Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ouch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magdog
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Magdog's Homepage
Hi All-
Two months ago I'd never played anything besides the stereo. Then I lucked into the bay area shows (Redwood City and La Honda,CA ), where Herb Ohta Jr. and David Kamakahi blew my mind and altered my musical perception forever. I've been to hundreds of performances and listened to music all my life but this is the first time I've been so deeply affected. Thanks guys, I am now sorely afflicted with ukeholism. Within 24 hours of the La Honda show I bought a lanikai soprano. Soon thereafter I discovered the uke community via the internet and and am sponging up any and all uke info I can find...Which brings me, finally, to the first of many questions for those of you who are wiser and more experienced than I, ergo...

I've been practicing dilligently, a couple hours daily, for about two months and am beginning to have some elbow tendonitis. I know I'm probably overly tense on the fretboard and am working on trying to relax. Any advice, tricks or tips re: ergonomics and how to keep playing with out sacrificing my elbow? I also rock climb, practice aikido and drive a keyboard as a graphic designer, so am fit and have never had any problems but a prime candidate for overuse. should I be playing less (Noooo!)? Any info/insight is appreciated. Thanks

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  3:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha, Magdog!
Welcome to the realm of uke fanatics. I agree that David and Herb put together quite a range of music. The uke has a voice that is both sweet and innocent, but also tender and mature, depending on how you use it.
If something is hurting, you are probably holding something too tight. Soprano ukes can be hard to cradle, where a tenor uke (much bigger) might rest comfortably without having to squeeze it to your body. Some people use a guitar strap so they don't have to think about holding it up.
You might be squeezing too hard on the fretboard, which is something guitar players do out of habit. See how lightly you can finger each chord and still make a clean sound.
Good luck. Inevitably, you'll want another uke and another and another. We're here for you if you get addicted.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome; you sound like you are already addicted.

Which elbow, strumming or fretting? It may be a clue for someone else. All I can say is that I find keyboards exacerbate problems caused by playing guitars and ukes and vice versa, so check your movements and positions at the keyboard. Are your wrists up? Jesse has some good suggestions, too.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 10/18/2004 9:28:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  8:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Jesse and Pauline are on the right track...
If it is your right elbow, you have a deathgrip on the fretboard; if your left, you have serious ergonomic problems. Chill, brah. But... elbows are not a real permanent problem, thumbs and wrists are...,especially right hands. If you do MA, you should be very aware of your body, so treat playing an instrument as if you are performing a kata or form. Do NOT go for performance speed in the beginning; again, as a kata, do it as slowly as you can do it perfectly. Being a musician and being a martial artist are very much the same thing.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Being a musician and being a martial artist are very much the same thing.
Except you can do much more damage with a musical instrument than with your bare hands alone. (Especially if you play a loud wind instrument poorly.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

1four5
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1four5's Homepage
quote:
I've been practicing dilligently, a couple hours daily, for about two months and am beginning to have some elbow tendonitis.

This is interesting to me, because I went through the same thing. I'm a mechanic and turn wrenches all day for a living, and thought I was in pretty good shape...several weeks into playing guitar, and later uke, my knuckles wrists and elbows felt like tendonitus or arthritus or something...especially my left. It got bad enough that I was taking asprin for it. It's been 10 months now since I started playing, and I'm happy to report it was just a phase I had to go through while my muscles and tendons adjusted to a new activity. It only lasted a few weeks. I also play a couple hours a day.

ukeblue.com
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile
First, I apologise for my dyslexia (or whatever). I reversed right and left above.

Then, we really don't have enough info to help you, Magdog. Tell us more detail. And, have you taken any lessons from a real teacher. Most, amateur musicians, including me, have, or had, really poor ergonomics. Think of all the guitar players you see that are hunched over, crossed legs, wrists bent in strange ways, etc. etc. Young players can get away with it just because they are young. Old guys like me have to be very careful, especially to avoid Repetitive Injury Syndrome with thumbs and wrists. So, it would be worth it to get some good personal advice. Would you play aikido without instruction.

Craig, man you are really right, but the real damage is to the musician who is closest to the noise or, like me, whose hand tendons were assaulted playing a guitar. (As a kid I tried to play a trumpet and was so loudly lousy that it put me off playing an instrument for 40 years.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Magdog, and welcome to the world of addictive Hawaiian music and its side effects! I too suffer from tendonitis, but in both of my shoulders, plus carpal tunnel syndome in both hands. However, it hasn't stopped me, much to my chiropractor's dismay! He advised me to do neck exercises, since it is an area where many afflictions of the arms and hands originate, believe it or not. That was an eye-opener for me. He also told me to take it easy on the number of hours I play (easier said than done, since he's not the addict!). I've adjusted and paced myself somewhat, but the exercises have helped. You are using some different muscles when performing fine motor skills involving stringed instruments (especially small ones). Size does matter too! I am currently seeking a smaller guitar, such as a Baby Taylor, so my shoulders will ease up a bit. It also helps to make sure you get up and take some breaks now and again during your marathon practicing. Good luck!!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

ToeBone
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  4:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ToeBone's Homepage
Hi MagDog,

The La Honda show was great. I had a chance to talk with Dennis Kamakahi for a good while. I also had a chance to attend a workshop with David K and Herb Jr. - maybe the highlight of which was their spontaneous duet before the class.
But about your tendonitis - I have gone through several different types of irritations like that and have had to modify the way I do things to prevent it reoccurring. I could figure out what was wrong because it hurt when I went like 'that'. It's hard to tell what your real problem is without knowing more, but the other advice is good. Relax and think about how your position is tweaking your elbow. I took lots of motrin but I'm not in the drug advice business! Contrast baths work well on arm/elbow tendonitis. It would be a good idea to take a couple of days off. Spend that time studying theory and it won't be wasted!

Uke that 'tude!
Go to Top of Page

Magdog
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Magdog's Homepage
Thank you all for the good wishes and advice
the problem is left elbow (the 'other' right, Reid) and most likely due to my attempts to crush the fretboard with a mighty G7- A lighter touch, ibuprophen, ice and slightly saner practice schedule seem to be helping. I haven't taken any lessons other than what I can scrounge up from the web so I have a lot to learn about all things uke.
I agree that practicing Aikido and Uke are very similar (an aside-in Aikido The person being thrown is the Uke -ookay and Ukemi is japanese for 'the art of falling'). I'm going to need all my martial arts experience next time my wife answers the door and it's the UPS guy with another uke.
Steve

http://www.Alohashirtrescue.com
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi steve,

i gave myself a bad case of guitar elbow when learning to finger pick (in the right arm, though). it took about nine months to clear up. i didn't use ice (dumb on my part) but i really worked on relaxing my arms while playing. beer can help here :)

good luck... and, the next time a ukulele shows up at the door, feign ignorance, and then note the utter cruely of letting a poor uke stay outside in the cold.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  8:52:14 PM  Show Profile
There are some books which address sme of the ergonomics of playing, e.g. "How to play less hurt," -- But I took a session with an ergonomics expert who watched me play in my usual chair, etc -- and made some very important suggestions. Playing a guitar, and I guess an uke, is very much an athletic activity -- I've heard it called "micro-athletics" you challenge you body the same way an athlete chalenges major muscle groups, you just do it to smaller muscle groups -- however the envolvement of tendons, fascia, etc are the same.
Bottom line, anyone who is playing an instrument for any substantial length of time and does not pay attention to proper ergonomics is living in their own little world** -- and risking their bodies/ability to play in the process.

(** Arcane reference to a label used in classical period Greece.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000