Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Precious Gift
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Since this is the month of giving and receiving, I wanted to share a story about "receiving".

About a month ago my wife and i took a drive up country, since it was a beautiful day, we went all the way to ulupalakua. On our way down the hill, my wife wanted to visit her mom. ( in makawao.) We've been to her house many a times, but something moved my wife to visit her mom that day.

We stayed about 2 hrs. In those 2 hours i had a lecture from my mother-inlaw on how to lose weight. But i still love her!

Before leaving, my father-inlaw asked me if i was still playing music. I said yes, and he asked me to follow him. He took me behind the house to an old garage, Then he said i want to give you something. He took out a ring of about 50 keys, picked the right one and started to open the door. When we got in i could see an old model-t , he said the car belonged to his brother that passed away. ever since he died the car was locked in his garage. His brother built the model-t from scratch.

As i was looking at the engine he went behind the car and started back to me, he then said this is for you, when i looked up, it was a guitar. He said i want you to have it, and that he bought the guitar in 1942. I looked at it and knew the guitar was very old, I told him he should keep it or give it to one of his family members. He said no one plays music and that they have all passed on, he was the last of the brothers.

He wanted to pass it to someone that would take care of it and use it. And being i was like family, he wanted to pass it on to me. It's and arch top all koa guitar, theres no brand name on it, he had it in the back of the modet-t all these years and it was in perfect condition. Only thing it did'nt have, and it must've come of after the years was the lacquer. But what really kept the gutiar in good condition is, he took the strings off. We sat for awhile and he told me stories about the days he played the guitar, and the good times he had growing up as a musician.

I still felt uncomfortable about taking the guitar, what made me change my feelings was when he said, I'm happy that the guitar is out again, and knowing it'll be played once more, gave him such joy!

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin......

Kevin K. Brown

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your story. What a gift (even though as I read the story, I thought you were getting a Model T!) Seriously, it's so cool that you shared such a personal experience with all of us. The Brown `ohana will no doubt make that guitar sing.

If you take a picture of it, email it to me and I can post it if you'd like.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Kevin my Bruddah,

Great gifts come to great people. As I read your story I was reminded of the one you told Mark and me very late one night at Kaupoa about your first Ovation. It's just part of the mana. Ke akua pu and have a wonderful Christmas.

Frenz-4-Evaz

Kawika
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:04:10 AM  Show Profile
K-B, great story. I too, would like to see a photo of this koa guitar as well. (the model-T too)
These are the great stories that make up the fabric of slack-key. In slack-key, its not just the music...its also the stories.
My first 12-string I purchased was from an old Japenese fellow who held on to it for me for 2 years, (it was his first slack-key guitar) so he could sell it just to me. I very moved. He too, wanted it to go to someone he knew would play it. To this day, it remains the favorite of all my guitars.
pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Andy, believe me, thoughts was running through my mind when the garage door opened. Mahalo for the offer, i'll send you the picture.

Bruddah Kawika, my first ovation will always be special!

Yesterday i spent half the day with mark and his family, took them sightseeing and the keikis went swimming. Marks family went back to lahaina and the both of us headed to bounty music where we had our own private kanikapila in the back, until the store closed.

I know they'll be many more storys to come, from the taropatch ohana.

Hau'oli Lanui. ( happy holidays! )
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kevin,

Sarah and I are very happy for you and for your sharing of a treasured moment.

I really would like to see a *detailed* pic of the guitar. I am friends with two luthiers who actually made George Gruhn, of Nashville, the expert on vintage guitars - Kim Walker and Paul McGill. They can certainly ID it; they have seen and taken apart and put together every guitar on the planet.

As a wild guess - without any knowledge, it could be an old Gibson, and, depending on who designed and made it (Lloyd Loar's name comes to mind), it could be very exciting. (If it were a NY guitar made by one of the Italian luthiers, it would be even more exciting.) Look at http://www.guitars.net/elarcgal.htm and see if it looks anything like the ones pictured.

Happy for you, our dear friend,

Reid

It is also true, that as an archtop expert, Grimes, in your own backyard, could put a finger on it.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  4:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Kevin, that's a wonderful experience. If you have strung the guitar how does it sound and play?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  5:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
The photos are up!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  5:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Eh Kevin, that's a real beauty!
Is it my eyes, or is it one piece front, one piece back!? Be one big Koa, yeah?
Congratulations on being the recipient.
Was this the same gentleman you told the story about marriage and wagering......? If so, that adds a whole 'nother layer to this story.
Can't wait to hear it sing.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 11/30/2004 5:24:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  7:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
What a beautiful instrument, whether it plays well or not. I can almost hear it chording beside a fry pan steel guitar.
Instruments, like songs, have more meaning when there is a connection to the past, especially through family.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi kevin,

i loved your story... but i see that there's a lot of stories i've not yet heard! what's that about gambliing?

my closest story is a baritone ukulele. it's a silvertone that my father-in-law's best friend in college picked up in the late 40s. he thought it would be easier to learn than the guitar, but he quickly outgrew it and put it in a closet. then, when my father-in-law went crazy over ukuleles about five years ago, his friend gave the uke to him. whenever we would visit i'd pull out all of his ukuleles and tune them up, but he noticed that i liked this silvertone the best. it sounded as good, if not better, than the martin bari ukes i've played.

when we were going through his effects after he passed away in june, i opened the baritone ukulele case, and found that he had written a warm note that gave the ukulele to me and forbade me giving it back to his old friend.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 11/30/2004 8:12:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  03:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Taropatch Ohana

Andy , Mahalo plenty! for posting the pictures! I'm taking it to my friend craig that does all the repairing for bounty music, he'll put the finishing touches, or what ever it needs to be re-stored.

Slkho , great story, who made the 12 string? ( brand name?)

Reid , my aloha! to you and sarah, any plans on coming to maui soon? Mahalo for the web-site, showing the different guitars, sorry but could'nt find the match or make on my guitar. Mahalo for sharing,hope to see the both of you soon.

Wdf , Looking and tapping the guitar, i have a feeling it will be more on the higher tone.
We'll find out when it's finally strung up and played. Just like going to the doctor, have it examine first making sure all is well, then play it after. I'll be sure to let you know on the sound.

Ross , the front and back is separate, can't wait to play it.
Give my aloha to sibyl.

Wow, Keith! you have some storys too, this one is touching, you've talked about susies dad while on maui, and i feel like i've known him for a long time. How does the uke sound? ( tone.) I also have a silvertone guitar.

Mahalo for all of you sharing, I have a feeling before the season is over, they'll be many of special storys, to be told.

Me Ke Aloha / Happy Hoildays
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  03:44:49 AM  Show Profile
hapakid,

When my friend does the finishing touches on the guitar, my father-in-law will be the first to hear it, or even play it if he wants too.

Yes! storys go hand in hand, especially if it's to do with slack key.

Happy Holidays, Jesse.
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  04:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
It'll be fun to hear the history. I've often seen mariaches w/ guitars and bigger fiddles with very similar look to them.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  04:57:55 AM  Show Profile
K-B
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! nice guitar brudda, looks like a treasured piece for sure. Congrats!, I would love to know how it plays and sounds.
-slkho

ps thanks andy for posting it.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  05:58:20 AM  Show Profile
maybe he'll record something beautiful and post it for us -
n

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 12/01/2004 05:59:12 AM
Go to Top of Page