Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Hanohano Cowboy lyrics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ohio uke
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  11:14:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a source for the words to a tune I've heard on a couple CD's by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. On one it's claled Hanohano Cowboy. George Kahumoku does it as Hanohano Hawaii. in a perfect world someone would give me a link to a site with words/chords/melody line. Tab for the chord voicing would be handy.Translation would be nice, too. I dug up one item via Google that referenced a book, that had 4 different tunes beginning with "Hanohano ...". I'm willing to buy good book, but this one didn't have melody lines, and I don't know if my song is evenin it. There is a Dylan web site with this kind of detail( the much need translations aren't included). Is there a Hawaiian music site?

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  12:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think this is the song you're looking for:

http://www.hawaiijoho.net/huapala/Hanohano_Wale_No_Cowboy.html

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  01:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
If that's the tune, then the chords are pretty easy to figure out. It has a standard II-V-I progression. The verse starts in G then goes to A then D then back to G. At the end of the verse there's a turnaround that goes D to G to D7.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  12:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i love this song. believe it or not, petty booka (the japanese ukulele playing duo) do a great version of this song on their "ukulele lady" album. this is my favorite of their albums, which also has a great all-japanese version of pineapple princess (called "pineapple princes") and a version of "going back to okinawa" that they do better than ry cooder.

anyway, gary is right, the chords to this song are about as simple as you can get. the strum pattern is pretty simple too - fast is good - and with two ukes you might have one playing on the 2/4 count and one on the 1/3 count.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

ohio uke
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  11:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Good info, and thanks to all. Brother Is doesn't sing the same lyrics exactly as Andy's reference, but it's a good enugh start. It's a lot easier to memorize the melody if you have words to hang on it.i'll look up "Petty Booka". I love that Ry Cooder version of Going Back to Okinawa. Have it on vinyl. I don't know the origin of it. In those days he was doing R&B covers and old blues.
we were haveing trouble counting out the bars, and that is probably attributeable to the turn around. I have some books, so I'd better get polaying.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  3:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Ohio uke,
This is way off topic, but was prompted by your name. I was in a guitar shop in New jersey in 1995, when this guy walks in with a uke in it's case, which had more travel stickers than i have ever seen on any full sized guitar case! Said he made his living with the instrument. Yeah, OK, what's your name? "Cool Hand Uke"
Neatest moniker ever, eh? Anybody know who this guy is/was?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

ohio uke
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  11:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Maybe I should start introducing myself as "Ohio Uke". My parents named me Clyde.The list of cool people named Clyde is short indeed: Clyde Barrow(bank robber), 1 basketball player, and Clyde Mcphatter, lead tenor for the Drifters and Billy Ward and the Dominos (and that goes back over 50 years)
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget that Ahab the Arab, the Sheik of the burning sands, had a camel named Clyde. (they rode silently through the night)

Welcome aboard!

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000