Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Last Nights Herb Ohta Jr. Workshop
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  06:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Aloha folks,
I just want to say that, for me, last nights workshop will be a very memorable time. It was nice to meet a few of the folks from this board and it was especially thrilling to be able to jam with Herb Jr. on "Kaulana O Hilo Hanakahi" at the end of the session. He made my home made tenor sound better than I could have imagined.

I should have mentioned to the group last night that the opening vamp that we learned was the intro to "Kaulana O Hilo Hanakahi". Those that would like to take it a step further and investigate learning the song can download the tablature from my website listed in the signature line below. The version that I transcribed is from the CD "Legends of the Ukulele - Hawaiian Masters", track 17.

Fran and I have started to work on it together. Have fun with it and lets definately stir up some interest in the possible upcoming summer workshops for both Herb Sr and Herb Jr.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  06:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Wow, I got caught up in the moment when creating this thread and failed to mention that I was a guest at "your" event last night and I want to extend my thanks to Fran again for thinking of me and offering me the opportunity. Much Mahalo!
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  06:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'll bet Patrick and Herb were surprised at the turnout last night. We usually have about 10 in our class, and we had more than double that last night. I was sure impressed at how well Herb figured out material that worked for such a diverse group.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it certainly was a great workshop. Especially for us non-Ukers.

Upon Herb's suggestion I went for a search for the theory book written by his father. Kamaka did not have an official website (at least one that I could find), but I did find a book at Elderly music. I emailed Herb to see if it was the right one and he replied, "yes". So here's the website so we can order the book.

http://www.elderly.com/books/items/45-6.htm

Looks like a good stocking stuffer.

A hui hou

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 12/15/2004 10:29:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000