Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 California Blonde
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile
I've been looking for a good amp. over the last few months. Tried a lot of different ones but was not really satisfied. Then I tried a SWR California Blonde. WOW! An incredible amp made for acoustic and string instruments. Since I mostly play a classical/nylon guitar, tone was very hard to come by in other amps, but this one hit it right on the head. The best thing I can say is that, once set up, it doesn't even sound like its coming through an amp, except for volume. Actually, I set the dials to take a bit of the boominess from my bass and it even sounds better than the natural tone. Lots of power - 100w. 2 speakers in an enclosed case done in a kind of tan color. You can attach another speaker. Mono and stereo. Multi-channel. You can connect the "fancy equipment" directily in that it has all the loop ins and out.(I haven't tried any of that, but I assume it works ok.) No special efects built in except a reverb which is turned on/off with a pedal and has depth and "wet/dry" balance controls. I used the reverb on a gig in a big open space and it had a nice touch. Only drawback is that the cabinet weighs in at 74 lbs. (I transported it using a foldable baggage carrier like for the airlines.) The other day I had a friend bring her cello over and we mic'd the cello into the amp on the second channel, with my guitar on the first. Beautiful tone out of the amp. Very natural. Street price runs about $799, but I found it for $699.
Raymond
San Jose, CA

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  11:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Cool. Congrats on the new purchase. I once plugged in to a California Blonde at the music store and it sounded great. Crisp, clear and natural sounding at the low volume I was playing with lots of room to crank it up.

I'm no gearhead, but I'm curious if you tried any Ultrasound amp or Genz-Benz Shenandoah? I've read good things about all of these amps. Probably comes down to how you'll use it and personal taste.

So RJS, where will you playing with the new amp?

Aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  12:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Andy,
Tried Shanendoah -- sounded good with my sttel string, but with the nylon strigs -- I didn't think the sound was worth the price tag. I play mostly with my classical/nylon guitars.

Since you asked,
For the last 9 months I've been doing a lot of nursing home gigs. Not much $$, but a great chance to get used to playing for non-friends/family, work out the kinks in my sets, etc. Last 2 months branching out into paying gigs. Got publicity out at 2 local travel agents (people who go to Hawaii like to do Luau's. In additional to my playing, I can also rent a whole bunch of decorations like surf board, netting, tiki torches, fetish figures. Real hapa haole shlock, but what the ...) Also put out demo disks at local Hawaiian store, restaurants. Played a couple of freebiew there. -- Referrals are starting to come in. I think I would like no more than 2 gigs a month.
For pay, Have played 4 private parties, a church luau, a "Hawaiian evening" at a local sushi bar. Nice slow start, feels right.
Raymond

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  08:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Raymond,

Good luck with the gigs. Sounds like you're on your way. Enjoy the amp and keep us updated.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000