Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Tablature
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeycastaneda
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  3:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Aloha to Everyone,

Just started to play my guitar again after 15 years and decided to learn to play Slack Key since I love Hawaiian music. It keeps the memories of the islands strong in my heart.

I started with Daniel Ho and Steve Sano's "Contemporary Slack Key Guitar" book, it's great and I love the songs. But I can't seem to find any other tabs. Any suggestions where I can find any. I'm more of a technical player where I need the tabs....ears are not good enough to pick up a song by ear. Looking for more contemporary music from Hawaiian artist. One of my favorite artist unfortunately only recorded one CD..."Mililani"....love their songs but can find any sheet music. Where can I find sheet music or tabs?.....Help and mahalo in advance

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  3:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Joey,

I'm a recent convert to slack key, it's such beautiful music. One of my favorite sources for tabs is the instruction manuals on www.mele.com. A lot of the same titles can also be found at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. If you click thru to them from here, see Andy's Support section, it helps pay the bills at this site. See his lessons section too.

Now the old hands can tell us where they discovered their stash of more good stuff.

BTW, Auntie Maria's mele.com is worth visiting for her large collection of CD's, with 60-second sound samples of most tracks.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  7:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Read the books and instruction sections of this board. Most of the TAB collections are in there. Not a lot of slack key tab around -- its mostly a "learn by ear" tradition. Most other TABS come from taking a workshop, studying with a teacher or just passing stuff around.
I think the CD you're referring to is Keali'i Reichel's Melelana.
I don't know of any TABed out version. There are probably a few chord patterns worked out, if that will help. Problem is that Keali'i likes a lot of Eb key signatures, and that's real hard in Taro Patch. You might try a "D" tuning, then raise it one/half step to Eb. You can then play the song in "D" and it will sound in "Eb" The chording would be found on some of the sites Auntie Marie lists on the links page of mele.com.
Anyway, welcome to the slack key "'ohana" - nothing like it anywhere else.
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

makotom
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  9:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I also started playing the guitar after 15 years and am really into slack key.

Question to everyone. I have transcribed several slack key tunes I like to play and wonder if it is OK to share those TABs with others without any legal concerns (e.g. permission from original performer, composer, etc.) ?

========================
Makoto Morise
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  9:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Eeeek! Here we go again!

Sorry eh Makoto. We just had one really long and occasionally ugly discussion over legal issues surrounding the posting of tabs. Personally, the only tabs I plan on posting are for my original compositions. - And by the time I have any the internet will probably have been replaced with direct thought transference, yeah?

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 07/29/2002 22:02:15
Go to Top of Page

makotom
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  8:42:17 PM  Show Profile
OK. Sorry to bring up this old subject.
I didn't necessarily mean to post tabs. I wanted to know if it is OK to send those tabs (via e-mail or whatever means) if someone asked.

quote:

Eeeek! Here we go again!

Sorry eh Makoto. We just had one really long and occasionally ugly discussion over legal issues surrounding the posting of tabs. Personally, the only tabs I plan on posting are for my original compositions. - And by the time I have any the internet will probably have been replaced with direct thought transference, yeah?

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 07/29/2002 22:02:15

========================
Makoto Morise
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  10:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Makoto,

No need to be sorry. This site only started back in February so there really are not any "old subjects".

Since Mark Nelson has experience on the subject, I'll simply quote one of his former posts:

quote:
I work at a bunch of seminars and camps around the country – the policy is simply that no one can pass out TAB that they don't have the rights to. How do you secure the rights? Either you write the song, you personally arrange a song in the public domain or you get written permission from the copyright holder. Period.

Fair use doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Even for educational institutions.

The bottom line? If you have any doubts at all about whether or not to post TAB, or MP3s, or anything else on the 'net, don't.

I've seen too many well-meaning websites go down over this issue. If we start publishing TAB by posting it – or even posting that we will send it as an e-mail attachment, we run that risk.

Despite advocating the sharing of information among students, I cannot condone posting of TABs or emailing of TABs if there is any copyright violation. Just trying to keep this a happy, "well-meaning" website.

With aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

makotom
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  8:50:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. It is very clear.

quote:

Aloha Makoto,

No need to be sorry. This site only started back in February so there really are not any "old subjects".

Since Mark Nelson has experience on the subject, I'll simply quote one of his former posts:

quote:
I work at a bunch of seminars and camps around the country Ethe policy is simply that no one can pass out TAB that they don't have the rights to. How do you secure the rights? Either you write the song, you personally arrange a song in the public domain or you get written permission from the copyright holder. Period.

Fair use doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Even for educational institutions.

The bottom line? If you have any doubts at all about whether or not to post TAB, or MP3s, or anything else on the 'net, don't.

I've seen too many well-meaning websites go down over this issue. If we start publishing TAB by posting it Eor even posting that we will send it as an e-mail attachment, we run that risk.

Despite advocating the sharing of information among students, I cannot condone posting of TABs or emailing of TABs if there is any copyright violation. Just trying to keep this a happy, "well-meaning" website.

With aloha,
Andy

========================
Makoto Morise
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000