Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Larrivee parlors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Larrivee parlor guitar in the next few weeks to take on a trip . I'd appreciate all advice/experience with different woods, models, etc.

Thanks so much,

Mark(E)

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  03:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I've enjoyed my mahogany backed parlor for several years, and certainly gottem my money's worth out of it. From my experience and discussions with others, the walnut backed guitars have the most punch. Rossasaurus has an all-koa one that is the prettiest. Older ones are less expensive because they came with much more spartan appointments. Medium strings work well for taropatch tuning, or just change the slacked strings to mediums and leave the lights in the middle. I've flown about 10 times with mine and never had to check it.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  09:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,

Yah, my koa is an older one; no binding or fanciness like the newer ones, but Larrivee uses very nice woods, even on the lower-end models.
I like the plain look anyway. If you're in the $$$ you can have a custom parlor done by Larrivee too.

Hey Fran, can i try your walnut some time? don't think I tried it when I was at your hale.

The koa is back, front & sides with mahogany neck, white soundhole deco.

Everybody tells me the koa is loud for its' size. I think the spruce fronts have a more rounded tone. Kevin Brown suggested med. AHS White Bronze strings to me for it and I like them now that I've gotten used to them.

Like Fran, I've popped it in many an overhead, often with it being my 3rd carry-on item (shhh) and steward(esse)s have only been helpful finding a place for it onboard. Last time it went in the closet.

I tried playing mid-flight once but all that hiss from the engines...couldn't hear myself.

The soft-case has protected it pretty well so far and allows it to fit where a hard case wouldn't.

Last I heard, the Parlors are still made in Vancouver, while the other body-types are done in CA now.

There have been few larrivees I've picked-up that have sounded lousy, but if you buy via mail/internet make sure there's a trial period and reasonable return/exchange policy. One of the lousy ones I heard I bought on ebay and was new, but when I got it, crapola! They refunded and I was only out the shipping.

Buffalo Bros. is good and usually have a few parlors in stock.
Their upgrade policy is awesome! They'll take a previously-purchased instrument as trade-in giving you FULL purchase price credit if you are buying a more expensive instrument, any brand.

You won't regret your choice of a parlor. let us know what you get.

There's a Larrivee online forum:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/forums/

Look for model reviews there.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 11/29/2004 10:08:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I've also heard that the walnut was the best sounding but my flame maple sounds and looks great too. (As does the all-koa version if you can find one.)

I have mine strung with Elixir Polywebs...the bring down the brightness a little and balance out the tone.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mine's not walnut, Ross, it's totally beat mahogany/sitka. But a picking friend brought a walnut around and it honked, and I've read on rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic from several folks that they tried a bunch and preferred the walnut ones.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I have a koa/spruce larrivee parlor. Pretty koa and the spruce has some bear claw. Only traveled with it once and the flight attendant let me bring it into the cabin while requiring me to gate check my other "normal sized" guitar. I think it sounds much bigger than its actual size. I do not think I play this guitar enough and might be willing to sell it. It's in minty condition and has always been well cared for. If you're interested, email me and we can discuss it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  8:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Dear Andy -

I emailed you about your guitar as I'm quite interested. Perhaps you didn't get them somehow. Anyway, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark (E)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  8:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, I've been out of town (and offline) for the past 3 days. Just got back. I owe you and Kawika emails. Hopefully tomorrow.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile
HI Andy,
That explains it....usually you are real quick to reply, so we got to wondering. Looking forward to hearing from you. Note-we will be offline from 12/7-12/12.
Aloha, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000