Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 New Uke Resource
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craig
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  01:19:18 AM  Show Profile
A gentleman from another forum, Kurt, alerted us to this site. Apparently this John King fellow is something of a ukulele virtuoso:

http://www.nalu-music.com/index.html

I mean he's serious about this! He spends all day practicing the uke and treating it as a classical instrument.

Goes to show... no matter how humble the instrument, somebody comes along and makes it dignified!

Craig P.

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  01:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
John's "Famous Solos & Duets for the Ukulele" is a wonderful book in my opinion. In it he presents editted versions of material from early 20th century ukulele instruction books, along with some commentary. I've learned one piece and it is a charmer, and the CD that accompanies the book is delightful enough just to listen to on its own. John has a new book just released by Jim Beloff that provides some of John's classical arrangements.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  02:03:35 AM  Show Profile
The new book also has some classic Hawaiian music. It's in the other room, I'm feeling lazy, otherwise I'd tell you what they are! Fran, was it you that recommended his first book, "Famous Solos..." plus a different song book of Hawaiian tunes as the two best basics for ukulele? If so, thanks. They arrived just a few days ago. So much music, so little time.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  11:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Yes, Pauline, that was my suggestion, over on the 4th Peg. The book is "Hawaiian Uke Tunebook" by Ken Eidson & Ross Cherednik, Mel Bay. I hope you find it useful. I enjoyed getting started with "Hilo March" and found "Honesakala" and "Manuela Boy" to have some nifty ideas as well.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Fran,

My version of the Eidson/Cherednik book is a bit old, but it *does* list an address for Eidson to contact if you'd like to purchase a cassette of the songs in the book. I've Googled Eidson but don't get a current listing for him (I even contacted the middle school in Illinois he used to teach music at). Do you know if the current book has a current address for him--or perhaps the cassette availability is no longer mentioned? I'd like to purchase one (or, even better, a CD...)

Tonya

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  6:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Well, whaddya know, this copy does have an address for Ken, in Glenview, IL. Send me email at fguidry @ yahoo.com and I'll shoot it back to you.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000