Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Olympia kani kapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  10:10:11 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking about hosting a kani kapila here in Olympia. My brother who plays slack key will be visiting from Hawaii next Saturday for a week and a half and my son who also lives here plays as well. My home is about 10 minutes off of I-5 Exit 109 in Olympia. I know that most of the people attending Mark's recent workshop in Seattle were from in and around Seattle. Would any of you be willing to make the drive down to Olympia? And if so, would a weekday evening or weekend afternoon work better?

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  01:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Ooops---hit'em wrong button too soon (Admin deleted previous post)

quote:
Would any of you be willing to make the drive down to Olympia? And if so, would a weekday evening or weekend afternoon work better?

Sounds good to me---most any time but Tuesday evenings (ki ho`alu class). Would traffic be less "interesting" on a weekend afternoon?

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  12:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Jean:
quote:
Would traffic be less "interesting" on a weekend afternoon?
Judging from my limited experience here, the traffic through the Seattle metro area seems to be about as heavy on a weekend afternoon as during the week but better once you get past Seattle.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  12:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, John!

I would drive down to Olympia, but not on a weekday evening. And, the next couple weekends are busy. Next weekend (18-19th)is a maybe, and the one after (25-26) is a no.

So, maybe some other time, with a little more advance notice, I'd be happy to come visit. After all, why should you have to drive all the time?

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

The drive is not an issue for me; but the calendar usually is. I can't do Wednesdays or alternate weekends (this weekend is out), due to children. If I can make it I will!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 09/13/2004 3:44:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Right on! I'm glad you guys don't mind driving. Having been raised on the island of Oahu, which is only 30 by 37 miles (133 miles around the entire island), you'd think it would be otherwise but driving seems to be a bigger issue in Hawaii than it is here. How does Saturday October 9th sound? Chris, that should be clear for you and hopefully that's enough advance notice for others. I'm thinking mid afternoon say around 3:00. My home is easy to find .... only a couple of turns and one 8 mile straight stretch after you exit I-5. I'll post the address, phone number and directions as we get closer to the date.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:14:48 PM  Show Profile
no can make it on Oct 9th. Bummahs

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  12:50:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm OK for any October Sat except the 1st one

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Sounds good to me. I've put it on my calendar.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Ill try an be there, my work schedules doing flip flops next month so we'll see

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  1:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

FWIW, here's some of da kine songs we were playing at da last kani ka pila:

- Pretty Much all da Taro Patch songs from Ozzie's book
- Radio Hula (Hanson Book)
- Slack Key Lullabye (Led's Video)
- Bruddah John (Mark's Workshop Handout)

I know I've missed a bunch. Anybody with a better memory than mine wanna add some?

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile
Howzit!

While it's still a little early, I'm really looking forward our kani ka pila October 9th. I checked the mileage from exit 109 yesterday and my home should be easy to find with just one imediate left turn after the exit, 6.4 miles in a straight shot and a right turn onto my street. When we get closer I will email directions, address and phone number to everyone who thinks they might make it. I don't think we'll have a huge group so think I have enough space and seats here.

Thanks Chris for letting me know what you guys played at your place, even though I don't have Ozzie's book and won't be able to learn the ones I don't know before the 9th. Maybe I'll just pick up my ukulele and follow along with you on those!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  3:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Breaking news - I may be flying down to San Francisco the weekend of da kine.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 09/29/2004 3:55:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, keep me posted Chris. I was really hoping you'd be able to make it here next weekend!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  12:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Saturday October 9th is getting close so I thought I'd better post a note just to say that the informal kani kapila at my home in Olympia is still on. I'll be sending my address, phone number and directions to several people who said they either would or may be able to attend Saturday at 3:00 and I will do the same for anyone else considering coming if you'd just email me. Chris Paine filled me in on what was done last month at his home and I guess we'll just follow along those lines unless anyone has any other suggestions. It will be very informal. No need to bring anything except your guitar, maybe a guitar stand or a music stand and whatever tablature you might want to play.

I look forward to getting together, playing some music and having fun!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  8:49:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

Aloha,

Saturday October 9th is getting close so I thought I'd better post a note just to say that the informal kani kapila at my home in Olympia is still on.

It wen' happen & was lotta fun---even if there were only 3 of us there

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000