Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 San Diego Kihoalu Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  3:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Anyone know when and where there is a Kihoalu kanikapila? I heard there used to be one on Wednesday evenings but the location moved. There also used to be a ukulele kanikapila at Kelani's in Encinitas on Saturdays but I drove by and didn't see the group.
Aloha,
CAPT Mika'ele

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  4:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Mika'ele,
Your in great luck. True, the old meeting place @ M3 Cafe in Oceanside is pau but its members still host meetings at their homes until a new site is acquired, (from what I hear there are some good locations in the offing - details to follow) Contact Don Narup for next scheduled meeting. Currently Ken has been very gracious in offering his home in San Marcos for meetings, and mine is on the table if, and when needed.
Uke groups still very much alive and well. The Kealani's, (uke pickers) still meet on Saturday's around 1 o'clock I believe, and the Momilani's group in Oceanside meets on Sunday's @ 10 or 11:00 a.m. You can call 760.752.1467 for times, etc...There's a 3rd group that meets in PB @ Hawaiian BBQ on Sunday's as well, I think @ 1:00.
Uke pickers had a very good kanikapila in La Jolla this past Sat. must of been 35+ people. Lot's of Uke's, guitars, singing, and plenty kau-kau.
Aloooooha,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  06:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi nancy,

in fact, there is one coming up this saturday, at 4pm! i'll send you directions via email. bring your guitar and uke!

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  07:15:40 AM  Show Profile
If I bring an instrument, someone will assume I know how to play it...

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  07:21:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Nancy,
Yes, but even if you don't, there'll be plenty of singing, eating, and talk story. By all means, bring some of those Oki.Dango's. Mrs. Slkho loves them.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  8:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Inquiring Minds...What's a Dango?

Edited by - rossasaurus on 11/16/2004 8:07:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  9:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Ross!
Come and find out - closest thing might be a donut hole... but different... and not like malasadas... cooked in peanut oil - nice and crispy. It's in the red Maui U of H cookbook.
Auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

SoCalHaole
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  09:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Slkho and Auntie Nancy!

I may try to get down to San Diego this weekend. Please send me the address, etc., for the kanikapila. P.S., I will bring my six-string Kamaka 'ukulele.

Edited by - SoCalHaole on 11/17/2004 09:19:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  05:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha SoCalHaole,
Oh my God! you live in Rancho Cucamonga...that's really far away, (do people actually live there ?. ha) Welcome to the TP. I have the address & directions at home, so I won't be able to give it to you until tomorrow, (unless Keith or A-Nancy get it to you first) drop me your phone number at: rik.nieves @ alvarion.com and I'll give you a call tonight.
You'll be in good company with plenty of wicked-good Uke players. Now if we can only make you come over to the Slack-side. (Luke, I'm your...) ha, when will I stop.
pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  05:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi -
I already sent it...
Be careful whatchu say about cucamonga - my dad was born at a winery there in 1911 - long before most of those towns in SD county had names. And actually it's not that far; he can just jump on I-15...
Besides, for your sterling company? we'd drive 1/2 the day!!
Much Aloha Bruddah!!
How many folks be there? How much dango I gotta make?
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  06:09:01 AM  Show Profile
A-Nancy,
Love you A-Nancy.
RC is far, I know trust me. M-beach is only 1 1/2hr. away. It takes you 1/2 day?!! (Wot! you crusin round island sista? you holo-holo island kine?)
Please make plenty Dango, probably enough for 40+ people. Will you be playing some slack-key along with Uke? You'll really have a good time. S.D. Kanikapila's just drip with music.
Hano Ho!
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  11:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Carlsbad Kanikapila Update.
Last Saturday turned out to be wonderful Kanikapila, (no slack key :-( )
but a good time had by all. About 40+ people showed up at DiDi's house in Carlsbad for a pre-Thanksgiving event. Many members of various ukulele groups were present, sound equipment was set-up, and everyone sang & played the night away. There was plenty of ono food too!
Nick from RC drove down and particpated, (nice Uke brudda) also, auntie Nancy made the trip and brought plenty dango, (those were awesome Nancy, mahalo).
Keith showed up with his RainSong guitar, (his Goodall had a boo-boo but is recovering). Keith helped me out with Hula Medly (mahalo keith) and we talked slack key shop with auntie. Afterwards, more food, music, and stuff.
Thanks to all you Uke players for a great time!!
pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  07:48:00 AM  Show Profile
N,
There's the usual Uke gatherings/kanikapilas, (actually one tonight @ kailani's)and over Saturday/Sunday: Encinitas, Oceanside, PB.
I'd have to check with brudda Ken when the next Slack-kanikapila is for the S.D.S.K.S.
Maybe one of the guys know.
Are you going to play ????
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Tula
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  1:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tula's Homepage
I spoke to Sarona Sotoa the owner of L&L in Oceanside on College Blvd. She has just started an open mic night on Wednesdays. I told her that maybe a Slack Key group may want to meet there and jam. She said it was a great idea! You can call her at 760-619-370-6653 any one can call and set it up.

Aloha,
Tula

Tula
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  05:30:37 AM  Show Profile
Cool!! thanks Tula.
Can't wait to get some of the gang together to jam. Should be fun. I'll contact Sarona for details.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Tula
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  06:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tula's Homepage
Sarona has also built a small platform for artists to perform. Aloha, Tula

Tula
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page