Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Home made Ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Haven't been here in a wile. I could not find Hapakid's old thread on home made ukuleles so I started another.

I just finished my first tenor over the weekend. I posted some pics and a short sound file of me playing a snipet of Crazy G on my website. Can't wait to get started on number 2.
Dominator
Here is a direct link to the pics page. http://www.rockslide.org/wood.html

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hey Dominick, thanks for the interesting and informative presentation.
An occasional pic now and then does wonders for my short attention span...
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  12:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
It's a beautiful piece of work. Even though it's your first tenor, it's a real show piece.
It sounds good, too. And I think you'll find the bottom end developing over time as long as you keep playing it.
It took a lot of courage to try and french polish your first handmade uke!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  9:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thanks Jesse, the french polish was a really frustrating. I will do it again but I think I will also try spraying some nitro finishes and see what happens with those.

BTW, I don't recall, what finishes have you been using on your ukes? The always seem to be nice and glossy and I like that.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

grommet
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:19:38 AM  Show Profile
thats beautiful.... someday I want to make my own tenor too. I dabble in some woodworking and liked your choice in Walnut, so I wondered if anyone made a Ukulele out of Cherry being that I have some lying around. Anyway, good job! ..I'd pay money for what you just made

Your signature has reached the limit of awesomeness...

Edited by - grommet on 10/07/2004 10:21:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  11:51:22 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about a cherry `ukulele but I have a guitar with cherry back & sides and a cedar top.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  1:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My grubby ukes can't hold a candle to yours, but I used a simple rub-on finish by Formby's in both gloss and semi-gloss. I don't think it degrades the acoustic quality of the wood and it's quick. Unfortunately, it doesn't adhere well to the softwood soundboards, so a good sealer or spray finish is better for the top. It looks great on mahogany and other semi-porous hardwoods, like koa.
But I was always impatient to move on to the next instrument, even before I'd strung up the current one, so I didn't spent long on my finishes. You, on the other hand, assembled the tools, built a drum sander, built jigs and did a MOP rosette for your first uke. Well done.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  4:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Dominic,
Your uke looks and sounds sweet. Congratulations on your creation. Will you be experimenting with different kinds of bracing as well as finishes?
Juan
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thanks Juan,
Yes, I will eventually be experimenting with different bracing configurations. My next will be not necessarily be dratically different but I will make the bracing lighter and experimenting with the Kasha style bracing will be further down the road.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  3:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
WDF, I am assuming you made the guitar. It looks great. Is that a 3 piece neck I see? What are the wood combos for it?
Thanks,
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  4:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Nice work Dominator! I'm always impressed by those who build instruments or do any woodworking for that matter. I'm not allowed near power tools.

Do you have Kawika Hurd's book "Left-Brain Lutherie"?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  12:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Nope, I didn't make it. It was made by Bob Baker, a luthier from Santa Margarita, CA (a little north of San Luis Obispo). His brand name is "Blue Lion" - you may have heard of his dulcimers. His wife, Janita Baker is a world class dulcimer player and does dynamite inlay work. I'm not sure what the neck is made of but it looks like mahogany with a rosewood stringer.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  12:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thanks Andy,
Your not aloud around power tools and I'm not aloud to play with electricity (LOL).

No, I don't have David's book but have heard good things about it.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  3:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful uke, especially for your first one.
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  12:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thank you Paul. It really means a lot coming from you. One day I hope to make great sounding ukes like you and your family. Thanks again.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

ukulele_pete
Aloha

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  5:47:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by grommet

thats beautiful.... someday I want to make my own tenor too. I dabble in some woodworking and liked your choice in Walnut, so I wondered if anyone made a Ukulele out of Cherry being that I have some lying around. Anyway, good job! ..I'd pay money for what you just made

I made a scaled down version of a Gibson J200 - it ended up a J2 tenor uke with a cutaway in Cherry with a red spruce front. It was an absolute canon!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000