Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 looking for tab for duet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  05:59:40 AM  Show Profile
does anyone know where I can find tab for duets.

Steve

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile
There are a couple of duets in the Keola beamer/Mark Nelson book

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile
There are three:

Akaka Falls)
Ki Hi`alu Muschief
Tiare Tahiti

See http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  6:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
At a workshop two years ago, Ozzie Kotani handed out the tab for a nice duet he had written, "Na Kila Elu". It's an intermediate level piece. Maybe somebody you know has a copy. One thing I like about it is that both parts are in Taropatch tuning (all the duets in the Beamer/Nelson book have at least one part in a non-Taropatch tuning, if that is a consideration).

Gary
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  06:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Gary.

Does anyone have this tab for Na Kila Elu that they could share with me.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Do you have Ozzie's book, the tab of Molehu?

Here's an experiment that I did some time ago. This is posted with Ozzie's approval (way back when)...

http://www.taropatch.net/download/molehu2.pdf

Andy
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  01:19:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Do you have Ozzie's book, the tab of Molehu?

Here's an experiment that I did some time ago. This is posted with Ozzie's approval (way back when)...

http://www.taropatch.net/download/molehu2.pdf

Nifty! May I share this with my classmates?

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  10:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sure. Absolutely. Just gives an idea of what a second part might look like. FYI, it's what I'd do but probably not what Ozzie would do.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Keola has also handed out Pua Lililehue duets to various classes. Both parts are in Keola's C. It's just like the versions he has recorded twice.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  1:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Thanks for sharing that Andy. Was that an assignment from a slack key teacher, or did you just decide to do it on your own? It never occured to me to try writing a duet part for an existing slack key piece, but now you've inspired me to try.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  1:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gary A

Thanks for sharing that Andy. Was that an assignment from a slack key teacher, or did you just decide to do it on your own? It never occured to me to try writing a duet part for an existing slack key piece, but now you've inspired me to try.

I did it for fun. It was inspired by my fellow mainland slack key players (Taropatchers) who whenever we get together, we play the same songs. It makes sense since we learned the same songs from the same books and videos.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Andy,
Things are a little busy for me now, but give me about two weeks and I'll send you a couple of arrangements in pdf. that may shed some light on duets and small ensemble playing.
Peter Medeiros
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  8:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Peter,
Can you make that available to others.
Would be worth a few bucks.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  9:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Peter. That would be wonderful.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  10:08:00 AM  Show Profile
Andy
Thanks for sharing that. Very insperational and a lot of fun

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  02:36:55 AM  Show Profile
I too would love to see more duets available!--and the mixed tunings that widen the texture.

Last year at our Maui Kanikapilas, it was interesting to scan the leaders and see mixed tunings on any given tune:

Perhaps Ozzie and Keokki in Taropatch, Cyril in C, Dennis Kamakahi in F (taropatch-?) George and others in open D, and/or other variations--and capos up and down the neck according to the situation!

This seems historically to be common practice for: jams, recordings, and kanikapilas...

It's a complimentary harmonic crossing.

And the Keola/Nelson duets have charm--and even though at times each individual part is incredibly simple...they're beautiful together.
Thanks for the links,
G
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000