Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Precious Gift
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  3:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bruddah Kevin,

What a great story! I'm sure your father-in-law is very happy knowing that his guitar found a good home and that it will bring enjoyment to you, your family and the people who are lucky enough to hear you play. My friend once house-sat for a widow who went on vacation. When she returned she handed him a Gibson Model A madolin from the 1920s in great condition. My friend didn't want to take it because he knew the value of it if she sold it. To her though it was her deceased husband's and she felt wonderful about giving it to someone who get the same enjoyment of the mandolin that her husband did. Enjoy, that's some special gift!
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Just joining in on this one. What a great gift!
My story is not so much of a gift, but rather a find and an awakening. My dad was a real estate broker in western New Jersey (makes it sound like the frontier, doesn't it?). As his most prolific selling period was back in the 50s and 60s, he usually represented both buyer and seller. One of his penchants was for antiques, and he sure came across a bunch in some of those hundreds-of -years-old houses. On one of his forays, selling a home for an elderly woman, he was allowed free reign on the attic, first choice before the auctioneers came in. He was not a musician (other than an exquisite whistle and knowing the first 3 words of hundreds of songs, both in english and italian) but he loved all things italian, so when he saw the gourd-back mandolin, (he figured it was italian because he saw one in an opera once) he just had to have it. And, while he was at it, he picked up the other two instruments that were with it.
I must have been about 13 or 14 at the time, just having begun to play on my first guitar, a slim hollow body guild electric. Dad brought home the instruments, the gourd, another, funny looking little bugger that was strung the same as the gourd but had this funny curlicue body figure, and a small acoustic guitar. Well, it weren't no 'lectric guitar, so i paid it no mind. The funny instrument caught my eye so I looked it over real good. I have a great mental picture of that bluegrass mandolin, probably Gibson F4 or F5. But that is all; dad was also a wheeler/dealer and evidently somebody smart found out he had this mandolin and offerd him more for it than he'd paid for the 3, so he took it; $150!
He told me years later, after i had come back to an acoustic guitar and was getting ready to move to Colorado, that he had kept the guitar because he knew i might play it some day. He drug it out for me. Coffin case, lined with pink felt. Antique sheet metal hinges (heck, it is all antuique!) and clasps. Parlor sized guitar, gut strings. Worn fingerboard, one small crack in top near bridge. Wooden friction pegs in solid peghead. I still didn't know anything about guitars, but, as it was a gift, i took it along. That was 1969. I didn't play it, and was moving to Alaska the next year, so I gave it back, "for storage". Along about 1980 i traveled home and saw the case. By now I was a dedicated edge of the bed player, and had forgotten (or never thought of) to brign a guitar with me, so I tuned her up. Dang! This little thing sounds great!! Wonder what it is??? The label inside the sound hole reads "Schmidt & Maul" makers of blah, blah, blah, an address in NYC, and the date......you gotta love this...1846. Well, I took that guitar home with me then and there. Still like playing it but having a heck of a time keeping it in tune. Made the mistake of having a local hack try to fix that by putting in newer type friction tuners...sort of ruined the collectible aspect. About 8 years ago I was at the Martin factory and their resident historian made a few calls fo me and found out, yup, S&M made guitars just down the street from CF Martin in NYC from 1836-48. Since then Mandolin Bros, has tried to make it more playable, but still have the tuning problem and a buzz under second string. So, sort of back to the wall hanging mode. Maybe somebody will fix it a hundred years from now and play it again. OK, OK, I'll get it fixed and play it myself. It would make a great sized travel guitar! Gotta lose the coffin case for that, though....cannyou imagine trying to bring a coffin on a plane these days??

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  12:57:29 AM  Show Profile
No "Brand Name" Yet,

Oh how i enjoy reading these special storys! It would make a wonderful book.
I took my guitar to a friend that fixes and restores guitars. I told him the story, and the year it was bought. I wanted to know the brand name, so we started looking with a huge magnifying glass, there was no serial no. or name.

We then went to his library of books, went through every book that he thought would've had a guitar simular to mines, starting from the year it was bought, and also the years before it was bought, there was no match. ( some were close but no match.)

He looked the guitar over again and said there is a possibility that it could've been hand made by someone who knew about guitars or was great with wood work. While looking at the books he could'nt find guitars back then, that was all koa. Before looking at the books he made a test on the guitar to see if it really was all koa. The test is, sanding the guitar, and if underneath changes color, ( after sanding.) it's not koa.

Koa if sanding it, the color should still remain the same and should'nt change. ( after sanding.) So we knew then, it was all koa.

Craig ( repair man.) said the other possibility is this could've been the work of someone that was good with his hands and had the mind and skills of a luthier, because there was no markings of name brand or serial no. And being it was all koa, was another factor.

So to find out more i need to talk with my father in-law and see if he can remember where he bought it from, or who, and all of this can come to a rest. ( on the brand name.) Craig said if someone did make it, that person was very good! the shaping and cutting was to perfect for a person to make, but back then, ( in hawaii ) they had some good guitar and ukulele makers.

Mahalo Reid for sending the website for the guitars, could'nt find a match either. Maybe i should just leave it alone, I'm greatful what was given to me, But theres something in the back thats telling me, "Find out a little more about this gift".

Me Ke Aloha / Happy Holidays
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  9:10:37 PM  Show Profile
How'zit my Bruddah Kevin"....Mahalo for that beautiful story... It wen make me remember when my Grand Mother handed me my old Martin drapped with one trash-bag until it was revealed to me when I got home. Dakine let me know wen Craig pau with the restoration....Hohhhhh Brah......az da pi'tcha? JUs da uddah day I wen tune my Martin back-up and played it for awhile.... Aftah I wen tune da guitar back down and wen put it back in da case.

Look forward to one day get together again, you know, kanikajammapila again But as it gets very soon to that Holiday everyone's looking forward to, I pretty sure Ohana kine Gatherings are the PRIORITY PLAN. But there's always next year!

Please send regards from my Ohana To your Oahana.....and da rest of our Taropatch Ohana A Hui Hou! Malama Pono!!!

Slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Eh your name is still Slackkey Bill???.... haa! haa!

Wow bruddah bill, long time no see, no worrie whenever you can make it to waihee, we'll be there. ( make it soon though..) haa,haa, miss you over there.

I got the guitar back from craig 2 weeks ago, it has a high kinda sound like the olden days guitar. Craig put electric guitar strings on it since the guitar had know strings on for a long time. Just for now, and will change it to acoutic guitar strings after awhile.

He said to watch if theres any lifting up on the guitar, or any intonation problem. So far everything looks and sounds great.
I really like the tone, it's different my other guitars.

In another week i'll take it back and he'll strip the guitar, take off the keys, bridge, and strings so he can dress it up by doing a 3 step treatment on the guitar, so the wood can be preserved another 62 years.
My father-inlaw got it in '42. Im playing it at the waihee kanikapila, with the taylor, guild, martin, and ovation, that are played in waihee, the arch top '42 holds it's own ground.

I'll take another picture of the guitar after the treatment is done on it. We're taking a break for 2 weeks, ( in waihee.) because christmas and new years land on saturday. We go back to waihee on January 8. Good to see you back on taropatch, it'll be like old times, when you come back to waihee. Happy Holidays to you and your ohana. And also to the taropatch ohana's too.

Mele Kalikimaka, Me Ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou.
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  11:06:44 PM  Show Profile
WAssssssssuppppp!!!!!!! "Brah'Kevin"! Wow! It's great to know da "Waihe'e Jams" still stay going! Auwe! bruddah....da house renovations wen really keep us busy from start to pau! Now dat everything all pau, finally can 'bus-out da kika, and kanikajammapila once again! Dakine! da house get brand new paint job, one clotter-free garage with plenty room wen da 'kawilas no stay inside. Can make concert li'dat! Ha! ha! ha! Dakine...da song "Ua Mau"....az one long song eh? Question....da plenty verses...do you sing it da same as da hui in da beginning? Daz da next one I like learn how play! Everytime they show da "Kam School" Holiday commercial, daz da one they was singing! Az one beau-----tiful song! Who get one real nice version of "Ua Mau" on CD? Bum-bye let me know k! Well, gotta moi! Spock You La'tahs! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  05:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ohanabrown

Eh your name is still Slackkey Bill???.... haa! haa!
Slackkey Bill! Welcome back! We missed you.

Kevin - glad to hear your "new" old guitar is coming along!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Ua Mau

Is a church hymn that was sung by the people of Niihau, It originated from there. ( Moe Keales version is sweet.) since he was the first to record it.

The hui has a different melody from the verses, Infact last sunday the slackers, sheldon (upright bass.) jerry (steelguitar.) val, hal, dan, and i on the guitar, we played for the church, the kahu asked if we could come and play for the members. Ua Mau was one of the songs we did, He touched me, Aloha kalikimaka, Kawohikukapulani, Mele kalikimaka, Po La'i e. While playing these songs, you could see the tears running down from the kupunas, it was as though, they were looking back in the pass.

When you can bring back a little of the pass to someone, then you know all that you've learned, and shared, is the best gift that you could give.

I was told after, that Liliuokalani, in her younger days, came to maui, and attended the church in waihee. To those that come to waihee, before leaving everyone say's the same thing. "This place has a lot of mana, or This place feels like we're on sacred grounds". Know wonder everytime you step on the grounds of the church, you can feel a part of the past.

We missed you Duke, Bob, Ed, Keith, Kawika, Kitty, Fran, Mark, and the list goes on. Hey duke the next one is in hana right? ( Feb. 12 ) halau fundraiser.

Andy when the guitar is done with the final stages, can i send you the finish product? ( The picture i meant, haa! haa! )

Happy Holidays
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ohanabrown

Andy when the guitar is done with the final stages, can i send you the finish product? ( The picture i meant, haa! haa! )
Shoots, I thought the model T was coming again, but the picture would be great!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Eh Kevin -
I went shopping today... and as I am reading through TP, I am listening to a beautiful CD - Three Generations.....
Having music in your heart that you share is a huge gift.
mahalo -
auntie..

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
What a treasure and great story behind it, Kevin! I'm sure you'll make it sing as beautifully! Can't wait to hear you play it one day!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  09:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha Kevin -

Boy, what a beautiful gift! I cannot think of anyone more deserving than you, my friend.

Here's my 2 cents' worth as an old arch top player: I'd lay odds that the guitar was locally built by someone who built either guitars or ukulele regularly. Although it may be possible Gibson or some other mainstream maker did some custom koa jobs, the fact that it has one piece top & back, no finish, no binding, no inlays and no (at least as far as I can tell from the pix) pick guard mounting holes all argue against any of the name brands like Gibson, Stromberg, Epiphone, etc. The tail piece looks kinda like what you'd find on a Kay or Silvertone, too. Can't really see the tuners.

If it's all intact, I'd go ahead and string it up with some light guage strings -- arch-tops sound best under tension. If you can get some "new vintage" parts like Waverly tuners, etc, so much the better. I second the motion to take it up country & show it to Grimes. (If only cuz he's so much fun to pester...)

It really looks like a peach!

Can't wait to see (and hear )it in person -- which should be right after Valentine's Day, if I can swing the time off.

Until then, wishing you a very Merry Christmas.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Mark

Everything you mentioned is right, wow i did'nt know you worked with arch top guitars. Craig at bounty music is there repair man. He said by the way it was built, it looks like someone made it on there own, by either looking at another arch top or remembering what it looks like through memory.

If you don't make it over to maui in febuary, I promise you'll see it in kaupoa. ( the guitar.) Merry Christmas, Mark.

And, Happy Holidays to All.
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  1:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Kevin -

I learned on a very cool old Kay archtop w/ a floating Diarmond pick-up. It was my sister's -- Dad bought it for her used maybe in 1959 (?). She took lessons, but never practiced... I'd sneak into her room and play Jimmy Reed licks that someone showed me. One day she heard me playing and got so P.O.'d that I could play better than her that she, umm, "gave" it to me.

(OK, it isn't nearly the heartwarming story everyone else has posted... sorry.)

The Kay's long gone, sadly -- as are several of it's cousins: a couple cool Harmonys, a Kay Super 400 look-a-like, and my late, beloved Gibson L48 (dubbed "Dr. Rackety" by a bandmate because it was so dang loud..). That one went so I could buy a strat and work in sleazy bar bands... sometimes I wonder if I actually have a brain!

But then I've always been something of a horsetrader....

I totally love archtops - there's nothing that sounds better for comping chords. I don't own one at present, but I'm always on the look out for something cool.

I looked at the pix of your axe again --- with all that solid koa I'll bet that puppy barks like crazy!

If you bring it to camp, I may have to arm wrestle you for ocassional playing rights... particularly for the swing guitar class.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  10:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

The pleasure will be mines.....( Anytime you wanna play it.)

Aloha, Kalikimaka
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000