Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 radio shows
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Everyone. What are the Hawaiian music radio shows (both radio and internet) around the US? If you know who runs them, that would be great too.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  4:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
I know a really good one.
It's www.kkcr.org. Aunty Maria is the DJ every Wednesday and Friday from 7-9 am HST, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong!

It's all Hawaiian music and this radio station is heard all around the world! If you want more information about it, you can talk to Aunty Maria.

Hope this helps!

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  4:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i agree with brittni... another great show is Rob Abbot's Internet Radio Hawaii. you can e-tune in at http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/irhlive.html

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  10:37:32 PM  Show Profile
KKCR is one of the few _real_ radio stations in Hawai`i which also broadcasts online. The FCC cracked down on radio stations a few years ago -- royalty fees must be paid for all music played "regular radio" broadcasts and then again for music played "online radio" broadcasts. Many stations which had eagerly jumped on the Internet broadcast bandwagon, quickly jumped off when this FCC ruling was enforced. KKCR is a community (public) radio station -- all FCC fees are covered by the umbrella of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (our angels!!). There are some mainland-based public radio stations which are giving 1-4 hours of air time weekly (weakly?) to volunteers who want to play island music. And Watsonville CA (my old stompin' grounds) is now the home of the mainland's _first_ honest to goodness "Hawaiian music _station". Yay!!

Like Rab's irhlive, there are now seemingly
_multitudes_ of island-music "online-only stations" as well -- their programs are taped and then made available online: hawaiinrainbow.com and voiceofhawaii.org and allllll the ones on live365.com Joe Seiter does one live broadcast on Saturday mornings from his place in Los Angeles, plus a variety of taped shows.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  09:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Check this link: http://www.voices.cc/mikini.html

I wondered how Taropatch.net made the "Audio, Others" listing and it's our SoundClick tracks from the CD.

Ps. And now I'm listening to BreezePlease's "Slacking Off".

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Andy,

Very interesting. The whole album is there including the icon that's the CD Cover.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  11:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

Very interesting. The whole album is there including the icon that's the CD Cover.
Before sounding off an alarm, I think it's just the tracks that are currently available at www.soundclick.com/taropatch.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just checked it out and it's a direct link to SoundClick...the same as clicking on the green arrow at the top of our SoundClick page. All it does is play through all of the songs on the our SoundClick site.

Andy, it might not be a bad idea to add the same link to TaroPatch.net. Actually, there are two links...one for lo-fi and one for hi-fi:

Lo-fi: http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U_Bandradio.m3u?ID=38765&q=Lo&type=stream.m3u
Hi-fi: http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U_Bandradio.m3u?ID=38765&q=Hi&type=stream.m3u

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/05/2004 12:08:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  3:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Darin,
Our local station cannot be considered a Hawaiian station by any means, but I did get your CD you sent me over to the DJ who played a few cuts from it Friday night. So, you now have some northern (Alaskan) exposure. Hope this helps.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  7:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks Karl! That was very kind and generous of you to pass my music along.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:58:42 AM  Show Profile
While the number of "Hawaiian" stations is limited, there are a couple hundred relatively open format stations (public and community) around the states and Western Hemisphere.
The disc jockeys are often open minded and have the option to play things at their discretion.

In Colorado's front range, there's KUNC in Greeley...I have a friend with a daily show--so I need to see if there's any possibilities there. I should have asked her sooner!

And the other "hot spot" for diversity is KGNU in Boulder. I'm not sure if there's a program that is right, but I can ask 'em.

I bet at fund raising time, some Hawaiian vibes might be a good thing to throw into the mix.

Who else knows of some such stations in their region?

KKCR is a diamond, but since most of my radio listening is in the car, it's often not available.

Let's encourage our local public, community and college stations to jus' play...a little of da good stuff.
G
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000