Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Aloha in the Redwoods Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UncaJohn
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit UncaJohn's Homepage
Aloha!
Yesterday's Aloha in the Redwoods was great! My wife and I had a super day.
The attitude on stage was relaxed and fun. Much laughter. We could have not asked for a better event in a better place. Our only regret is that we did not make it to last year's event. Oops.

Let me tell you, on Hawaii this summer, we got to a number of events. Waiki'i Music Festival, Waimea Midsummer Bash, a house party with John Keawe in Waikoloa, and even Masive Mele in Hilo,.. to name some. When we got back to CA imagine our pleasure at hearing about La Honda. We really needed the fix to help with our starkly adjusted attitudes.

This was a great event in a great place.

I heard a mention of this forum there and joined today. I'm impressed with what you have here.

I'll leave the deatils of who played what to those who can do that better. But I will tell you that it was a nice "round robin" style of line up. I think every player played in a number of configurations. This was simular to what was done at the John Keawe event. Adam Werner, Chris Yeaton and John did a round robin rotation and then played together at the end. Very nice. I like this style. Is it a newly emerging way to present Hawaiian music? I though Patrick Landeza suggested from the stage that this way a new way for this group to work. Interesting.

Well, I won't dominate.

I hope to meet you all soon. Expect to see my wife and me at future Bay Area (and South Kohala) events.

Mahalo for the space in this forum.
John

Let's go back to the valley, one more time. = ) ...Ekolu

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  3:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Aloha John, there were quite a few fellow TaroPatchers there, most importantly Mr. Admin and his lovely wife.

I really like what the musicians do with the stage line-up. Every individual is spotlighted, as well as the different combinations. Keoki has so improved in the last few years, he's comfortable and charming on stage, his singing is right on the mark and when he combines with Herb, it's even better. David and Dennis together, that's a treat as well. And of course, when they all get up there together, it's like a big party. I think Patrick is doing a fantastic job bringing this show around the country.

Great fun. Wish I had a video of yesterday's party. Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:45:25 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

I am confused.... (a common state for me)

Do you mean the party BEFORE the party, the party itself, or the party AFTER the party??

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

UncaJohn
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  11:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UncaJohn's Homepage
Hello again,

And Hi Julie. We did meet yesterday. My wife sang White Sandy Beach in da jam.

Video yes. Someday in the future, I might try to get permission to do that. One of the things that I do for my job is teach Video Production class. I am currently working on a DVD personal project of the Big Island. I have hours of footage, and now all I need is some time to edit - phew. That might be some time, yet.

John

Let's go back to the valley, one more time. = ) ...Ekolu
Go to Top of Page

karen shaff
Akahai

53 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  03:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit karen shaff's Homepage
Aloha everyone,

As many of you who were here know, the La Honda Educational Foundation's 3rd
annual "Aloha in the Redwoods" yesterday was very successful. BIG
MAHALO to all of you who volunteered to help or came to play and enjoy
the awesome music, hula, and kaukau in order to raise money for La
Honda Elementary School. We really appreciate it and enjoyed having you here!

Supporting our schools makes a better future for our children and our
community! We would like to express our sincere thanks and encourage you
to support our sponsoring businesses when you need the
kinds of products or services that they provide.

BIG BIG MAHALO to all of you taropatchers and to the wonderful individuals and businesses who sponsored our event &/or sold tickets for us. You made it all possible!

MAHALO SPONSORS:

Ono Hawaiian Grill - Half Moon Bay
Janet Lawson ReMax Dolphin Realtor - La Honda
Janis Grube, Cashin Realtor - Woodside
Coastside Veterinary Clinic - La Honda
Theatre Productions & Pisani Printing II - Santa Clara
Dancing Cat Records - Santa Cruz
Pioneer Market - La Honda
A Festive Affair - Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Gilroy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAHALO For SELLING TICKETS:

Pioneer Market - La Honda
Coastside Veterinary Clinic - La Honda
Music Hut - Half Moon Bay
Woodside Village Pharmacy - Woodside
Gryphon Stringed Instruments - Palo Alto

Oh, and by the way, did I say thank you?

MAHALO!!!

Karen Shaff
Event Coordinator - Aloha in the Redwoods
La Honda Educational Foundation Board Member
Ki Ho'Alu dreamer...
Mother of twins
and a few thousand other "titles"I won't list here!
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Everyone,

I was happy to see all the taropatch.net ohana enjoying themselves in the beauty of the Redwoods. As I write this note back home in Hawaii, I wish the cool climate of La Honda was here today because of the sweltering heat outside.

There are new songs in the making and a new CD to be released in Nov. See everyone again in Jan. 2005.

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Julie Hendriks

Aloha John, there were quite a few fellow TaroPatchers there, most importantly Mr. Admin and his lovely wife.
Julie - you're too nice. I respectfully disagree!

I had so much fun. Some of the Taropatchers that I had the pleasure of seeing and privilege of meeting in La Honda. Hope I don't forget anyone (although I probably will, let me know). And in no particular order...
  • Lawrence
  • Pulelehua
  • Julie Hendriks & Larry Prather
  • ebige
  • Bwop
  • 5thumbs
  • bobby3dog
  • Stacey
  • Gary A
  • TonyFrancis
  • gordonrburt
  • naukilo
  • hwnslacker
  • karen shaff
I finally got to catch the next generation and it was a show full of variety and skill. I too enjoyed the round robin rotation but the key was that no matter who was on stage, the music was awesome. Sorry to miss the after party and pre-party kanikapila. Although I did enjoy playing a bit with booby3dog at Stacey's urging. Bobby3dog can play!!! I hope that Stacey has a guitar next time so I can hear her play too! Mahalo to Patrick for the Taropatch.net plugs and welcome!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here are a couple of pics. I know that Bwop has more.

left to right:
David Kamakahi, Herb Ohta, Jr., Patrick Landeza, Keoki Kahumoku, Dennis Kamakahi, Kitt Madrid

Julie Hendriks & Pulelehua's back

Not sure how, but I had missed Dennis's post. Yeah, hope to see you again soon. Good luck with the new album project!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here are a few more from Julie:

Keoki & Herb

See caption from above

Yours truly taking the photo of Julie (see above)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

karen shaff
Akahai

53 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit karen shaff's Homepage
more photos of Aloha in the Redwoods taken by Ron Marler at Aloha in the Redwoods 2004 can be viewed at:

http://gallery43994.fotopic.net/c275640.html

I will post some of my photos when I have a little time again! (And when my computer can handle a bit more photoshop transactions - it's pretty full up right now!)

Mahalo everyone for coming and making it such a fun and wonderful success!

Karen Shaff
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  11:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Thanks Karen and everyone else who helped put on the Aloha in the Redwoods. My family and I enjoyed it a lot. The stage show was great - really nice music and very entertaining. I feel bad that I didn't catch Patrick and the gang the previous week at the Little Fox. It was fun chatting with the other Taropatch.net people. I'm looking forward to next year.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

karen shaff
Akahai

53 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  5:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit karen shaff's Homepage
Aloha Everyone!

My Aloha in the Redwoods photos are now ready for viewing at

http://www.karenshaff.com/aloha04/aloha04photos1.html

3 pages - linked at the bottom for easy viewing!

Karen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000