Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Larrivee ukes ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  10:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
Any thoughts about the Larrivee ukes ? I have my first uke on order from a custom builder in HI, but wanted something to play while waiting ... attribute this to the uke version of G.A.S. I saw some photos of the Larrivee's, and they sure are pretty !

Thanks

hg's guitar/uke page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  11:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i have a larrivee ukulele. it's beautiful and plays well. i got it at bounty music trolling for kamakas, and i thought that the larrivee sounded better (it was on sale, too - a bit shopworn).

it's a little soft to my touch (in terms of string tension), so it's a bit like a martin in that sense. i prefer ukes like those from dennis lake (po mahina) or john kitakis (ko`olau).

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
Thanks ... I have a uke on order from Dennis, but won't see it until March. Seems like it should be possible to get higher tension strings if that's an issue

hg's guitar/uke page
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  03:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
One thing to bear in mind with the Larrivees is that Larrivee only made 500 of them (all sopranos) and they are already starting to go up in resale value. If you can find one in good shape at a good price go for it...when you get your custom you can sell the Larrivee if you want and get your money back.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:11:15 PM  Show Profile
I've heard Larrivee started building ukes again, just a few months ago. I wonder if that will impact prices.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
I believe these are new production - several larger Larrivee dealers have multiple ukes in 01, 03, 09 and 10 finish categories. But now I'm thinking of getting something larger than soprano, which is their only available size. In any case, thanks for the info ...

hg's guitar/uke page
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
howard,

i checked your members page and see you're at SLO. we head up that way a few times a year, and i like visiting blue note music. it seems like there's some good acoustic guitar activity there, and with rs saul building some great sopranos, i wondered if there was any hawaiian music in the area. what's going on up there?

[note to moderator andy - sorry for posting this here - i just wanted to have this in a place that i thought howard would see. howard, it might be good to reply to this under the "kanikapila" forum]

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

hg
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  1:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hg's Homepage
Keith - I'll reply in the kanikapila forum

hg's guitar/uke page

Edited by - hg on 10/21/2004 1:29:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  3:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

[note to moderator andy - sorry for posting this here - i just wanted to have this in a place that i thought howard would see. howard, it might be good to reply to this under the "kanikapila" forum]
No apologies needed. Post wherever you see fit. Occasionally, I move it but not often.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  07:43:01 AM  Show Profile
I have a student who purchased a Larivee 'uke. It's a really nice instrument with a good tone. It seems like a very good purchase. Great koa (nicely flamed), and for a soprano, it seems like a good comfortable 'uke (some are a little on the small side).

just my 2 cent worth,

Curtis Takahashi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000