Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 `Ulupalakua chord
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  12:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Anybody have the ki ho`alu documentary or Uncle Ray's video (white cover)? I've been trying to figure out the one "funky" chord Uncle Ray plays in `Ulupalakua. Can anyone confirm or deny my guess? What chord is this? Tuning is taro patch by the way.

X O O O O O
| | | | x |
5th fret
| | x | | |

| | | x | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

Aloha,
Andy

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  4:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Andy!

Yikes! What chord that is, is.....I dunno! Tried it, and it sounded....uh....sorta off key! But if I were to bar on the 5th fret, then it becomes a: C! Hmmmm......

How're you and Lynette? We're all doing fun here along the Northshore of Maui! Well, the two of you take care! And Andy....no fo-get to JUS'PRESS. And oh! Let me know if anybody figured out that 'funky chord. A Hui Hou!

slackkey (Bill)

Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  11:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi:

I don't have the video, but I think this is an E7; or at least, it would become an E7 if you put your ring-finger down on the 1st string, 6th fret, as well.

xx0000
||||x| 5th fret
||x||x
|||x||

Hope it helps -dean

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  3:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yep, Dean, it's an E7..... more or less.

For the record, the open first string is "D" - the 7th in an E 7th. The open G (5th string) shouldn't be in the chord; it's the minor third relative to E -- though you can get real jazzy and say it's a sharp 9. Which would give you this name for the chord: E7#9/G! Pretty hip, actually.

`Ulupalakua has a fairly standard chord progression, expressed as I - VI - II - V. In G, that gives you G - E7 - A7 - D7. To transpose to C, it would be C - A7 - D7 - G7. Easy, no?

One of the things that draws me to Ray Kane's playing is his use of partial chords and the wonderful dissonance he gets. There's another great chord in his arrangement of Pua Sadinia where he plays an F major triad against a G bass as a substitute for a G7. Amazing!

Cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  3:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the info!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000