Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Which ukes are tops?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  04:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,
I'm trying to figure this one out. Maybe some of you can help me. I know a bit about guitars and button accordions but not much about ukes. My question is: what are the top instruments (say, the Martin and Gibson) of the uke world?
Mahalo,
Juan

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  09:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi juan,

i suppose that the martin and gibson of the uke world would be martin and kamaka. although, the recent martin ukes are not as well thought of as the older ones.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

5thumbs
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  2:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Kamaka is a good ukulele. Good quality, sound and reasonable price. If you are looking for a quality instrument, along with Kamaka you should also consider KoAloha, Glyph, Talsma, Black Bear, Kawika, Ken Potts. These are among the best that I have played.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  3:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ko`olau and Rietfors are on the list of top uke makers that I've tried. Also consider Graziano.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  5:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
okay, here's the issue. i don't think that martin and gibson are the "top" guitars. they make very good to excellent guitars and are the companies that have large and diffuse followings based on a long and deep tradition. kamaka and martin hold the same role for ukes. you'll be able to get more people interested in buying a martin or kamaka that you have than other brands (if you want to sell a kawika or a black bear, someone will snap it up of course).

perhaps worth noting, i don't own a kamaka (i'd like to) and i own a martin early 60s bari uke (which sounds great, as does my similar aged silvertone bari uke). the best sounding uke i have ever played is a black bear. the worst uke i have ever played is one i love because it was owned by a now-deceased member of the family who used to play it while taking various sweeties to catalina on the big white steamship to dance the night away at the avalon ballroom, and who in a fit of god-knows-what slapped a thick coat of barn paint on it. oh, and last night i played a new martin mexican-made soprano, and it sounded very sweet.

in summary, YMMV.

aloha, keith

Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  6:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
I would highly recommend a KoAloha.
Here's a few good things about it:

1) The finger board is cut so precise, it's only about 1/100 of a millimeter off.

2) As you might have noticed with other 'ukuleles, one string would dominate all the other strings. In other words, when you strum, one string won't be louder than the rest.

3) When the 'ukulele is plugged into an amp, WHOO-HOO! What a great sound!!!!!!!

Well, there's really nothing bad to sayd about it.

You can go to www.koalohaukulele.com for more info.

Mahalo!

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Everyone has accurately assessed the various ukes out there, but you have to separate the quality mass-produced ukes (Lanikai, Ovation)from the high end Hawaiian production ukes like Kamaka, and still further those ukuleles from those handmade of exotic woods by dozens of boutique operations, both solo luthiers and small shops. You would also separate classic Martin and Gibson ukes from past years when considering which to buy.
The mass-produced ukes run $100-$400+. The name Kamaka, a Hawaiian tradition, fetches $500-$2000+ depending on model, and the top uke luthiers get $800-$5000+ per instrument, some of that depending on established reputation. An old Martin tenor costs $1000 and up, depending on condition.
In a kanikapila, they can all sound good. But some sound great, and that's not always dictated by purchase price. I have to add that because the ukulele is a very simple instrument, inexpensive ukes can sound as magical as a $3000 spalted koa/ivory inlaid/zebrawood-trimmed special order model from a great luthier. As long as the sound box rings freely and the frets are fairly accurate, a blind comparison between the two could fool a lot of people (maybe not a luthier). Longevity isn't really an issue, unlike guitars which can warp from string tension and become unplayable and unfixable.
Find one, love it, get hooked, buy more. It's the Hawaiian way.
Jesse Tinsley

*Sorry for all the ghost posts earlier, it's been a long day...

Edited by - hapakid on 09/16/2004 11:19:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  8:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi brittni! too many people here, i didn't know you were on taropatch! i met you a year ago at keola's camp. hum, i see that i need to get your CD...

i agree with you, the KoAloha ukes i've played have been a joy. and, i've not tried "worth" strings. elderly sells them, but for sopranos. they look interesting.

aloha, keith

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Keith,

I'm going to take the Uke plunge. Herb Jr told me he could get me a deal on a KoAloha. Would you recommend these as a first try? Mary will probably benefit from this; I want her to start playing so that she has a reason to go to the various camps, institutes. Plus with Jr staying with us frequently, we have a built-in lesson forum.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha terry,

i've played a couple of koaloha ukes, and thought that they were very responsive, great for fast picking. even without a discount, they're a good price. the two i played felt very light, and so they might be a little delicate? i don't know how they hold up.

with herb jr. offering to help, the brag points make it worthwhile...

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  02:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Juan,

I have also heard very good things about Koaloha ukes, ranking them over Kamaka's. I can't say first hand. Another production uke coming back on the market is Larrivee built by John (Jean?) Larrivee, a son, at thier Vancouver workshop. I had the opportunity to casually strum one, nice.

If you can, go to a uke festival and see all the ukes on display, far more than you'll see at a store. I expect the upcoming festival in Cerritos will have a number of vendors. http://www.ukulelefestival.org/ They are a lot of fun, too.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  5:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

Juz my 2 cents...You no can go wrong with the other wonderful suggestions made so far by everyone, but I have to say....I love my Ko'olau tenor..it always calls to me everytime I see it or think about it! I love playing it, and it sounds so sweet! It is the ukulele for me! :-)

Dana

Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  5:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

I own a kamaka (50's), it's quite good. I also own a very old Martin tenor (given to me by a friend), also very good. Nice action, which is the reason I belive that most people like Martins. KoAloha are nice 'ukes, so are G String. kawika ukuleles are good also. Howevr, my favorite is one built by Tony Graziano, of Santa Cruz California. He'll work with you to get what you want. Choice of woods, tuners, electronics. A real value for the amount of work that goes into them. But then again, being here on the mainland, I'm biased. Another good private luthier is one in Lahaina by the name of Ken Potts. Check out his website at KPUkulele.com, I believe. A real good guy, also willing to work with you who makes a quality instrument! The main thing is, go with wahtever you like. If you find a 'uke that you cannot live without, by all means go for it! 'Cause it will probably not come up again.

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  6:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
The main thing is, go with wahtever you like. If you find a 'uke that you cannot live without, by all means go for it! 'Cause it will probably not come up again.

If only this were true...

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Herb Jr
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  8:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Herb Jr's Homepage
Hey gang,
Every 'ukulele are built differently. You'll never find the exact same 'ukulele. Every person should be happy with the instrument they choose to make music with. What I am trying to say is there are great 'ukulele's out there, so choose one that is best for you..economically and feel.

Herb, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.jrjrjr.com
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  10:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Herb! Welcome to the forum.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page