Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lyrics to Nanea kou maka
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  11:54:45 PM  Show Profile

Hello,
My wife and I saw the show at the Great American Music Hall in SF recently and I think the guys ended the show singing and playing Nanea kou maka. It was beautiful and fun. I know that the Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key guitar has the music and tab to the song, but does anyone know if it has the lyrics as well? If not, does anyone know how to locate the lyrics to this song? Thanks in advance.
Juan

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  12:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I can't put my hands on my copy right now, but I recall that it's on "Pure Gabby," and that the liner notes include Gabby's lyrics and an English translation.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  12:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
No lyrics but here's some back and forth on the background of the song.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Juan,

This is what I have:

Nanea kou maka i ka le`ale`a
I ka lawe ma luna `umi ma lalo.

`I loko aku au o kou mu`umu`u
I ka puka ani mai ua hinuhinu.

Eia mai au ihu peleleu
Loa`a i ka pani o ka ma`i nui.

Hai`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
Nanea kou maka i ka le`ale`a

======

I'm pretty sure this is from the Pure Gabby notes, but....

HTH -dean
Go to Top of Page

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  11:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I greatly appreciate it and send my greetings to you and your family.
Juan
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
The version Gabby sings on "Pure Gabby" is pretty different from the Ray Kane instrumental version that is tabbed out in the "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" book. I didn't even realize they were the same song. When I was learning the Ray Kane version I translated the title (which roughly translates to "Relaxed is your face in pleasure") to get some idea of what the song is about. It was then that I realized it was that song with the "not so hidden" meaning on "Pure Gabby".

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 09/08/2004 4:18:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  4:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I think Andy's reply above left out a link to a discussion of the song. THis might be the link he was referring to:
http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/forum/songs/tp119.html

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Gary. That's the link I meant to include. If I cannot work this forum, who can?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  6:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks,
I was wondering about the "back and forth discussion" comment and began to play "Where's Waldo" on the site for a bit with no success. Again, thanks for clearing things up.
Juan
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  9:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Peter accidently posted a new post that was meant for this thread:

quote:
Russell,

You're right, the lyrics to Nanea are on the original Pure Gabby vinyl Album released by Hula twentysix years ago. Before I publish I needed to check a on a few notes and I was just going over my Gabby transcriptions this weekend and came across them. I played the LP last night its been so long since I played an actual LP. When I showed my daughter my picture with Sonny on his album she actually asked me what the album was. Kids nowadays just don't have a clue.

Peter Medeiros

Go to Top of Page

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  10:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
I received my Hawaiian Masters of Slack Key Guitar book the other day and I was a bit disappointed to hear that the version of Nanea Kou Maka isn't the one I wanted to learn. Still a pretty song though. Does anyone have any sources for a tab or the tab itself of this song? I'm referring to the version of the song played most recently on David Kamakahi's latest release.
Mahalo,
Juan
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  2:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Ray Kane's delightful guitar version, tabbed in the Hawaiian Masters book, is the version I've heard played most often. David has done a great job of arranging it in his own style. Maybe if you email him, he would send you a tab.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  2:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Aloha 'auinela
Where can I get the Masters of Slack Key Guitar book?
A hui hou
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  3:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

When I showed my daughter my picture with Sonny on his album she actually asked me what the album was. Kids nowadays just don't have a clue.
I've been transferring some old LPs to CD recently and made sure my 8-year-old daughter got the full tour! Now she thinks LPs are normal.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  3:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeff,
I got mine from Amazon.com for $13.97. Good luck,
Juan
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Watkins

Aloha 'auinela
Where can I get the Masters of Slack Key Guitar book?
There is a link at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000