Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Precious Gift
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  08:19:32 AM  Show Profile
E Slackkey Bill!!

Good to see you back! We missed you. Sounds like you've been busy, though, with remodelling everything. That can turn a house upside down for sure

E kipa mai more often, okay? Especially now that you've got your Martin tuned up!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here's an update I received today...
quote:
Aloha Andy,
Here is an update for you on Kevin's guitar. He will give you an update on the details. He says it lost some of the "high" sounds with the refinishing....but Joe and I think it sounds warmer.....more "nahenahe".
The offer still stands for recording here on Maui...just let us know when you or any of the other "taropatchers" would like to come over and check out the studio. Anything we can do to help promote Hawaiian music.
Aloha, a hui hou
Joann and Joe

Email me for contact info which I've left out... now, about the recording offer...
quote:
Andy,

Aloha from Maui. My husband, Joe and I (Joann) have a nice little recording studio in our home. Kevin Brown has recorded here (his workshop CDs from past 2 years) as has his son Ikaika and daughter Kaena. We did some rough tracks for Raiatea Helm for her new CD. It was easier for her to do some of the rough work here on Maui instead of traveling back and forth to Oahu and we were more than happy to have her wonderful music in our home ....live!

We have a nice recording system with a Roland VS 2480 Digital Studio Workstation. Joe is a retired Aerospace-Electronics Engineer and has been playing bass for Kevin, Ikaika and Sheldon Brown for the past 5 years. He has been teaching himself slack key guitar (and taking pointers from others) and recently became interested in playing steel guitar. We have a grand piano in our living room too, Joe plays that for his personal relaxation and enjoyment.

So, whenever you "Taropatchers" are here on Maui.....please give us a call if you would like to record a song or two. We limit our offerings to Hawaiian music only. We can provide a nice stress free living room relaxed area for recording (my sofa is so comfortable visitors often fall asleep they get so relaxed). Next time you are on Maui, give us a call ( you can reach us thru Kevin too) and come by for a visit. We are happy to help perpetuate slack key music if only in this small way.

A hui hou,
Joann and Joe Bommarito
Wailuku Maui Hawaii....96793
The guitar looks pretty Uncle Kevin. How does she sound?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  12:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Andy

It plays really well, lost a little of the high tones, but it's got a nice mellow sound now. I put on, ghs white bronze, xtra lights, to make up for some of the highs that was lost, and it sounds great! I gotta put some "dot's" on the fret board, i'm so spoiled having them on my other guitars, this one is a challenge with out them. ( Dot's.) Andy, mahalo for posting the pictures.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  04:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Looks great Kevin. Also, I'll bet the sound will change, and get even better, as you use it; it has been asleep for a lotta years. Guitars *need* to be used.

Have fun with it.

Aloha,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  05:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin!
What a beauty!! I look forward to hearing you play it!
auntie-

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  10:58:41 AM  Show Profile
It looks great, Kevin. Enjoy!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  11:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage

Sweet guitar! Yeah, "dots" on fret board. It seems the older I get the larger the "dots" need to be and thats during the daylight hours. At night I may soon need to switch to the "bar" shape. Have a groovy day.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  11:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I posted about the recording offer. Please see right below the "finished" Kevin's new old guitar images.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile
So that means it's OK to look at the guitar while playing, but not the music?
old auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  3:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Nancy-
I'm not sure what's behind your comment, but it touches on a point that I consider important.
Having songs memorized is not the goal of music. Playing songs is. Don't matter if you need a lead sheet, words/chords, or a full score -- you gotta know the song, then if you need notes to jog the memory - what's the problem.

In performance -- people expect soloists in "recitals" to have the music memorized -- that's a recent custom. In lounge or restaurant work, most people don't expect memorization. When you're playing for your self or with friends -- why lay an extra trip on yourself. Learn the song -- you play it enough times you'll probably have it memorized anyway -- if not, who cares -- the music is the thing.

Of course, I could be reacting in a serious way to a not so serious comment,
but I've done that before.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile
aloha Ray,
Thanks! I used to be able to play the guitar without ever looking.... and I didn't use music to learn. But that was folk music. Now that I'm trying to learn this "easy" Hawai'ian music, I find I can't do those long slides without watching the dots, and I keep getting turned around with the couple songs I've sort of learned because the stanzas are similar, but not quite, the progressions repeat, but are little different. As I've said before, I'm not a musician, just trying to have fun...
My comment was sort of in jest, but also marked a bit of my frustration.
So I'll keep my music handy.
mahalo,
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000