Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Sonny D Ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  7:46:46 PM  Show Profile
I've looked for Sonny D ukes here on the mainland but can't find any retailers. There have been a few on E-bay but not too often.
It would be greatly appreciated it anyone could share their views on these ukes and where they can be found. Thanks!

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  12:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm not seeing Sonny D's here in Honolulu either. I've been to three pretty comprehensive uke shops without a sighting.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  12:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

Have you visted Pua Pua in Waikiki? Bruce Shimabukuro teaches there and they have an `ukulele built by one of our members, Akawa341.

http://www.pua2.com/e/index.html

Not sure if they have Sonny D's though.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Couple years back i saw a few Sonny-D's at Harry's Music in Kaimuki, and at the Waikiki Ukulele Store (i think thats what it was called) in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center on Kalakaua Av.They seemed real nice but i knew very little about ukes at the time.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  3:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone.

I've been to the PuaPua website & they have a great selection of ukes. No Sonny Ds, but some of the Cool Ukuleles are really, really tempting!

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  10:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Yeah, Andy, the Pua Pua was very impressive for their selection of midrange Hawaiian made ukes. That's where I tried the Devine as well, but no Sonny Ds that I saw.

Question: is there anything better than plunking on a uke version of "Mauna Loa" while smelling the garlic at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in beautiful downtown Kahuku?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  02:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Fran,
The shrimp sounds ono; grind on some for me.
Hey, knowing the gourmand that is you, I packed one little bag of garlic, sure that you'd be at the workshops tomorrow. Then I read and realized you gone brah! You're not coming back are you?!

I hold your garlic for next time. wonderful Persian Star hardneck from Iran(originally). Skin rubs right off, hot, mmm.

Sorry to go off topic but, for me, garlic, like slack key, is always on topic. I'll say it, UKULELE, ok, I'm on topic again.

enjoy, Hi to Lynn too,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  04:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks for thinking of us, Ross. Who would have thought that varieties of garlic could be a lifetime pursuit. Lucky live NorCal, yeah? Lynn is in one of those heaven/hell situations. She's loving it here so much that she is pained at the thought of leaving, but her charming Golden Retriever pal is waiting for her on the mainland.

Ukulele content - Kimo Hussey is scheduled to stop by tomorrow for kanikapila and discussion of pickup and recording technology. Am I a lucky haole or what?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  03:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Just curious, why are you looking for a Sonny D in particular?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  09:46:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm pretty new to the ukulele world and I love this instrument. I've heard or read a little about Sonny D ukes in various uke forums and the ones that I've seen in pictures looked really nice.

I've tried several different instruments and every one is unique in it's sound and feel. Some that have great reputations just didn't feel or sound good to me at all.

I've found one "just right" ukulele so far and I'm just looking to see if there are maybe one or two more out there.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've seen several G-String ukes and they were all beautifully made. David Kamakahi has a high-end G-String with tiger flamed koa and on-board electronics. But the plainer ones are beautiful, too.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 08/23/2004 12:10:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  1:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
A few years ago when I was even more naive than now, I thought we'd visit every ukulele store and builder on O`ahu. With the ukulele renaissance starting up, my goal was ridiculous, and we burned out after a couple of days (and two uke purchases). I heard lots of contradictory evaluations of Sonny D instruments around that time, but I played a Sonny D concert that looked like a miniature dreadnaught guitar, and it would stun small insects at 10 paces. Sounded good to my inexperienced ears, too.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Hapakid...regarding G-String ukes,

They do look really nice, especially the custom and semi-custom ones on the PuaPua site. I've seen James Hill and he plays a custom
G-String. He and the uke sounded incredible.

And in my past I did have an older used 14 fret G-String concert at one time. But I was still experimenting and wound up selling that one. Kinda wish I had it back though... Well, here's to living and learning!

Go to Top of Page

garias
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  09:23:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by goto636

I've looked for Sonny D ukes here on the mainland but can't find any retailers. There have been a few on E-bay but not too often.
It would be greatly appreciated it anyone could share their views on these ukes and where they can be found. Thanks!

Sonny D is my ex-in law but I still keep in touch. My son (his grandson) loves his pinapple mango uke. I live on the Central Coast in CA & if you need to order anything let me know. Sonny builds the ukes the old fashion way (no website just by word of mouth), he also plays by ear. His ukes are the best that I've ever heard & played. I wouldn't even compare it to the Kamaka...totally different sound. The wood is picked only certain time of the year to ensure the quality sound the uke gives. Mahalo - G
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile
My last trip to Oahu was spent visiting Ukulele stores and Manufactures. Another interesting tour was of the Pawn Shops. There were a good many Sonny D ukuleles in these shops along with a variety of others. My experience says the ukes they have are normally out of tune so come prepared to tune them. I couldn’t tune a paper plate with an electronic tuner as I have no musical talent. There was one pawn shop that had 3 boxes of ukes. Yes, 3 cardboard boxes of ukes piled in together sitting up on a shelf. Can’t remember the name but it was on Smith St. just makai of Beretania. St. If you’re a tourist just get to the Chinatown Lei stands and go one block towards Diamond Head. Remember that you can bargain in pawn shops. Make them an offer. At worst it’s an interesting experience in some of these places. Forgot to say that none of the Sonny D ukuleles I saw were new. They were all pretty much well used. Of course you could read that as broken in.

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.

Edited by - konacat on 07/08/2005 12:21:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000