Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Birdie extinction?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  12:27:09 PM  Show Profile
For those who want to join the fight -
Kaua`i is battling our buddie Steve Case (AOL/Time Warner) who has bought large portions of the island. He owns the land that was the former Grove Farms and would like to build 3, count em 3, hotels at Maha'ulepu - a pristine and endangered beach just north of Po`ipu. He's currently being held up by an endangered blind spider and a monk seal pup. If you're in Koloa, drop by the Pohaku T's shop on the road to Po`ipu. Buy a shirt and talk story about Maha`ulepu with the owners. (All this as of May 2004). Malama Maha`ulepu.

"Welcome back to the fight Mr. Blain. This time I know our side will win."
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  12:23:15 PM  Show Profile
For those too shy to ask:

Victor Lazlo in "Casablanca"
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  11:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Enjoy every place you go for that moment. Nowhere is it ever going to be better than it is right now.
Well, you can lie down and accept it all, or you can help keep at least a few things as they are forever. I am sure there are places in every state, even Hawaii, where if enough of us get off our duffs, make some noise and make sure our elected officials hear that noise, some of those places can remain as they are.
I feel safe, after ready these posts, in mentioning one tract of l and we could all help keep just as it is, forever. I speak of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge; ANWR. This area, taking up the whole northeast corner of Alaska, is already designated a wilderness area, but the coastal plain, bordering the Arctic Ocean, remains unprotected from oil development.
Our leaders, deeply in the pockets of the oil companies; wait, back up; we are the ones using the oil, so we cannot just blame the producers, but, this administration is hell bent on opening every last bit of untouched land in the nation (we will leave Iraq out of this for now) to exploration for oil, minerals and timber harvesting. There is no reason, other than pure greed, that we need to drill in ANWR. There is no proven reserve, and even the most optimistic estimates still come up against this fact; if the average miles per gallon of each vehicle was raised to 30mpg next year, by the time ANWR got into production (estimates are at lest ten years if we were to start today) we would SAVE more gas each year than there is in ANWR for its whole productive life!
It makes no sense to drill here, unless; you are the driller, and want to knock off the target which stands in teh way of drilling everywehre. If they can open up ANWR, no other place in the USA has a chance of not being drilled, mined or clear-cut. Yeah, Chunky, left to their own devices, they will make everyplace just as undesirable as the next. But, there is a huge anti-ANWR-drilling sentiment in this country, bills to open it for drilling have been narrowly defeated in the last three sessions, but, the balance is shifting the wrong way.
ANWR is unique, in that it is a vast tract of empty land, unbelievably beautiful, harsh, teeming with life (not the "barren wasteland" Gale Norton described it as...why do you think they flew her up there in the dead of winter...this whole state looks like a barren wasteland from the air in winter!). It is unlikely that even 1/10 of one percent of Americans will ever see it, and far fewer evertouch a foot inside it on their own, but the mere fact it is there is the reason it should so remain. We can never make it any better than it is, so let's leave it alone.
If you wish to help keep any of your important special places as nearly as they are as you can, write me personally and i can lead you to resouorces
It is so easy to watch it happen and let it be; but, it is amazing what some dedicated folks can do if they really believe in the cause.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000