Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 instructional resources
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magdog
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Magdog's Homepage
Hi-

Several questions really:

Can you folks weigh in with opinions about the best way for an absolute beginner (zero musical experience) to proceed with learning and practicing the uke? How did you learn? what worked well and not so well? what would you do differently? Recommended DVD's, Books etc? Teachers in the San Francisco Bay Area?
I've been working on chords and progressions but I think it's time to admit I need help...my name's Steve and i'm a ukeholic...
thanks
Steve

http://www.Alohashirtrescue.com

Edited by - Magdog on 10/20/2004 5:09:09 PM

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi steve,

jim beloff's intro book is good, since he has you playing songs right away. his workshops are supposed to be good for that too - check his website fleamarketmusic.com.

i think that you can get uke lessons at gryphon guitars in palo alto, but i would guess that any guitar teacher can get you lanched on the uke. at risk of contradiction by our fellow `ohana members, any competent teacher can help you with the basic right and left hand skills. after awhile you'll want to work on whatever interests you - tin pan alley, fancy strumming, slack key uke, being the next jake shimabukuro - but at the early stages it's mainly developing muscle memory. so, you might want to try your local guitar store for a list of guitar teachers, and start calling them up.

D7 G7 C,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  8:34:15 PM  Show Profile
You might want to try getting uke lessons from Hiram Bell in
South San Francisco. He holds weekly group lessons and also
takes private students.

The website he posted here in another topic is:

www.freeranger.com/hbell

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

1four5
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  8:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1four5's Homepage
Jam with friends. Uke players, or guitar players...doesn't matter, find some buddies to jam with. It's made all the difference in the world for me. I got some guys at work interested, and there are now several of us who spend our entire lunch time jamming (great slimfast program too!). I've gone from book frustration to having a blast. I haven't opened a book in months. Between 3 relitive beginners, we've been writng songs and putting all our ideas together and come up with some really cool stuff. We have only one guy who is really good (30 years experience) and he keeps us challanged, but you'd be suprised how much you can pick up from guys of equal or even less experience...because everyone thinks just a little differently.

ukeblue.com
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  01:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
1four5...you're so right on! I learn each and every time I play with folks, no matter what level. It's a lot of fun and we end up playing pretty darn good stuff!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  02:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Teresa Bright's video, "Learning to Play Ukulele," is the best video I've seen so far, especially if you want to focus on Hawaiian music. Unfortunately, it's not currently available on DVD. (Email me if you buy a copy though.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  02:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Jam with friends
amen. hitting the books, DVDs and lessons are all important, but playing with people is wonderfully instructive.

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000