auwe
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:58:37 AM  Show Profile
My rememberances are only from the mid 60's, but the changes have had a large impact on me. This topic reminds me of a Pat Cockett song recorded by Keola Beamer on Wooden Boats. He only sang some of the verses, but I would like to share the entire song with you:

Kealia

Kealia, all the years are passing by
and now you’re sleeping
you lay dreaming by this salty sea.

Kealia, all the people that you knew
almost forgotten – in this lullaby
of hill and winding stream

Can you hear the workers’ voices
calling your name - from the time
the century turned to sugar cane?

There were mansions on the hill
plantation camp near the sugar mill
a movie house, and churches on the bay.
When railroad trains were filled with sugar cane
this island life was steaming.

Far away, now it seems so far away
far away……………

Kealia, all the years are passing by
and now you’re sleeping
you lay dreaming by this salty sea

Kealia, all the people that I knew
are not forgotten – in this lullaby
of hill and winding stream

I can hear a woman’s voice
saying my name – and I feel her soft caress
all of my days.

These days the sound of traffic passing by
is singing Kealia’s lullaby
And all these memories
leaves that drift away
When I grew up my family moved away
away from Kealia

Far away, now they seem so far away
Far away………….
Far away, now they seem so far away
Far away………….

Mahalo - Me Hawai`i mai loco mai

Dave
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:13:04 PM  Show Profile
TPers,
Not to diminish the feeling of this post, I offer the following:

It's called the Law of Social Entropy (at least that's how it was conveyed to me):

"People will continue to move until every place is equally undesirable."

In the last 40 years, I've lived in Arizona, the West Slope of Colorado and San Diego. They've all eventually been overrun by people seeking greener grass.

There are small atolls in the Cook Islands where we'd like to think they are immune to this. Ask them what they think - they can't wait to get better TV programs. They'd also like to have enough insulin to go around for the diabetics each month. They're willing to trade some of the "old ways" for progress. And in 10 years, when they've got condos on their beaches, they'll also "Remember days when we were wiser and the world was small enough for dreams".

Enjoy every place you go for that moment. Nowhere is it ever going to be better than it is right now.
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile
I do understand the concept, and definitly agree that "Enjoy every place you go for that moment. Nowhere is it ever going to be better than it is right now." Nobody can ever go back to what it was...but remembering how it was, helps us to shape the future...and perhaps maybe never have to sing that phrase "Remember days when we were wiser and the world was small enough for dreams".....of course we all remember the past through rose colored lenses! Its human nature!

D

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  5:29:53 PM  Show Profile

"It reminded me of the all the disappeared sugar cane fields for my beloved Oahu, and the disappearance of seaweed at Eva Beach,"

Well... let me throw some (sugar) water on this lament. The
developement of the sugar cane industry in the Hawaiian Island's
(as well as my home state of Florida) spelled disaster for the
environment at the time. The extinction of DOZENS of species of
beautiful Hawaiian birds was brought about by sugar cane. The
mongoose was imported to control rats and snakes in the cane fields
and then preyed upon the many species of ground (and tree) nesting
birds. I mention this because the extinction of the bird mentioned
above can probably be traced (with out a doubt) to the problems
caused by massive sugar cane growing.

The sugar left-over in the fields after the cane was harvested
(and the fields were burned) is carried into the ocean and causes
an explosion of oxygen-stealing bacteria, which then kill the
living corals, and kills the seaweed (like at Eva Beach) and in
turn kills most of what was an extensive variety of fish. Most
Scuba-Divers are already aware of the fact that most of Hawaii's
reefs are dead or dying (especially around Kauai) and sugar cane
is the main (but not only) cause.

Now of course Condo-Mania may not be any better for the environment
than sugar cane, but the loss of sugar cane fields (other than the
job loss) is really nothing to lament.

(and I did not even mention the destruction caused by the importation
of giant toads to control other sugar cane pests)

F.Y.I.W.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/01/2004 5:31:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  04:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Of course let us not forget that the Hawaiians brought with them sugarcane, taro, rats, dogs, pigs, breadfruit etc which were not native to the islands and did have an impact to a degree, and while not perfect by any means, the kapu system did have ecological checks and balances which prevented things from getting out of control....which didn't happen with the sugar or pinapple industries. Any kind of development that doesn't respect nature is bound to have negative consequences, be it big industrialized agriculture to unrestrained housing/condo development...we at least owe it to our ancestors, and most importantly our children to learn that! I wonder if mankind will ever get it right? So sorry for rambling I guess I just miss something that was and will never be again.............mahalo for listening!

D
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Sorry all,
I didn't want to start one big depress-fest.
All your reasons given I'm sure played a direct & indirect contribution to the causes for all this loss in "old hawaii" (actually, Eva seaweed was simply overharvested by idiot scuba divers)
There are, still, lots of areas still somewhat preserved in Hawaii, (though few) that can still be appreciated and loved. Let's all hope they'll remain. For now, for most of us, what we knew as old Hawaii will be just memories on the wind.
pau
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  09:37:16 AM  Show Profile
While I agree that the world is going to Hell in a handbasket...

It is all relative (who said that?)

Of all the places I have been in the world, or studied and learned about, (and there have been a *lot*) there is no place I would rather spend my last years than on one of the Hawaiian islands (but not in a city), near the water or where I could see it all the time. Too bad I can't afford to.

You should see and experience what has happened in most of the 48 (especially the coastal states) or Europe (west as well as east) or the Caribbean or Africa or...

Hawai`i *still* no ka oi!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Reid. John Maynard Keynes said:

"In the long-run, we're all dead".

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
yup to all of the above... but, one thing i fear even more about hawai`i is erosion in the aloha spirit. this spirit survived the missionaries, and the whaling days, and the plantation days - perhaps it even deepened over these periods - but i fear that the tourism wave is washing some of it away.

keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  5:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
The islands have been an active tourist spot for over a century. And it's not all bad. The places by the sea like Makena are now hotels, but the broken glass and TP at every hang out have been cleaned up. The old have for the most part been able to retire comfortably, not in the plantation shacks with outdoor plumbing. And each generation must teach the next tolerance - you see the big sign on the rock out Waihe'e way last year - not good for aloha. And the tourism money has brought a better standard of living and education to the folks who want it. Those of us on the coasts have gone through many of the same things. Our Santa Monica Bay was polluted for many years. When I was a kid, I never saw dolphins. Now it's unusual not to see them when you go to the beach. The pelicans are back in huge numbers - many bigger than turkeys! So a few people can bring an awareness and make a huge difference in attitude and well-being of the land and the people. And the folks here in the taropatch seem to have it well in hand. The thing with the sugarcane - it's gotta go somewhere - but it's been a dirty crop. I think many of the locals at least on Maui would like to see a lot of it given over as green space. A conservancey like the one which is buying up large tracks of land in the Santa Monica mountains could preserve some space. And that helps maintain the balance of the land and the huge growth and therefore impact, of people. The inner beauty of the people of Hawai'i is contagious. All of us have the opportunity to bring it to our communities, in case it isn't already here.
Thanks for listening.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  5:56:45 PM  Show Profile

Sorry for being such a critic. Yes, some things have been
"going to hell in a hand-basket" for a long time. I remember
an old aquaintance complained of it a few years back, what
with the over-crowding and the kids becomming unruly and all.

His name was Socrates and that was about 2500 years ago.

We humans just manage to show up everywhere, and in bigger
and bigger numbers, it's amazing that we got this far!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  08:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Unfortunately, the only sure way to ensure the continued beauty of any place is to buy it. All of it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
As long as your are remembering and dereaming about things past. I wrote a song recently that seems to fit in here somewhere.

Someday Dreams

Each day I drive to the freeway
And wait to join the flow
We creep for miles and I spend the time
Thinking of my Someday Dreams

I dream of walking upon the moon
And reaching a shinning star
I’ll learn to fly an aeroplane
And buy a brand new car

I’ll win the power lottery
All my troubles will dissapear
There’s a thousand things I want to do
All in my Someday Dreams

I spend my life at the office
Working to 8 and more
My world is a cube without window
Next to the Exit door

Most times I try to look busy
While I think about Nancy Brown
She works close by in cube 29
She’s one of my Someday Dreams

I worked 30 years for the company
And retired with my 401K
I boxed up my life and exchanged the cube
For my home and Someday Dreams

The years went by in an eye blink
Time just dissapeared
I close my eyes and one last time
I think about my Someday Dreams

I didn’t walk upon the moon
Or reach a shinning star
I never flew an aeroplane
Or bought a brand new car

I didn’t win the lottery
Or the hand of Nancy Brown
I dreamed of dreams and I waited
Thinking someday would be soon

To late I know you cannot wait
Lifes just not that way
To live reach out and touch the sky
And don’t get lost in your Someday Dreams.

I got lost in my Someday Dreams

Don’t get lost in your Someday Dreams
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:58:54 AM  Show Profile
Sigh - Sniff - Sob!
So true. Don't get lost in your someday dreams.

Enjoy each day, experience the wonder of everything. Life can pass you in the blink of an eye, and end up being just memories in the wind.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000