Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Remembering arrangements
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  02:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
As I'm getting more repetoir, and coming up with my own arrangements, I find that sometimes I can't remember stuff if I haven't played it for a while. That may also have to do with coming to slack key in middle age.
I was wondering what other folks do to remember their arrangements. Sometimes I try to tab mine out, but most of the time I don't want to put in that much time and effort. I compromiose by usually tabing out one or two key "riffs" and hope I remember the rest. I'm thinking that I should maybe record a song when I really like a version.
Any other ideas?
Raymond
San Jose, CA

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  06:11:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha RJS!

Hmmmm......Have you thought about perhaps video-taping yourself jamming some "Kiho'alu Favorites" or any other favorite tunes you wish to remember?

In 1997, my Family and I went to California. That year I decided to take my Guitar with me. While in my Sister In-Law's parlor, I video-taped myself Jamming some "Kiho'alu".

It came out great! While playing back the recording, I began playing back-up guitar for me! It was so "kewl"! Another suggestion is to have someone take still photos of your chords and riffs.

Well, I hope the idea will be helpful! Take care! Have fun! And JUS'PRESS!!!!!!!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  10:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the video tape idea. Even better than audiorecording 'cause if I forget what I did I can see it. Great idea
Raymond

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  02:28:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha RJS!

I'm glad you liked the idea! Should you forget what it was that you did the first time, at least you can play-back the video ! Take care! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  3:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
Video recording is a great idea. You might consider using an external microphone to improve the sound quality. I have found that recording myself is a very interesting exercise and tool. Often, when playing, I have a tendency to backup or pause and "fix" missed notes. It can become a habit and really interfere with the presentation of your music, even if it is only for your own enjoyment.

Once I realized I was doing this excessively and started trying to eliminate it, my daughter commented how much better my playing sounded, with out the interupts in the flow of the music.

Recording what I play puts me into an entirely different mode, almost like performing, and I seem to be able to play through the mistakes as though I were playing with someone else. It doesn't mean I don't make the mistakes, just that I deal with them differently. I suspect video taping would provide the same result and it also provides that visual documentation that you crave. You may also find it improves your playing by allowing you to see yourself doing things you didn't realize you did.

Jim

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000