Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Gotoh mini tuners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  6:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know where I can order Gotoh mini tuners online? I'm building a few customs that could benefit from the smaller size of the Gotohs, but I haven't had any success finding them. I know a lot of you build ukes in your spare time, so you all may know better than me about where to find some.

Thanks,
Paul

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  8:35:16 PM  Show Profile
I don't know where you can order the Gotohs, but have you seen Pegheds? They look like regular ebony friction pegs, the wooden kind, but they have 4:1 planetary gears inside. http://www.pegheds.com/

Dave Means is using special short Pegheds in some of his ukuleles. Scroll to the bottom of this page for photos, http://glyphukulele.com/Glyph_Instruments.html. I tried to talk Charles Vega into using them on a uke he is building for me, but he was concerned about their longevity. I don't know that he isn't super cautious, but then I dislike friction pegs, wood or metal, intensely, enough to color my judgement. I think I'll be getting some kind of small guitar tuners, instead. I think the Pegheds look very cool, though, and they are very light. Expensive, though.

Oh, no ulterior motive besides a strong curiosity about the product, no financial connection to either Glyph or Pegheds, etc.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 12/02/2004 8:39:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Paul, You can get them from Asa or Mike Chock at Hana Lima 'Ia or Norman Takeya at Uklulele Supply of Hawaii. I use them on the ukes I build and love 'em. They're both in the Honolulu area. You must know them.
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  2:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Paul, Bernie B has the right idea since Hana lima 'Ia is just a few blocks from you. Yes, please check out the tuners I think they would be an asset to your beautiful ukuleles. Many people may feel that it would be sacrilegious to use this type of tuner but I say move forward and go for it. Sometimes tradition is not the best course. The tuner doesn’t effect the tradition of the instrument it only allows for easier and more consistent tuning. If tradition in the look were that important we would all still be using wooden pegs (lol). Frankly I am terrible at tuning with the Schaller’s and was thinking about giving you a call to replace them with the Gotoh mini tuners with the rock solid string post. The Gotoh minis or an open geared tuner would really allow you fine-tune your instrument with ease owing to the tuning ratio vs. the 1:1 of the friction tuners.

Aloha

Philip

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  12:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Pauline - Thanks for the info. I saw some other banjo tuners that were similar to the pegheads, but I didn't understand how they worked, until I visited the pegheads website. I'm definitely going to use those style of tuners one day, on a custom.

konacat & BernieB - I checked out Ukulele Supply of Hawaii, but they're out of the gotohs right now. I had a sample set somewhere around here, but I can't seem to find it. With all the spare uke parts in our shop, we could probably keep production going for a month. Have you guys seen the friction styled geared tuners that Pauline was talking about? After I figured out how they work, I'm really interested in building a uke with them. They give you the benefit of the friction style size, with some of the benefits of a regular geared machine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000