Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tuners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  01:16:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stringbreaker

I must be drastically behind the times. I have an A tuning fork and an E tuning fork. If I am so far out in the twinkies that neither one works for any of the harmonics or convenient fretted notes, I go back to Standard, focus the guitar, then go back into strangeness.

Anything that works is legal One other thing that helps my Intellitouch behave itself on the low strings is a shiny new battery (whether it needs it or not)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
My strong recommedation is to try the Boss TU-15.

This little wonder not only tunes in "concert" pitch, but has many diferent settings for open tunings including open G (Taro Patch) and can also tune to any note you tell it to.

It works with an external mike or with a patch cord, and can tune bass guitars as well. I love it and dont go anywhere without it when I play.

Cost on Musicians Friend was about 70$-- pricey, but worth it if you play da Slack!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  12:41:08 AM  Show Profile
Lots of great technical info in this thread, but can I respecfully ask a more basic question?

I've always wondered if electronic tuners can be used for setting up any desired tuning rather than just "standard". Can someone enlighten me on whether these tuners require you to know the note for each string in each tuning you want to use? What is really needed is a tuner that is programmable so you push one button and it sets all the correct pitches for one tuning. Any of the mentioned tuners do that? Or, do you have to enter the pitch you want for each string?

doug
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  04:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Chromatic tuners I have used sense the note and tell you what you're playing. You twist the tuning key on the guitar until the tuner tells you you're playing the note you want.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 10/14/2004 12:43:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
(Stringbreaker) I must be drastically behind the times. I have an A tuning fork and an E tuning fork. If I am so far out in the twinkies that neither one works for any of the harmonics or convenient fretted notes, I go back to Standard, focus the guitar, then go back into strangeness. I also build custom tuning charts which show where all of the unisons and octaves hide so I can spot check on tunings I use a lot. Finally, I do spot checks on a single string with my keyboard if nothing else works.
three years ago I used a B tuning fork. a luddite luthier friend, chris camp, convinced me to try the boss tuner, and am glad he did. i gave my tuning fork to my father-in-law, who was using a pitch pipe to tune his ukulele.

if you get a chance, ask kevin brown to tell you how he started using tuners. it's a great story...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  06:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow just realizing how spoiled I am ,my Ovation Ballader has a built in tuner!
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  4:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Based on these messages, I went to try out the intellitouch at my local store. With the owner's permission I used it to put a guitar (a Yamaha dreadnaught) into a wierdie (F# A# C# D# A# C#). Took a couple of minutes to focus the guitar. Sure enough, the bottom string was a problem, but quickly overcome using the harmonic. After I was done, it took a little tweaking to make it happy, but then it was ready to go.
It may not replace my tuning forks and charts, but I think I will add it to the supplies, esp. as by it clamping onto the headstock, it left my hands free. VERY convenient.

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
After reading this thread I ordered and just received a Wittman Mini Tuner. Installing was a snap (maybe 10 minutes) I'm totally stoked it's so easy to see and use and It's always right there. Highly recommended.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  7:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Andy, I've been tinkering with low voltage audio type wiring since I was a kid, so I do it myself.
Thanks Fran. I had missed your reply until now.

Bing's post got me back on this topic. Thanks Bing.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000