Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 i need help choosing.......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

m4k4n4
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  11:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Send m4k4n4 an AOL message
i need help choosing a really good slack key song to play for my guitar class final exam. teacher said you can choose whatever you want to play as long as its on an acoustic guitar.
i was thinking that i should play malasadas by sonny or he punahele by beamer( which i have yet to learn )......but i was wondering what other songs might be fast to learn and sounds nice.
thnx -justin

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  03:48:35 AM  Show Profile
Ask yourself some questions:

What tuning are you most familiar with? What note sequences are you most familiar with (parallel 3rds, parallel 6ths, etc.). What vamps/turnarounds can do you do in your sleep? What picking patterns are you comfy with. Do you want to include most of the range of slack key chords (Oz's Molehu has just about every common chord in it)or techniques (hammers, pull offs, slides up and down, chimes).

If you learn better/faster if there is a clear internal logic, then consider Sonny's Ho'omalu Slack Key (which is an excercise in variations on 3rds)if you can do h/po sequences well - as well as a couple of bass run variations.

Why did you consider the 2 songs you listed? How long do you have to learn a song?

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 11/19/2004 03:49:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  06:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Good advice from Reid. My first song was Moe Uhane from Hanson's book - I found it very sensible and intuitive, a reasonable tempo, some nice pulloffs and 6ths sequences and harmonics at the end. It also has a lot of repetition, so you get a piece of some length without a lot of new notes and a lot of memorization. I made a little chart to remind me of which variation I was on. A lot of the techniques and passages in that song are helpful in learning other pieces in the same tuning. That's my two cents. La Paloma from the Hanson book is also a straightforward piece, but doesn't have the typical Hawaiian sound of Moe Uhane. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  06:15:18 AM  Show Profile
If you want to show off, try a version of Hula Medley. For example go to the TP soundclick page and listen to Dusty's rendition. This is a Hal Kinneman flavored piece that Dusty has enhanced. I learned this version from tab that Dusty made. You can play it fast or slow, it has lots of places for different turn arounds (sic), parallel 6s and you can add, change or delete sections without much trouble. It's a piece that I use to warm up because it has lots of common components. It's pretty easy to learn and a listener unfamiliar with Slack Key will be impressed with your skill. It's also fun to play because it doesn't matter much if you make mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
are you learning from tab or by ear? (i don't know of any tab for malasadas). if by ear, kwan's arrangement of "yellow bird" is not hard to learn. it's a beautiful arrangement of a song most people know.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  07:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
How much time do you have and how quickly do you learn? What criteria is your teacher using to determine your grade? How technically difficult does the piece need to be? Is this a beginner/intermediate/advanced class? The more details you can provide the easier your question will be to answer.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 11/19/2004 07:11:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  08:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Justin,
I agree, follow Uncle Reid's advice. Keep it simple, play what you know. If your teacher, (or fellow students) haven't heard Slack before, you'll be fine, If time permits and you can learn a "show-off" piece then great.
Keep in mind, new songs are often messed-up in front of an audience. So best to play a mele you know with confidence.
The beauty of Slack Key is that every song sounds great.
Good luck, break-a-leg kinda thingee.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

m4k4n4
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  09:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Send m4k4n4 an AOL message
hey thnx everyone for your suggestions. Im in a guitar 2 class (intermediate) and the teacher doesnt grade strict like for example if i was playing my piece and i just said "oh nevermind" and walk off the stage then he would grade me bad, but if i try and give it all then i get a grade like a B or A depending on how many mistakes i put in.
I agree on playing a song that i already know how, but like im the kind of guy that wants to expand my horizons with different types of songs.
Iam pretty familiar with TaroPatch tunning Double slack tunning as well. I chose He punahele by keaola beamer because it sounds soothing, beautiful, and most of all i like the melody. I play by tabs with the music playing along in the background.
ive already learned how to play Malasadas by sonny. Oh and the exam date is not till december so i have some time to learn a new song and get it down pat! ahaha
Im not trying to show-off but i do wanna impress. Is that Hula melody anything like Hula Blues?
Go to Top of Page

m4k4n4
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  09:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Send m4k4n4 an AOL message
i retract my previous question. this hula melody sounds awesome! i couldnt find the sound page thing but i found it. anyone know where i could get the tabs from dusty if that would be ok with him.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  5:32:32 PM  Show Profile
The tab that Terry referred to (or is that refer'd to) is from Hal Kinnaman (halAThalkinnaman.com - replace AT with @ ). If you email him and get his permission, I'll be glad to send you a copy. However, it won't match my recording. I throw more and more in it as time goes by.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

m4k4n4
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  10:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Send m4k4n4 an AOL message
alright man ill try give it a shot later on. by the way dusty great music playing. i tried recording myself for malasadas i made one minor mistake cause my finger slipped. would anyone like to hear it and give me a feedback whether or not i should play this as my exam?
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile
Justin,

I emailed Hal. I'll let you know what he says.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  12:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Another easy to play/learn song in taro patch tuning is La Paloma also from Mark Hansen's slack key book.

Happy Sunsets
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  5:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Justin,

Hal gave me permission to share the Hula Medley tab with you, so send me your snail mail address, via email, and I will send you the tab.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 11/21/2004 5:21:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old poi dog
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  7:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Malasadas? Wow I've been trying to learn that piece. Is there a tab out for that? How would I be able to get a copy if one exists?
Go to Top of Page

m4k4n4
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  11:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Send m4k4n4 an AOL message
Thanks Dusty for all your help with the tabs for hula melody. I will also email Hal for his generosity.

Old poi dog, im not really sure if there are malasada tabs in stores, but i hope so. My father lent me the malasadas tabs and he got it directly from ozzie

Edited by - m4k4n4 on 11/21/2004 11:53:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000