Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Acoustic Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  3:52:37 PM  Show Profile
What are some recommendations for acoustic strings?

Steve

kaulele
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  5:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kaulele's Homepage
I'll start out with an answer you'll probably find completely unhelpful, but I think it's the right one: It depends almost entirely on the sound you want to produce and the feel you're looking for. Personally, I've used nothing but Elixir Polyweb strings for years. They produce the mellow sound I'm looking for, last forever, and are smooth enough to let the fingers slide easily. But other people love the brighter sound of the Elixir Nanowebs, or the D`Addario EXPs, or for an uncoated string a phosphor bronze. 80/20's also have their following. In my experience, all of the name brands -- D`Addario, Pearse, Guild, Martin, GHS, etc. -- have good quality.

In short, there's no substitute for a bit of personal experimenting.

Good luck, and enjoy your playing.

Kaulele
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  6:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
... i once read an article by artie traum, which said (if i remember it right) that the only way he got the sound he wanted out of a recording session was to put on some old, worn out strings he had lying around.

i use nanoweb because i like the sound (less squeeeeeek and brighter than polys) and i'm lazy; i have to change them less often. the john pierce slack key strings sure sound good when they're new, though.

i suspect that if you hunted around enough, you'd find someone with discriminating enough taste to use one brand for 3 of the strings and another brand for the other...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  7:38:55 PM  Show Profile
The John Pearse slack key strings sound great, and feel soooo good on the fingers! They make me want to press!

janis
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  12:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks I will give the Elixir Polyweb a try I am looking for a mellow sound.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  11:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Steve,
Pearse, D`Addario, get a big thumbs-up from me. I kind of like the squeeeek, its very organic to Slack-key. Let's me know I'm really working the mele. The lightest gauge produces a beautiful sound, at least to me anyways.
I tried the Elixir Poly's, although great string longevity, they sound too dead to me, kinda slippery feel...EEeewww!
Leonard Kwan used nylon strings, and he did a pretty good at Slack Key as I recall. :-)
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000