Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tabbing Software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Tim
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  10:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Tim an AOL message
Hello,
There is a program called "Guitar Pro" written by a Frenchman David Gros. It is quite good for the price and will play through your standard midi interface. It will also print out tab. Two great things that are pertinent to slack keyers - you can change the guitar tuning to whatever you want, and it will also convert tab to standard notation. Several tracks can be combined for duets, whatever. you can get a trial at www.guitar-pro.com The full version is about $60.00 and is also downloadable.

No standard uke there yet so, please, you ukulele players, contact David with ukelele tab.

Tim Holtwick

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  12:43:46 AM  Show Profile
I've had good success with Finale for Guitar, at $89. The output is similar to what's in Acoustic Guitar Magazine - they use Finale for their tab.

The one caviat is they have the uke strings BACKWARDS on tab, so I created my own "instrument" that has the proper tuning. It also allows me to do tab for my seven string Hawaiian guitar, has open G, etc. as standard tab options (no wahine, though, as a standard option - you have to define the tuning).

They have a downloadable sample at their site. I will admit it's not tremendously user friendly - I have looked at the manual several times.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  02:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'll put in my usual plug for TablEdit...it's less expensive ($55) and easier to learn than Finale, although it's not as flexible with printing (Finale's strength). I've tried all the tab apps and found it to be the most intuitive. Your mileage may vary. Guitar Pro is also a very good value and is better at arranging multiple instrument scores.

If you're looking for a tab app, here are the ones worth checking out (they all have demos), from cheapest to most expensive:

Power Tab (Free, Windows only)
TablEdit ($55, Windows and Mac)
Guitar Pro ($59, Windows only)
Finale Guitar ($100, Windows and Mac)
Sibelius G7 ($149, Windows and Mac)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  7:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Sorry, but I have to be the total ignoramus and ask: What are these tab programs for??? I tried downloading Guitar Pro which said it could only turn MIDI into tab but that Digital Ear could deal with .WAV or even sound. So I downloaded that only to find that it could only turn single note solos ("No chords") into MIDI. As CPatch said, turning sound files into tab is the Holy Grail of the computer types and has apparently not yet been achieved. So what do the tab programs do that you can't do with a pencil, tab paper and a guitar?

One upside, by the way: At least I didn't recently bust my - that is to say, go to a lot of trouble - to work out and tab a couple of Doug McMaster's pieces that I really like when there was software that could have done it for me.

Thanks for anybody who can clear up for me what is apparently a well-known piece of info.

Mark (eisensta)
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  8:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Another piece of software is Powertab. Nice price tag - it's free. You can change tuning, one fellow uses it for ukulele tab. Enter tab and it will generate notation and midi. Enter midi and it will generate tab and notation. Enter notation and, oops, can't do that. http://www.power-tab.net/

Melody Assistant will do all three for a plethora of instruments for only $15-$20, depending on the Euro. www.myriad-online.com It's big brother Harmony Assistant prints a bit prettier for about $60, same site.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 09/06/2004 8:41:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  9:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mark, tab software for guitar players is like a word processor for writers. It doesn't do anything you can't do with a pencil and paper but it does do it a lot neater and makes it easier to make changes.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  11:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Great analogy!! I'll have to remember that one.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  11:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Just to emphasize what Pauline said, PT and most(all?) of the others generate standard notation from Tab after you have set up the guitar tuning(s) (which can be presets). Then you modify the notes for tempo (1/8, 1/4, etc. and put in the slides, hammers, etc.) and the program will play it back for you through your PC sound - the tinny sound, but it verifies the playing tempo for you - which is important for me, since Tab has rudimentary or NO tempo indications. (It also teaches you Std. Notation as a by-product, which can't be bad :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000