Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Cannon in D
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
I spent some time this afternoon recording an mp3 to accompany my transcription of Daniel Ho's version of a Canon in D. Three tracks on my walnut tenor and one track with my Fluke. I hope it is good enough to make it onto Islandboo's iPod Now I just need a couple more ukesters to have some fun with this arrangement.
Dominator
http://www.rockslide.org/Images/canon_dp.mp3
The tab can be found at the link below

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!

Edited by - Dominator on 11/28/2004 12:50:45 PM

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  6:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't know about islandboo, but it's on my iPod!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  06:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely it's good enough! Keep it up, and I'm going to have to give you your own playlist!

Mahalo nui loa, Dominator, for helping to fill my holidays with sweet joyful music. May Santa remember your generosity and reward you in kind!

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thanks you guys. I am planning on doing at least one more in the near future. Just need to clear some space on my hard drive.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  7:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Dominator,

You should ask Craig to put these things on the TaroPatch
SoundClick page (if you have not already done so) !

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Very nice piece, Dominator! Very peaceful. When strummed with a pick, the uke sounds a lot like a harpsichord. And it's very melodic even without the cello/bass line.
I've been trying to learn this in taropatch, but I'll never be fast enough to play the 16th note sequences.
Keep the music coming! Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thanks Jesse,
I liked Daniel Ho's uke version the first time I heard it and I knew then I was going to need to figure it out.

Were you talking about using a pick in general on an uke making it sound like a harpsichord? I got an email from someone asking if I was using a pick. On all of the tracks for the Canon I am just using my thumb. I haven't figured out how to incorporate my other fingers into the mix yet when playing lead lines. Something else for me to practice I suppose.
Thanks again,
Dominator
PS: Have you got any new ukes under construction? I don't at this time but am getting itchy to start another. Probably after I get back from spending Christmas on Kauai.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  8:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I guess the "pick" idea came from the string tension, especially high on the neck, that gives it a sharper sound and quicker decay than some other uke recordings. You got one fast thumb!
I don't have any ukes underway because I'm still trying to finish my basement so I don't get sawdust all over the stuff stored down there.
But I finished a second weedwhacker string tub bass, with a bigger tub, which sounds pretty good (still looking for the perfect E string) and which I've been recording.
My last uke was a soprano built from leftover scraps from tenor projects. It came out looking nice, but didn't play worth a darn. It has yew back/sides, soundhole binding and fretboard, with mahogany neck and a yellow cedar headstock overlay. It also has a spruce top and mahogany/poplar alternating binding that looks sharp. But since I couldn't thickness the tone woods, it's built too heavy for a soprano, though would have been okay on a tenor or baritone. It looks nice on the shelf!
Lutherie is what your learn from both the good and the bad instruments you can build. I've played a couple small gigs with my round yew uke recently and it worked pretty well, including the $2 Radio Shack transducer.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  8:52:19 PM  Show Profile

Aloha dominator:
Your tabs for the music are lovely, especially the Canon in D. But I play baritone - any program that would transpose so I could use them?
Wishfully, Auntie Baritone

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  08:01:22 AM  Show Profile
Dominator, the MP3 is still lovely.

Cathe, the tabs are in Powertab. I've not tried it, but the software should be able to transpose for you.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Hello Cathe and Pauline. Thank you both for your kind words. I am just getting back into town from playing a gig last night in the bay area with my classic rock band. I will look into this and report back. I think by changing the tuning it will change the music notation but the chord names will have to be changed manually. I will let you know after I check it out.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  2:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Well, it looks like PT does'nt have a transposing function. All I could do was to change the tuning on all the ukes to bari tuning but all that did was change the notes and the pitch but the fingerings are all the same. So you could not play along with the recording at normal pitch. Maybe someone else has a suggestion aside from using a capo at the 5th fret and playing as indicated in the tab. Sorry I wasn't much help on this.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  4:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Cathe,

Hah, use the fingering and call it Canon in A, or is that Canon in G?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  1:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Dominator, Another great job and a very nice piece! I just want to add a note of thanks for all your hard work and your willingness to share with the Ukulele community. You have proved to be quite an asset for all of us. I have attempted some of your music but unfortunately it doesn’t work quite as well for me since I have little talent or musical ability. My child like strumming provides me with fun so it’s not a loss.

Happy Holidays

Philip

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  07:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Philip,
Thanks for the kind words. I really do apprciate it. It gives me much joy to know that folks are getting use of the tabs whether they master entire songs, learn their favorite parts, or just dabble with them. I think so many players have the ability to actually play their favorite tunes. The hard part is just figuring out what they are doing.
Happy Holidays to you and strummers everywhere.
Dominator

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000