Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slack Kani Ka Pila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile
A wonderful night of Slack Key with some members of the San Diego Slack Key Society (SDSKS) last night.
Brudda Ken was once again very gracious in opening up his home for us to gather and kanikapila (mahalo plenty ken). Ken offered tasty pu-pu's and open selections from his home brewed beers, (what a treat). Along with that, Dusty also provided pizza. (as usual, nobody wanted my teriyake PEZ's)
Attending were members; Ken, Bill, Terry (chunky monkey), Dusty, Greg, and new attendee, Mike McVay.
It was also a night of some beautiful guitars. Present were Dusty & Greg's Goodall's, Mike had a neat Koa Taylor, Terry was strumming his new Taylor, ( i forgot which model, but it played sweet) Bill had his Taylor with that real cool wood from Brazil who's name escapes me.
A combination of some old favorites, and original songs. I am always amazed at how those guys can simply "make up a song" in their heads and play some beautiful slack key. (...one day, some day, I can aspire to that. 'i think i can, i think i can...) Talk was generated about a possible weekend gathering to allow for more people to attend and jam...hope that happens soon!
A note to all you TP surfer's, brudda Keith will be performing a 2hr. solo gig at the E street cafe, 4-6 2pm* in Encinitas this Sunday. Stop by if you can, those who have never heard Keith play are in for a treat.
...that white-boy can play!!!..ha ha (seriously, Keith is a Hawaiian boy trapped in a haole body....oh, when will I stop)
Well anyway's, in the words of Uncle Clinton "never practice, always PLAY"
pau,
-SLKHO

* updated by Admin

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
woof, i miss playing with you guys. only a few more weeks of teaching night classes...

anyway, if you do want to hear me play this sunday, come by at 2, not at 4. i think that at 4:00 there's a fortune teller (which might be more interesting...)

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile
Oops! Mahalo for the update. Does the fortune teller play Slack too? ha-ha
Zoom likes Sonny Chillingsworth. arf-arf
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  11:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, it was a kick. Thanks for the report, Rik.

Mahalo to Ken for hosting us, once again. AlthoughI don't think Ken reads taropatch, though - does he, Rik?
*one little t makes a big difference

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 11/12/2004 08:45:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  12:03:58 PM  Show Profile
I think he does, or at least that's the impression I got when I mentioned TP.
By the way, you did mean Ken hosting, and not hosing us, right?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  1:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Mahalo to Ken for hosing us, once again
umm, maybe i should start seeing if there's a slack key society in orange county or something.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  1:48:43 PM  Show Profile
How about SW LA county? Anybody know anyone? a slack-key friend just left - told him to look at TP - he thought we should do this too. We just need players.
Just a side note/question: in high school and college a few guys played but mostly girls. When I was on Lana'i, it was all guys except for 2 of us, and then in the family at weddings - again mostly guys playing ukes - Is there something about that in Hawai'ian tradition or legend that the men are the entertainers or the musicians? I know the queen played and was very gifted...
Do your wives/girlfriends/daughters play?

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 11/11/2004 2:38:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Nancy,
Last year at Ozzie's & George's work shop in Little Toyko, there was a large number of slack key players from in-and-around L.A. and right there on the spot they were taking names to start their own slack key group in L.A. similar to ours in S.D. I don't know if it ever got off the ground however. But one thing for sure, there are quite a few people in the L.A. area who can definitely play. You can post on memo boards at local Hawaiian eateries in your area for slack key players, or contact various halau's, who always seem to know people in the music circles.
During old Hawaii, it was the men who performed hula, I imagine they also played the music as well. Today, there is no particular difference who plays the music. Both men & women are equally talented and accepted as entertainers.
There is an entertainer who plays every Saturday at the Long Beach aquarium, his name is Charlie Kiaha, he may also know of other slack key players in your area.
Hope this helps,
Aloha,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Nui!!
We have a local restaurant, Back Home in Lahaina, and I'm a member of the aquarium, so maybe I'll have luck there!
when you folks talk story, except for a couple wahine, you kane are the only ones active on the net.
Do you know where the E Street Cafe is? I checked switchboard.com and didn't find it under that name. I'm toying with coming down - would love to hear Keith play, but it's 200 mile round trip - wouldn't want to miss just cuz I can't find the place.
Aloha!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha nancy,

woof, the pressure's on! you can find out all the details at estreetcafe.com.

keith

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  07:02:08 AM  Show Profile
E-Street Cafe
128/130 West "E" St.
Encinitas, CA. 92024
ph# 760.230.2038
fx# 760.944.1107
http://www.estreetcafe.com

aloha,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  2:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha,

i wanted to give a mahalo nunui to slkho and donna, chunkymonkey and mary, and aunty nancy (all the way from manhattan!) for coming to hear me play today. i'm trying this relatively laid back way of performing to get me to concentrate more on polishing what i know, but it's still stressful. my friends really made it a lot easier for me.

playing solo for two hours is a lot of work! my concentration started to flag at the end. for those of you who perform, how long do you go before taking a break?

thanks again,
aloha, keith

PS AMC folks, i think you're all going to enjoy talking story with nancy. i sure did! i can hardly wait to see her and kevin together; they have some common history, i think...
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile
The pleasure was all mine! Now I know some of the folks in the taropatch!! And what nice folks they are! And Keith is GOOD!!!!! I was sure pumped and stayed that way for the 100 mile drive home. When we get our ka ni ka pila..... how IS that spelled, anyway?? I hope some of you folks will venture north. If you drive Fast, it doesn't take all that long.
CD Ki Ho'alo Christmas the insert/jacket has the slack key for each song!
And I need to learn lots more vocabulary like drop C...??
And Keith - more story - camp at Miloli'i on Big Island - on a Saturday night - 4 haoles intimidated. me? I have hapa kid so I get invited for pupu and talk story... That's where the locals went to fish = big pahty.....

Mahalo to all you wonderful folks out there -

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 11/14/2004 6:56:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  05:40:42 AM  Show Profile
MARZULLO CONCERT DEBUT Update.
For all you TP-ers who missed Keith's debut at the E-Street Cafe in Encinitas, you missed a good one. Keith had his big debut on Sunday and entertained us with about two hours of wonderful Slack Key stylings. Patrons in the cafe could be seen chatting, then all of sudden mesmerized by Keith's mele's. Feet were a tapping & heads were a bobbing as I looked around the room. Slack Key members attending were Terry, (chunky monkey) and his wife Mary, along with me and Mrs. Slkho, Puaho. Aunty Nancy drove all the way down as well. Nancy, it was a pleasure to meet you.
Keith played quite a number of songs, many that he was able to embellish - Marzullo style. ( mahalo for Pearly Shells Keith, better look over your shoulder. yuk yuk) as well as many favorite Slack Key favorites. If he was nervous on his debut, it didn't show. He was the consumate professional up there on stage.
Far as I know, no word of any groupies or autograph signings after the show. (or were there? h-m-mmmm)
Once again, mahalo plenny brah fo da kine slack key jams,
-slkho

p.s. i believe this will be a once-a-month gig for Keith, so for those of you who missed him the first time, you still have a chance to see him perform. Stop by, have a great cup of coffee,listen to great Slack Key, talk story and show your support for Slack Key.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  08:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Groupies need a CD or printed program if they want signatures...
I didn't want to go home but everyone else left...
Auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  12:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Keith

Jus wanted to tell you, I knew you first, before you became a star. :)
Wish i could've been there, But hey! when you get to maui, you can give us a personal performance, I'm so happy for you!

Keep Sharing, "Ki Ho'Alu"
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000